Fall 2013 Anime Thread

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Kill la Kill suffers in the character development department, but it does the battle episodes very well. I just give two shits about most of them.
KLK is ok but its not amazing to me - and idgaf about fan service in anime. However i also dont think very highly of TTGL so my taste just dont align with either show. I actually prefer KLK more than TTGL but not by a whole lot.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
However i also dont think very highly of TTGL
boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Haha - sorry! I think its just b/c its crazy over the top, i rarely get into stuff like that.

Also - i usually love Monogatari but since like midways ive ended up just wondering why im watching it still. It's kinda sad ever since snake chick arc i could give a shit whats going on lol.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Haha - sorry! I think its just b/c its crazy over the top, i rarely get into stuff like that.
TTGL was good because it managed to take the over-the-top more power formula that plagues a lot anime and turn it into an intriguing plot point, all while poking fun at itself for doing so. I might even go as far as saying it's the anime for people who typically don't like over-the-top more power anime. I find that people who get this love it, and people who don't...don't. Most anime that use these themes get lost in all the action and craziness and end up just being repetitive. Take Claymore (or DBZ if you want) for example.

Kill la Kill is leaning towards the more power anime that gets lost in itself and becomes repetitive side, mostly because the story is just now starting to develop, at episode 12. I'm really enjoying it so far, but they'll need to work some magic in the next couple episodes with more story and character development to keep it from slipping. If it's only one season long, that is.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Eh... TTGL didn't get truly epic until about 10 or so episodes in anyway so I have high hopes for Kill La Kill.
True but it had it had a lot of intense moments and epic action preceding episode 10 such as the first time the two machines combined and Kamina's death in episode eight. We are on 12 of KLK so the first half of the anime is no where near the level of epic, nor does it have the intense emotional scenes. In fact I don't think there is any character that could die right now that would make me shed a man tear. This really should not get compared with TTGL because that will only disappoint what is otherwise a decent anime by itself.

Lina_sl

shitlord
This week's ep of Golden Time was awesome. Koko ftw. Also good job on Banri on trying to tell his old self to fuck off.
I watched many episodes of this series during my whole free time recently, which has been not been quite much, considering work is taking 12hrs/day sometimes and and the x-mas crap going on. It was really enjoyable. Thanks for the recommendation.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
This is the other show I'm watching currently. It's my favorite sports anime, but getting a little repetitive, especially after 100+ episodes. A new challenger comes, apparently with some crazy move or tactic that no one has encountered before, and the show plays him up to be some badass that Ippo (or Takamura) has overcome, even though Ippo is higher ranked. Just waiting for him to give up the Japan title and challenge for the world belt already. I doubt that will happen for a while though.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

Also - i usually love Monogatari but since like midways ive ended up just wondering why im watching it still. It's kinda sad ever since snake chick arc i could give a shit whats going on lol.
You're not alone, I didn't like TTGL either, but only because of the shitty, shitty ending. No one can ruin a good anime with a shitty ending like Gainax.

The Nadeko (medusa) arc in Monogatari was terrrrible, but it's picked up a little since then.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah so they killed of a main character and the other became a vagrant drifter. What's wrong with that? Do we need a disney ending?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Where is my fuckin Ippo??! Why does Guin Saga not have a 2nd season when its better than 90% of what comes out?!

Silly people, dont need living author to continue animation!

Also as far as TTGL goes i just didnt like it - could careless about the ending since i wasnt enjoying it really up to that point.

Real talk - are there any deep fantasy stories ive missed with immersive worlds like Berserk, Guim, or Lodoss wars? When i compare the old fab to the new shit its just not comparable, or is it just that no one does deep fantasy like that anymore?

Sean_sl

shitlord
The TTGL movie-ending is actually a bit better than the TV series ending. It goes into a little more depth of what Simon does at the end.

It's still fucking stupid though and that death wascompletely fucking unnecessary.

RE: Monogatari: The Nadeko Medusa arc is kinda meh, but the Shinobu Time arc after it is good. The ending to it is sad, but good. We're now in the Hitagi End arc, which pretty much stars Kaiki the whole time and is entirely in his point of view and it's interesting. It gives a shitload more depth to his character.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
When i compare the old fab to the new shit its just not comparable, or is it just that no one does deep fantasy like that anymore?
No one does deep fantasy like that anymore. Nothing like Berserk anyway. Check out Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit.

The TTGL movie-ending is actually a bit better than the TV series ending. It goes into a little more depth of what Simon does at the end.

It's still fucking stupid though and that death wascompletely fucking unnecessary.
Is any death ever necessary unless you're the bad guy? He died because he died and you see how the characters deal with his unnecessary death. Rarely has the death of a main character made perfect sense and not pissed people off. That's normal. I personally hate it when all main characters get immunity and go out only when they're sacrificing themselves or something lame like that.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Was talking about the girl, not Kamina. Kamina's death was a good and epic death. Her death on the other hand was stupid as fuck and purposely done to annoy the shit out of people.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
I loved her death
frown.png
I still rewatch those 2 movies once every 2-3 months. Love it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
No one does deep fantasy like that anymore. Nothing like Berserk anyway. Check out Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit.
Seen it - think ive rewatched it a few times also - such a shame no one puts as much effort into stories these days.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
are they going full-dbz-retard in HxH now? the whole ants arc so far was rather bland (and a poor dbz ripoff anyway ... ant king = cell?), and the last few episodes were barely watchable. 5minutes till the fighting starts ... then 3 minutes. now 1 minute ... repetition ad nauseam ... wth is going on?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
are they going full-dbz-retard in HxH now? the whole ants arc so far was rather bland (and a poor dbz ripoff anyway ... ant king = cell?), and the last few episodes were barely watchable. 5minutes till the fighting starts ... then 3 minutes. now 1 minute ... repetition ad nauseam ... wth is going on?
Eh - i personally find HxH amazing and to call it a DBZ rip off is pretty short sighted - Have you considered the amount of thought that went into the mechanics surrounding the powers alone? The abilities used in HxH are far more thought out that any other anime to date. I agree the king looks alot like Cell and the show itself has a bit of a dbz feel much like every dam anime w/ powering up etc but its far more fleshed out.

The only thing that sucks is that after this arc there is nothing else left even in the manga really.