F1 2014 Season

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Nice for Ricciardo. It will be interesting to see what the problem was that caused both Mercs to lose power at the same time (if they tell us).

Other big news:

Red Bull's Adrian Newey shifts sole focus from Formula 1

Red Bull say Newey will "work on new projects, as well as advising and mentoring the F1 team". Team principal Christian Horner declined to say exactly what that meant for the F1 team, insisting Newey was "still very much involved". But Newey said he was taking a "step back" from F1.

The move keeps Newey out of the grasp of Red Bull's F1 rivals - Ferrari are reputed to have made a big-money offer to him this season - but could mean Red Bull will have to re-organise the process by which they design and develop their F1 cars.
BBC Sport - Red Bulls Adrian Newey shifts sole focus from Formula 1

And looking back at this, Vettel is a lucky man (@ 1:15 in)

BBC Sport - Canadian GP: Huge crash for Massa and Perez ends race

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Well that was one of the best races I've watched in years. Half way in I was accepting that the result was in the bag for Rosberg ( or Hamilton if there was some issue with Rosberg )

But then that all got tipped on it's head and the race was on for anyone.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
It will be interesting to see what the problem was that caused both Mercs to lose power at the same time
You could see on the onscreen graphics they were using no battery power. The fact they were able to hang in there as much as they did with no battery power at all is crazy. It's not just the 160 horse or whatever it is, but the tricky stuff they use it for like the sneaky traction control stuff.

Silence_sl

shitlord
It's not just the 160 horse or whatever it is, but the tricky stuff they use it for like the sneaky traction control stuff.
There is no sneaky traction control stuff. They all use common ECU provided by McLaren Electronics. Each team must provide source code to FIA, and that code must match what's in the ECU.

The FRIC ban is a joke, and the only reason why the FIA put it out there is to shake up Mercedes' domination of the season. FOM are wondering why viewership is in the complete shitter this year, and this is just another reason.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
The theories I remember reading about is that the electric motor doesn't use the ECU, so you can harvest or apply power in response to input, in this case load sensors on the suspension feed into it.

I was surprised the teams were able to remove the fric stuff, though it sounds like some left it on and just blocked the hydraulic flow. Wonder if anyone will try to cheat.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Germany was a fun watch. No contest for first, but lots of good action. I also really liked all the sky extra stuff this time with the exception of the grid walk, hope that doesn't become a habit.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you guys still around? Spa was pretty entertaining - can't wait to see Monza. Hopefully Rosberg got her nails done and her coiffeur all set. I think it's great having a whiny bitch in F1.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Missed Spa because the wife wanted to not sit around on a sunny Sunday.
Priorities, she has them wrong.

Anyway, I only saw small clips of the Rosberg / Hamilton scene... but there it looked like Hamilton cut into him. Sure Rosberg would have to back off since Hamilton is ahead by almost a full car length by then but yeah. Guess everyone has their derp moments.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
So tonight was the first Formula E race, full of old F1 drivers and a few I didn't recognize. It is really odd, but I actually enjoyed it.

Lots of wtf-am-I-watching moments with a DJ playing music, and the cars sound like remote controlled cars with gear changes, but the racing was pretty good.

Be warned if you goog for it you are probably going to see a big spoiler.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Formula E's first race was pretty good today. They need to ditch the fucking DJ though.

The ending though wow...

YjpWV4.gif

Silence_sl

shitlord
Vettel to Ferrari. Wonder if Fern's going to McLaren Honda next year...Honda dangled a GIANT check in front of him to lure him in.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Well that all looked pretty nasty!!

I've seen pictures that show the aftermath with the car wedged in under the rear of the loader. High amount of damage.

It's just a matter of waiting to see how he goes.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Race was pretty great today but I love watching the races when it rains. It does suck how it ended today hopefully that guy pulls through.