Everspace (Space shooter)

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So I loaded it up in the .7 patch. Managed to win what's currently there till the end of 7. I did end up in this Alien Race Ruin. It was cool. There are reasons to do future runs. Its really good still. Don't want to spoil much, a lot of this game is playing it yourself.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I hit my first Ancient Ruins or whatever, and I think I did the thing, but I'm unsure. I don't want to spoil, but I kind of want to ask questions. I'm unclear on what why how

Edit: It's just a shortcut, that's it? Seems weird

Last edited:

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So full release scheduled for may 26th.

Exciting news! We'll be leaving Early Access and going into Full Release on May 26th!

The Full Release version will add the story elements with missions, cutscenes and video sequences, as well as full VR support. Next to many tweaks and bugfixes, version 1.0 will also add Steam Achievements and Trading Cards.

The promised Hardcore Mode did not make it in time and will get added post release as a free update. We'll also start working on Joystick support right after release.

The Full Release version will support the following languages: Chinese (Simplified + Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish (Latin America). Voice Overs will be available in English and German.

Here's our brand-new teaser trailer:

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So this is 1.0 live on steam now, I'm about to boot it up and check it out. They did an absolutely massive change and pulled scanning probes out of the game. I think this is a good choice, about to boot it up and excited to see what's there. Will report back.

Here are the 1.0 notes.

The big day has come! We've just released version 1.0! We hope you've had as much fun during Early Access as we've had!

Next to a whole bunch of tweaks and bug fixes the biggest highlights are the addition of the story, VR support, more points of interest as well as steam achievements and trading cards.

A change that might need some explaining is the removal of scanning probes. Please read our thoughts on this right below the list of changes.

New Features
  • Added the story
  • Added more points of interest
  • Added achievements (version dependent)
  • Added new device: Sensor Relay
  • Added new ship colors
  • Added VR support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive
  • Added option to switch Yaw and Roll mapping for controller

Tweaks
  • Removed scanning probes from the game.
  • Added "radar memory": scanned objects will now remain on the HUD indefinitely
  • Increased spawn chance of comm hubs
  • Changed "Low Profile" glyph negative effect: Instead of increased jump cooldown there is now a jump suppressor in every location
  • Changed "Predetermination" glyph positive effect: Instead of no jump suppressors G&B and Okkar are now hostile to each other
  • Decreased "Bullseye" glyph shield regeneration percentage from 20% to 10%
  • Increased "Leech" glyph hull hitpoints regeneration from 10 HP to 20 HP per kill
  • Changed "Devastator" subroutine values from 50% / 30% to 40% / 40%
  • Gunship turret kills and player drone kills will now reset the kill timer while using the Berzerker glyph
  • Spawn superior loot with high enhanced weapons chance behind locked doors of derelict colonial stations
  • Give a credits bonus for each sector reached
  • Show total cost of perks with sub levels and credits already spent on level
  • Added more codex entries
  • Added illustrations to codex entries
  • Okkar Interceptors will now occasionally use teleporters
  • Replace Gatling Turret with Front Shield Generator in Gunship Loadout C
  • Reduced energy consumption of some weapon mods
  • Reduced energy consumption of device mods
  • Reduced Damage Booster bonus
  • Reduced Shield Booster Mk2 and Mk3 bonus
  • Damage Limiter consumable reduction is now calculated separately after armor damage reduction instead of adding it to the armor damage reduction
  • Increased Missile Defense System duration
  • Balanced Ancient "Teleporter" alien: Less damage but better accuracy
  • Set maximum number of ARC-9000s per secondary slot from 2 to 1
  • Further increased Time Extender cooldown durations
  • Increased speed at which plasma is collected in plasma fields
  • Decreased Ancient Weapon damage bonus
  • Increased Nano Injector repair amount to match the required Nano Bots
  • Grey Goos are no longer affected by ARC-9000
  • Performance optimizations, especially on medium and low settings
  • Prevent black holes from spawning close to ancient structures
  • Do not show missile lock warnings if Beeline enhancement is installed
  • Increased Flak Cannon 5-5 damage
  • Increased Sensor Drone hitpoints
  • Increased Elite Access Key drop chance from 40% to 75%
  • Made a few UI changes to the cockpit displays
  • Changed spacing, colors and positions of a few UI elements
  • Added run duration to hall of fame

Bugfixes
  • Fixed Splitter Glyph not forcing a start with only one empty secondary weapon slot when having loadout B or C selected
  • Fixed Equalizer Glyph not affecting Health after very first jump (start of game) and after using jump gates
  • Fixed Leech Glyph not regenerating hull hitpoints when destroying turrets
  • Fixed Bullseye Glyph falsely recharging the shield when hitting non-NPC objects
  • Fixed splitted "Ancient Friends" being hostile and damaging the player
  • Fixed tooltips showing on locked ships loadouts
  • Fixed some navigation issues in setup screen
  • Fixed being able to escape from system map before jumping away by pressing next/previous tab
  • Fixed large ships (e.g. Okkar Corvettes) receiving huge amounts of collision damage
  • Fixed "Colonial Interceptor" always being displayed in end of run screen, even if Colonial Scout or Colonial Gunship were chosen
  • Fixed visual upgrades for ships getting mixed up
  • Fixed spread mod not affecting energy
  • Fixed charge duration of weapons which was affected by energy consumption reduction
  • Fixed Corrosion Missiles stop doing damage if Outlaw Drone Carrier brings up shield
  • Fixed ship geometry not being hidden in 1st person no-cockpit view when playing with a high FOV
  • Fixed freighter jump charge effect not being displayed

Regarding the removal of scanning probes:

We watched a lot of streams and videos of people playing EVERSPACE and noticed that crafting/using scanning probes has become too obligatory. The routine would be to craft and use a scanning probe at the beginning of every location which is neither fun nor does it promote explorative gameplay. We realized that a lot of gameplay elements would not work the way we intended, i.e. cloud fields, comm hubs, jump suppressor signals and many more. On the other hand, not being able to craft scanning probes (e.g. due to a lack of gas) would result in frustration, so increasing the crafting costs was not and option. Our solution: Remove scanning probes completely, add radar memory (so that scanned objects will remain on the HUD), increase the amount of comm hubs and introduce a new device, the sensor relay which increases the ship's sensor range.
With these changes in effect, we noticed a huge improvement in gameplay, shifting the approach towards risk/reward driven exploration rather than dully working off HUD markers one after another.

We hope you agree!

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Any straight talk summation of this game on release? I was burned by how.... empty/not fun elite dangerous was. Basically I dont think I've liked any newer space games since like xwing/tie fighter and then a lot of the sprite based top down 2d stuff like starsector and escape velocity.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This is Faster than Light meets an arcade space sim, you die, you start the run over. Up till this patch there was no story mode, I'm 3 sectors and my first death in. I opted to restart all my unlock progress - their recommendation. You explore you fight, you loot and salvage all kinds of resources.

You should visit earlier posts, I expressed my thoughts on the game. I highly recommend it.

The mouse/keyboard are the best control scheme, but if you have a steam controller my config is there which maps entirely the keyboard mouse controls. Its about 98% of what the kbm can do.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Big patch, supposed to be hotas support and some VR streamlining. Game is really worth a look, keep it on your radar if you haven't.

Patch 1.1.0 - Changelog
AUGUST 17 - ROCKFISH GAMES
We've just released a new update. Highlights include the promised Hardcore Mode, TrackIR support and fully customizable controls for HOTAS, Joysticks and Gamepads.

Here's the complete list of changes:

New Features
  • Added Hardcore Mode
  • Windows (64bit): Added Joystick and HOTAS support
  • Windows: New controls menu to freely configure Mouse/Keyboard, Gamepad and other input
  • Windows: Added TrackIR support
  • VR: Added mouse / keyboard support
  • Added new languages: Chinese (Traditional), Japanese, Korean
  • Added a spectator camera that can be activated during Action Freeze mode
  • Added basic colorblind option affecting HUD marker colors
  • Added option to select the anti-aliasing method (Off / FXAA / Temporal AA)
  • Added option to change the screen percentage in non-VR mode
  • Added option to toggle Motion Blur
  • Added option to toggle Chromatic Aberration
  • Mac: Steam Achievements and backer rewards (via Steam) now working on Mac
Tweaks
  • Buffed Gunship: Starts stronger (more hitpoints, more armor, more energy regeneration, increased boost) but ends up with same values as before when fully perked
  • Slightly reduced enemy accuracy on "Hard" difficulty
  • Increased HUD visibility when sensors are damaged
  • Slightly reduced Okkar Drone burst duration
  • Slightly reduced Coil Gun spread
  • Destroyed ships no longer deal collision damage while tailspinning
  • Show message when fuel limit is reached
  • Show current cooldown of devices, secondary weapons ammo and consumables amount in selection wheel
  • Increased Temporal Anti-Aliasing sharpness
  • Updated tonemapper and color grading to work with UE4.16
  • Added a "fully mined" indication sound
  • Used a special warning sound for silo missiles
  • VR: You can now reset your camera orientation via the gamepad by holding down [Select]
  • VR: Decreased the size of the mission markers
  • VR: The Oculus Rift mirror window is now undistorted
  • VR: Added "aim with headtracking" option to keyboard options menu
  • VR: Disabled VSync and FOV options in the display options menu, since they should never be modified for VR
  • VR: Enabled monoscopic far field rendering, which should improve performance a bit
  • VR: The sensor damage screen effects are now disabled while the player is in a menu
  • VR: You can now reset the device orientation during cinematics playback
  • VR: Added some missing UI animations
Bugfixes
  • Fixed a bug where clones would not spawn again if once killed and then exited out of the run and continued
  • Fixed infinite loop bug when selecting previous consumables if there is an empty slot at the end
  • Fixed Okkar Corvette Mk2 plasma cannons not becoming friendly when Corvette gets mainframe-overridden
  • Fixed Missile Turret device not all stats being displayed
  • Fixed thermal beam not being affected by sound fx volume settings
  • Fixed wrong Gunship device slot amount showing in perks screen
  • Fixed "Scanning..." message occasionally not being removed
  • Fixed Okkar forces and Warships jumping in with Low Profile Glyph equipped during story missions
  • Fixed fuel being restored after a jumpgate jump when having the Fuel Conservation glyph equipped
  • Fixed teleporter device wall hack
  • VR: Fixed an issue with some HUD widgets still being visible in menus
  • VR: Fixed that you could apply the resolution/FOV in the display options which would then get loaded in non-VR mode
  • VR: Fixed that you could enter the action freeze mode via the keyboard, resulting in a black screen
  • VR: Fixed the positioning of the aiming assist marker
  • VR: Fixed a slightly offset crosshair when "aim with headtracking" was selected
  • VR: Fixed that the crafting list widget didn't scroll correctly
  • VR: Fixed wrong positions of main menu / intro video when launching the game with an HTC Vive. This is a workaround for a SteamVR plugin bug that slightly increases loading times with HTC Vive headsets.
  • VR: Fixed that the game would lose input focus when Alt+Tabbing out of the game window or clicking anywhere else
  • VR: Fixed a hanger that could occur when resetting the run or game from the options menu
  • VR: Fixed invisible health bar of the final boss
  • VR: Fixed that you could open the system menu while jumping
  • VR: Fixed a rare crash that could occur when approaching traders or service stations that are about to jump away

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I could see co-op being super fun but I think MP would just need to be a different game. It seems like the PC world is long overdue for a new multiplayer arcade space shooter though. Everspace scratches the genre itch fairly well otherwise.

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
Picked this up last night and I'm having a lot of fun playing it. I only have one complaint about the game, either it's hard as fuck or I'm a damn shitty pilot......probably the latter.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
There is a DLC out for this now for $10. Haven't got to play it much yet. Has a new ship, new weapons, new stuff to encounter, a new station thing that you can get upgrades for your ship in the current run.

Seems worth it, I noticed the stuff. I still enjoy this game a lot, though I don't get to play it much

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Bump. I just started playing this game. It's fun! I never saw it on my radar, it's not on sale atm or anything, but I do enjoy it a lot so don't regret paying full price for it. I'm a sucker for games that allow you to die and restart, but get a little stronger each time, etc. It's also very beautiful, they did a great job graphically.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kinda annoyed that I backed it on KS, they release it "fully" finally and then 4 months later, $10 DLC. I need to get back into it but don't think I'll bother paying that extra.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The DLC apparently was really really good for the game, I don't know though, I played it with it from the start.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This looks interesting since I've been craving a space shooter, but something with more rpg. This definitely doesn't fit that at all, unfortunately, though it does look pretty. Only posting here for suggestions. Something like old school SolarWinds with a story, rpg elements, but isn't so fucking tedious as the X games where you can go full on space truck driver and just transport goods. Looking for good space drama, battles between species, with good space combat, special equipment, ship management, shit like that.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Its an ancient game but I love the 3-4 escape velocity games. Can actually still buy from ambrosio but not sure it runs right on modrrn comps.
This looks interesting since I've been craving a space shooter, but something with more rpg. This definitely doesn't fit that at all, unfortunately, though it does look pretty. Only posting here for suggestions. Something like old school SolarWinds with a story, rpg elements, but isn't so fucking tedious as the X games where you can go full on space truck driver and just transport goods. Looking for good space drama, battles between species, with good space combat, special equipment, ship management, shit like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Early access for Everspace 2 is sometime this month on Steam. More RPG it looks like?

EVERSPACE™ 2 is a fast-paced single-player spaceship shooter with deep exploration in space and on planets, tons of loot, RPG elements, mining, and trading. Experience a thoughtful story, set in a vivid, handcrafted open world full of secrets and perils, on your journey to become human after all.

There's a demo on steam. I haven't tried it but maybe it will scratch our Freelancer itch.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah based on reading the Steam Forums it looks like they removed the Roguelike elements and made it more open world RPG'ish? There will still be timed zones you can jump to that will force you out but otherwise it is go at your own pace. The first one was really great even if they missed the mark in a few places. Interested to follow this.