Fall 2023 Anime Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well for all the crying about the end of aot from the manga readers from years back, I feel satisfied with this.
I'm kind of impressed at how thoroughly wrong my set of predictions were.

I mean it seemed obvious that they would win, but NONE of them died? Is this even Attack on Titan? I'm glad they didn't go with the full on 'heres how everyone lived happily ever after' epilogue I was predicting but considering how brutal and unforgiving this show has been, I'm really shocked that the suicide mission had a 100% success rate. I guess they must have done all the shifter loyalty missions and fully upgraded the plane.

Hard to believe the first episode came out just a bit over 10 years ago.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If youve kept up with One Piece all these years and saw the Kaido fight you now see why to this day OP is the best manga/anime. The last fights were on the level of ufotable in alot of fights with Zoro fight being absurdly satisfying.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If youve kept up with One Piece all these years and saw the Kaido fight you now see why to this day OP is the best manga/anime. The last fights were on the level of ufotable in alot of fights with Zoro fight being absurdly satisfying.

I'm a big fan of One Piece and have been for years, but there is no good way to defend how fucking slow that shit is. Shit needs a Dragon Ball Kai treatment, yes the fights for Wano are fun as shit to watch and the fact that the absurd nature of the show managed to pull off the looney toons shit flawlessly was nice. Still Wano was mid as fuck.

Show peaked with Marineford, lets hope Elbaf can top it.

y190p490jlg51.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm a big fan of One Piece and have been for years, but there is no good way to defend how fucking slow that shit is. Shit needs a Dragon Ball Kai treatment, yes the fights for Wano are fun as shit to watch and the fact that the absurd nature of the show managed to pull off the looney toons shit flawlessly was nice. Still Wano was mid as fuck.

Show peaked with Marineford, lets hope Elbaf can top it.

y190p490jlg51.jpg

Wano was the biggest lore dump possible and soooooooooo much was explained in it as well. I dont mind it being a bit slow because it had a ton of back story and holes filled. Plus there was no way on earth that Luffy was going to just waltz up and beat Kaido without digging DEEP for that super saiyan treatment.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm also watching A Returner's Magic Should Be Special. It's the same exact story as the manga, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm kind of impressed at how thoroughly wrong my set of predictions were.

I mean it seemed obvious that they would win, but NONE of them died? Is this even Attack on Titan? I'm glad they didn't go with the full on 'heres how everyone lived happily ever after' epilogue I was predicting but considering how brutal and unforgiving this show has been, I'm really shocked that the suicide mission had a 100% success rate. I guess they must have done all the shifter loyalty missions and fully upgraded the plane.

Hard to believe the first episode came out just a bit over 10 years ago.
It was satisfying enough, but the show really fell off bigly after Erwin died. The whole, "I did it cause dumb" excuse for The Rumbling ruined a lot of it for me.

Satisfying"ish" conclusion, I guess. Made me miss one of my homies really bad. The show really didn't need to take 10 fucking years to conclude though.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zoro fight was best fight in wano hands down.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There's some kind of cheating going on with Freiren. The EPs feel like they're 5 minutes long.
Not the best anime ever by any stretch but that's one of the most entertaining one in the last few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Ufotable? Are you serious? The animation in one piece is about 8 tiers lower than Demon Slayer. And that shit with gear 5 was TERRIBLE animation.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There's some kind of cheating going on with Freiren. The EPs feel like they're 5 minutes long.
Not the best anime ever by any stretch but that's one of the most entertaining one in the last few years.
There's very few that are on par with Frieren ever. It's one of those rare masterpieces that just comes out of nowhere and amazes on every level. Characters? Check. OP/ED? Check. Story? Check. Art? Check. Hopefully this gets a full 24 ep season. The manga right now would support up to 2 seasons. Not sure if there is a LN or anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was satisfying enough, but the show really fell off bigly after Erwin died. The whole, "I did it cause dumb" excuse for The Rumbling ruined a lot of it for me.

Satisfying"ish" conclusion, I guess. Made me miss one of my homies really bad. The show really didn't need to take 10 fucking years to conclude though.
Oh fuck there's mid/post credit scenes that I missed.

1699418045955.png

From the point of view of Eren's grave we see Paradis get more advanced, skyscrapers etc. Then there's a whole bunch of more modern warfare with helicopters, planes, missile platforms, then it shows a nuke flying into the ruins of Paradis.

1699418141664.png

Then another timeskip and we see someone exploring the island and they come up to the tree where Eren's grave was and it looks just like the tree Ymir fell into.

It's fucking stupid and nihilistic but I'm kinda torn between thinking it's stupid and thinking it's actually a very AoT ending.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Oh fuck there's mid/post credit scenes that I missed.

View attachment 499439

From the point of view of Eren's grave we see Paradis get more advanced, skyscrapers etc. Then there's a whole bunch of more modern warfare with helicopters, planes, missile platforms, then it shows a nuke flying into the ruins of Paradis.

View attachment 499440

Then another timeskip and we see someone exploring the island and they come up to the tree where Eren's grave was and it looks just like the tree Ymir fell into.

It's fucking stupid and nihilistic but I'm kinda torn between thinking it's stupid and thinking it's actually a very AoT ending.
It is very AoT. I mean, the entire "theme" of the show has been highlighting the very cyclical nature of humanity and how most motivations come down to good 'ole, "human nature"(in that context I guess Eren's motivation makes some sense, but I still didn't like it). Which I always appreciated about it and I did actually enjoy the end credits, showing that the cycle is doomed to repeat. My biggest problems were just with Eren's motivations, really. The whole, "I was destined to do this because I'm dumb" shit just didn't land well for me:

"Well, Marley has 1000x the manpower/tech of Paradis and is going to genocide us. So, it's either that or The Rumbling and fucking up EVERYBODY instead. The Rumbling is our best shot, because I'm going to have Eldians kill me! That way it'll seem like they are the heroes, because they were willing to kill their own to save not just themselves, but all of humanity! And all that is erased once he has the time travelling convo with Armin, where Armin basically tells him, "That isn't going to work retard" and Eren goes, "Lol yeah, sorry I'm dumb". Then Armin is all, "LOL oh well, it's my fault too that you're a genocidal fuckwad because I showed you a book. LULZ LETS HELL TOGETHER BRO!".

The other part that really pissed me off is when they passed up a real opportunity for a heartfelt/impactful moment, when Jean and Conny accepted their fate with a sad goodbye, but "lol j/k!".

Like I said, it was still a good show, but goddamn did it fall off after Erwin's death. Up to that point, it was quickly rising to the top 3 or so of my all-time anime list. But as soon as Season 4 started, I immediately felt like something was "off" with the show and it just never really found its landing/footing throughout that entire 50 year long Season 4. But holy fuck were those first 3 seasons fucking excellent.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
it's grounded in realism. Eren isn't one of these super isekai overly smart always omniscient protagonist. He's a normal kid in an era with not a lot of education/progress, with violent impulses like every kid left semi unsupervised, and he inherits a power that literally makes time irrelevant. Your mind is flooded by past present future of hundred of people who wielded that power before you, and you end up having to fucking try to make sense of all this to save everyone?

Nah fuck that, he did what he had to do to ensure HIS friends would live in a time of peace, but he never was able to get to the point where he could fix everything on a long timeline because that would probably mean finishing the job with the rumbling until no one is left, cause humans be humans.

Truth is it was a problem impossible to resolve, and the more he tried to resolve the more attached he got to his mortal life and the more enraged he got to humanity as a whole and wanted to get them all dead. Truth is, he had the power to remove titan powers from all eldians and could have done it and just wiped everyone but them out. but then what? Even his own friends couldn't have lived with what he did for their sake. So this was the plan. They are the heroes, live their life in relative peace, and hundred of years down the road the cycle will repeat itself because short of exterminating everyone, there's no other way.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ufotable? Are you serious? The animation in one piece is about 8 tiers lower than Demon Slayer. And that shit with gear 5 was TERRIBLE animation.

His fruit power is the ability to bend anything - thus its supposed to look wonky - he is joy boy and his very image shown back 500+ episodes ago looked like a cartoon character. It was animated exactly how his power works - that has nothing to do with "tiers". Most of the fights at the end of Wano made it feel like you were in a theater, i had to put this on the largest oled to enjoy the experience of each episode, and yeah Zoro fight was tits.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The "problem" I have with the 'all this has happened before and it will happen again' ending is that it's a complete swerve from the direction the mangaka took the story during the final act. The scouts and the warriors getting past their mortal enmity to realize how much alike they are and working together to try and save the world, people like Magath expressing remorse for the atrocities they've committed, hell even that scene with the cliff and people desperately crowd-surfing the baby forward despite the utter futility of it. Nope sorry turns out human nature can't actually change despite all the time dedicated to suggesting that it can.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The "problem" I have with the 'all this has happened before and it will happen again' ending is that it's a complete swerve from the direction the mangaka took the story during the final act. The scouts and the warriors getting past their mortal enmity to realize how much alike they are and working together to try and save the world, people like Magath expressing remorse for the atrocities they've committed, hell even that scene with the cliff and people desperately crowd-surfing the baby forward despite the utter futility of it. Nope sorry turns out human nature can't actually change despite all the time dedicated to suggesting that it can.
But it's cyclical. Those things you describe can and DO exist. People do change...for a time. But then "human nature" takes over and the cycle of hate/war/etc. begins anew.
it's grounded in realism. Eren isn't one of these super isekai overly smart always omniscient protagonist. He's a normal kid in an era with not a lot of education/progress, with violent impulses like every kid left semi unsupervised, and he inherits a power that literally makes time irrelevant. Your mind is flooded by past present future of hundred of people who wielded that power before you, and you end up having to fucking try to make sense of all this to save everyone?

Nah fuck that, he did what he had to do to ensure HIS friends would live in a time of peace, but he never was able to get to the point where he could fix everything on a long timeline because that would probably mean finishing the job with the rumbling until no one is left, cause humans be humans.

Truth is it was a problem impossible to resolve, and the more he tried to resolve the more attached he got to his mortal life and the more enraged he got to humanity as a whole and wanted to get them all dead. Truth is, he had the power to remove titan powers from all eldians and could have done it and just wiped everyone but them out. but then what? Even his own friends couldn't have lived with what he did for their sake. So this was the plan. They are the heroes, live their life in relative peace, and hundred of years down the road the cycle will repeat itself because short of exterminating everyone, there's no other way.
No, I get all that and it does make "sense" in a lot of ways. I just hate the way it was handled in the show itself. The whole, "lol I'm dumb. Oh well, let's hell together!!!" thing just landed like a wet fart. Same as most of Season 4. There's actually a TON to pull/distill out of the final season, but it all just lands super flat in the show itself. Compare that to the gravity/weight of Erwin's death and having to decide between him or Armin. The impact of that is translated 1000x better on screen.

That's my whole issue. The concepts are there, but they just have no weight/feeling to them. It's present throughout S4, which is actually a very "heavy" season. Only Sasha's death had any real weight attached. That's why I mentioned the Jean/Conny scene as well. Another powerful, emotional moment that all just lands fucking retarded because they reverse it literally 2 minutes later.

You can't help but feel bad for Eren at the end, given what was thrust upon him as a young kid. It's just that they did a poor job giving that nightmare any real "feeling", I guess. At least in my eyes

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
His fruit power is the ability to bend anything - thus its supposed to look wonky - he is joy boy and his very image shown back 500+ episodes ago looked like a cartoon character. It was animated exactly how his power works - that has nothing to do with "tiers". Most of the fights at the end of Wano made it feel like you were in a theater, i had to put this on the largest oled to enjoy the experience of each episode, and yeah Zoro fight was tits.

Yea, you have a huge hard on for a very mediocre at best anime. We get it. One Piece has not been good since Dressrosa. And the animation sucks. It's hysterical comparing it to ufotable animation. Lol.

I mean ffs. How many episodes was it from when Luffy and Kaido started "the fight" to when it ended? It had to have been at least 100 fucking episodes. My god.