Evil Dead Remake

Raimi lovingly refers to the car as "The Classic". I'll assume the car being there is just a nod to us fans of the original, but I'll secretly hope for some kind of tie-in.

Szlia

There is something mysterious about this movie: it's made by a couple of Uruguayan guys who prior to that only made a handful of short films together and the screenplay is co-written by Diablo Cody!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I think I read a while ago Raimi saw one of their short films on youtube and contacted them or something.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
That AICN article mentions how they can't use the name "necronomicon" because of rights issues. How does that work when it was blatantly copied from Lovecraft in the first place?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i have seen the word necronomicon used in other non-lovecraft, non evil-dead movies/books. its one of those words that have entered pop culture. im sure there are people who thought the book really existed.

Juvarisx

Florida
Honestly, I had refused to even watch a trailer for this because the idea of remaking this made me angry. However that trailer gave me a lot of hope that this will be a good movie like Evil Dead 1 was. Interesting about Ash's car being there still, if its a tie in I will be far more accepting of this movie then I would be otherwise.

I think I would have been a LOT more irritated if they tried to redo ED2.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60243

Interesting on set report. Of note, Ash's abandoned Oldsmobile is near the cabin, covered in lots of leaves. If you read the interview, he likes to think of the movie is a reboot/sequel of the original ED1, as he correctly points out that ED2+AoD are basically the reboot/remakes of ED1. Which means Ash is dead (original ending of ED1).

They also mention Raimi is pretty key on having mostly practical effects /w minimal CGI, although they express some concerns on how the MPAA will try to tree-rape them.
It'll probably be rated R but I can't see them going to over the top with an X rating or something.

Lots of movies and TV shows have rape scenes in them. Heck just look at Law and Order: SVU. That shit runs every night on prime time.

I think it matters more about how graphic the scene is depicted. If it's a few moments of a nude shot, I doubt it will be more than R rated.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's been a long time since I watched them, but I also remember having the distinct impression that after they made ED1 they sat down and watched it. They were honest enough to realize it was just awful waste of time and a complete failure. It wasn't scary, it wasn't funny, it was just terrible. But instead of being all sad and arty about it they went ahead and played to their strength and succeeded with 2.

A good remake of ED1 would just be ED2. You can't make that movie without Bruce Campell and you can't update any special effects without ruining it.
frown.png

It'd be like trying to make a new Hercules without Kevin Sorbo.

vulken3_sl

shitlord
I think it may be taking a Cabin in the woods effect style with ed series. I'm actualy going to give it a benafit of the doubt.

This is one remake I'm really excited for. I hope they didn't give us all the good parts in the trailer though. Let's not forget that Hollywood could f*ck up a wet dream!

Noahx

N00b
Looks good - making me want to pop in the 3 deads and pull a little marathon. As long as they get a insane laughing scene and "workshed" in there... this will rate high by me.

Probably has to do with the tree rape scene.

You can always wait for the directors cut on dvd or blue ray to see it uncensored.

This isn't the type of film I'm going to rush out to watch but I might pick up the dvd depending on reviews.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the original evil dead had problems of its own getting shown. it was one of the "video nasty's" over in the UK. it was banned for a bit. as was mentioned, the tree rape scene was the likely candidate for that.