F1 2014 Season

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
he ignored double yellow flags. didn't slow down at all. maybe he didn't see them

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Well the conditions were apparently so poor that he probably would have hydroplaned either way. His tires were extremely worn and he hit standing water.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If he ignored a yellow flag, why was the dude directly above the crash site waving a green? That GIF above shows it clearly.

Feien

Ploppers
Plus the loader was out there without the race having a security car leading the pack. It's my understanding that is a no no.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
In F1 they have local yellows. The green was waving to signify that it's safe after that section. Apparently the double yellow was getting waved back on the track a bit.

I'd imagine they'll revisit how they handle it from now on. It always takes a death, or severe injury, for changes to be made unfortunately.

They probably should consider using SC more easily under poor wet conditions but if they start using SC for every candy paper spotted on the track like in NASCAR I'll just stop watching.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
They probably should consider using SC more easily under poor wet conditions but if they start using SC for every candy paper spotted on the track like in NASCAR I'll just stop watching.
what they need to do, is to drastically improve the full wet tyres when it comes to grip and to reduce aquaplaning. Right now they don't use full wets at all. When they use it, it's behind the SC. Fuck, I remember the 90's races in Spa and stuff. Guys were racing in appalling conditions in full wets with cars that had much more power. Granted more downforce as well. This FIA stupidity when it comes to being all green, saving fuel, saving tyres is fucking idiotic. It's killing F1. They need to bring back the old F1.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
There is an issue with extreme rain which means they can't race. If the medical helicopter can't fly then they're not allowed to race. I think this was introduced after the death of Senna when they did a big safety over-haul.

That said though, there was a crazy wet race in Spa which I figure is the one you're referring to which was in 1996 or 7.

Perhaps the helicopter requirement varies track by track. With Bianchi they transported him by Ambulance as the hospital was only close and the ambulance had more room which allowed them to work better on him during transport.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
There's a thing they do at the LeMans 24hr where they speed limit a section, which is a better version than marshalls waving flags.

The drivers have lights on their dash/wheel to advise them and they activate a speed limiter it's called code-60.

From Wikipedia:
A new safety system was implemented, which allows for the intervention of safety vehicles on a particular section of the circuit without the need for neutralizing the entire race with safety cars. The system, termed a slow zone, requires cars to slow and maintain a speed of 60 km/h (37 mph) within a specific zone.[10] Speeds within the zones are monitored by GPS systems now required on every car. In conjunction with the slow zone procedure an onboard marshalling system will warn drivers of the location of slow zones. New regulations require rookies, as well as drivers who have not competed at Le Mans in the past five years, to participate in a half-day simulator training course. The course includes examples of night and wet racing at Le Mans, as well as the new safety car and slow zone procedures.
Works really well. I think its what F1 needs.

The biggest issue F1 has with extreme wet weather is visibility and aquaplaning. When it's wet enough for the real wet tires they can't see anything basically. The wet tires throw up 65 liters of water per second at full speed making everything just a grey wall and then you drive into a puddle and aquaplane off into a wall at 200+ km/h

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, things are not looking good for Cateram in Austin. Guess we are in for a single Marussia and no Caterams at the back.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also just read about Button maybe going to race Porsches with Mark Webber. I guess that would make room for Alonzo? Who knows these days.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought Rossi would be in the second Marussia?
I really hope so, but i've been hoping that for a couple years now it seems.Basically heard that they are just fielding the one car again in Austin, but then Bianchi's car back for Brazil and doubleDhabi.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But at least the F1 Fan Forum is back for COTA. Also going to be streamed live so thats a plus.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So today I watched NBC coverage of Austin for the first time in a while as I've been feasting on BBC and Sky.

So, Steve Matchet is still as awesome as ever but... Holy shit in a bear's ass what the FUCK is with the commercials? Going to break in the middle of a qualifying session? It's only 15 fucking minutes! Seriously?

And is there a way to make Leigh Diffey shut up or stop talking about what celebrities have shown up? Sorry we missed Hamilton setting two purple sectors but we had to go to our 47th commercial break and then have some obligatory ugly woman do something far more important like talk to a reluctant Matt LeBlanc coming out of the shitter.

FUCK me. I mean, fuck. Was it that bad on Speed? I remember it being far less gay.