Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There was a time in asain kung Fu movie making where they were pretty stuck up about the actors actually knowing martial arts or they couldn't get the job. I think Michelle yeoh was one of those trailblazers that demonstrated that needn't always be the case.

Jet LI is another one who was proficient in dance first, then learned "movie martial arts" after he was already making movies
in hk films there is no such thing as "stunt double"

even this one theres no stunt double

theres no harnesses or wires either, she just landed luckily for someone that never rode a bike b4

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There was a time in Asian kung Fu movie making where they were pretty stuck up about the actors actually knowing martial arts or they couldn't get the job. I think Michelle yeoh was one of those trailblazers that demonstrated that needn't always be the case.

Jet LI is another one who was proficient in dance first, then learned "movie martial arts" after he was already making movies
Movie martial arts is dance and the requirement to have taken it may have been due to CCP oversite/requirements.

Part of the great leap forward by Mao was to make all combat martial arts illegal (not officially, per se, but it was a "waste of time") and set up the contemporary Wushu school, which was more akin to ballet, than anything useful for fighting. During the great purges, part of the millions killed were every martial art's master (and probably many students) they could get a hold of, unless they had already summited to be being a Maoist, and even then, the schools were still closed. Some escaped, by fleeing to Taiwan and the West.

It sounds like the CCP has only loosened the reins (on what can be taught) in the last 20 - 30 years.

It's difficult to find anything scholarly on the subject to link, most of the work on the Mao purges/starvation aren't going to spend much time on this small aspect of it. I first heard about CCP's total domination over what can be taught, on HBO's Real Sports (I think it was) many years ago.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Movie martial arts is dance and the requirement to have taken it may have been due to CCP oversite/requirements.

Part of the great leap forward by Mao was to make all combat martial arts illegal (not officially, per se, but it was a "waste of time") and set up the contemporary Wushu school, which was more akin to ballet, than anything useful for fighting. During the great purges, part of the millions killed were every martial art's master (and probably many students) they could get a hold of, unless they had already summited to be being a Maoist, and even then, the schools were still closed. Some escaped, by fleeing to Taiwan and the West.

It sounds like the CCP has only loosened the reins (on what can be taught) in the last 20 - 30 years.

It's difficult to find anything scholarly on the subject to link, most of the work on the Mao purges/starvation aren't going to spend much time on this small aspect of it. I first heard about CCP's total domination over what can be taught, on HBO's Real Sports (I think it was) many years ago.
jackies only black belt is hapkido

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
in hk films there is no such thing as "stunt double"

even this one theres no stunt double

theres no harnesses or wires either, she just landed luckily for someone that never rode a bike b4
the youtube channel Corridor Crew does a weekly react episode on saturdays, and it's often reacting to stunts. they'll bring in professional stuntmen to give behind the curtain insight, so-to--speak and they almost always do some wushu movie where they talk about how little pads they use and how insane the stuntwork is. and that the stuntmen themselves (bad guys getting beaten up by the protagonist) take HUGE beatings and get paid like $50 a day

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Going to watch this soon... is this going to be what I expected The Adam Project to be (but that movie completely wasn't)? I.E. a complete mindfuck of a movie where I have to take hard mental notes to understand what is going on like Tenet or is it pretty easy to grasp what they're getting at with the concepts?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not every martial art uses belts to mark some rank of proficiency?

I'm not much into MMA anymore, or martial arts in general, but last I watched MMA fighting (15+ years ago) most black belts (or belt systems) were laughed at as participation prizes for white people that take the worthless martial arts like Karate. The only serious combat MMA that used belts, at that time (I think), was BJJ and the big Korean one (don't remember the name).

So, Jackie Chan could have proficiency in combat martial arts under his belt, and the comment about only earning 1 "black belt" would be meaningless. I have never sat thru a full Jackie Chan movie and don't know much about him (other than he does his own stunts).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not every martial art uses belts to mark some rank of proficiency?

I'm not much into MMA anymore, or martial arts in general, but last I watched MMA fighting (15+ years ago) most black belts (or belt systems) were laughed at as participation prizes for white people that take the worthless martial arts like Karate. The only serious combat MMA that used belts, at that time (I think), was BJJ and the big Korean one (don't remember the name).

So, Jackie Chan could have proficiency in combat martial arts under his belt, and the comment about only earning 1 "black belt" would be meaningless. I have never sat thru a full Jackie Chan movie and don't know much about him (other than he does his own stunts).
jackie was trained in chinese opera martial arts, it's also why he has the voice of an angel, while that gave him the ability to act, tumble, dance and be super flexible (as shown by his brother samo hung), it was lacking the on screen aura and kicking power shown on screen by bruce lee, which is why they learned and studied under flying tiger and thats where jackie got his black belt in hapkido.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Going to watch this soon... is this going to be what I expected The Adam Project to be (but that movie completely wasn't)? I.E. a complete mindfuck of a movie where I have to take hard mental notes to understand what is going on like Tenet or is it pretty easy to grasp what they're getting at with the concepts?
It's all over the place, but easy to follow. Also, lol, Tenet made less the more you paid attention to it.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Typically when we think of "Chinese" martial arts movies, we think of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li etc. Then you have the action movies of Chow Yun Fat etc. Majority of these were made in Hong Kong when Hong Kong was still British.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
It's all over the place, but easy to follow.
^ Accurate!

They need to just ship the editor an oscar right now for the editing work. Brilliant on that front.

This movie reminds me of Parasite (obv because of Azn!). Highly detailed and complex but good natured and humorous. The heart of this movie is about family bonds and eternal love for family. After that, it just really makes you think... it's very relatable. I went from thinking about the state of matter as a rock to the heat death of this universe via a giant black hole and all the while, THOSE concepts were anthropomorphic in nature. Sounds crazy? The movie is.

Very cool film.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
How complex is this movie? Considering taking an elderly relative to a movie, and it'll be either this or Batman. I feel like she'd probably like this more, unless it's complex / all over the place in which case she'll probably be confused, unfortunately.

Side note: Relatives getting old fucking sucks. People who were superheroes to you when you were a kid, and then in your late 30's they barely seem to know what's going on anymore.

• 1Solidarity

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
How complex is this movie? Considering taking an elderly relative to a movie, and it'll be either this or Batman. I feel like she'd probably like this more, unless it's complex / all over the place in which case she'll probably be confused, unfortunately.

Side note: Relatives getting old fucking sucks. People who were superheroes to you when you were a kid, and then in your late 30's they barely seem to know what's going on anymore.
If they're at Joe Biden levels of senility, they're probably not going to enjoy it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
FoHboyz doing yourself a massive disservice if you still haven't seen this movie.

I might even put it in my top ten Best movies I've seen in the past decade.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users