Fallout 4

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That mission is on the rough side. Really the game kind of assumes you will explore around a bit before tackling those quests, but then railroads you right into them early.

Vats is your friend. Vats, hide, heal, pop out and vats again. Also, get a combat shotgun from a vender as soon as you can and mod it to match whatever your main weapon skill is (ideally rifle).

@Tenks-
If you are into generating crits, a stealthed combat knife is a very competitive alternative (and actually works with the ninja perk) provided you have charge. Single hit kills are the Super Sledge forte, but its very easy to get stun locked against certain enemies when not in VATS. Also, once you get the "chance to do shitty thing on hit" passive perks stacked up, the knife (or fist weapons, really) come into their own.
Yeah, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but I only found one or two side quests to do before having to tackle Carvega. Dealing with machine gun turrets using a 10mm handgun and/or a double barrel shotgun just made me feel like I was way overextending myself. Hell, just making it through Lexington to reach Carvega made it feel like I was advancing way too fast for my level.

So you can mod a shotgun to be categorized as a rifle? So far I'm doing a perception/agility/intelligence build-- hoping to be sniper-ish..

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Unless you mod them to be automatic.

@Sulrn-
All unarmed, but disappointingly they cannot generally be equipped while in powered armor (no power fist while in PA? Wtf?) so you are stuck with base damage, which is very level based. On the plus side, using a very fast fist weapon and putting on a named greaser jacket (or other gear with flat punching damage bonus) stacks for some ridiculous Goku level shit. You can mod up basic knuckles, stack perks, wear the jacket, and end up with an unarmed attack that deals over 100 base damage and can be executed 9-10 times on one full bar of Vats. I messed around with it with my original character one I ran out of places to spend perk points, and its pretty hilariously OP.

Sulrn

Deuces
Unless you mod them to be automatic.

@Sulrn-
All unarmed, but disappointingly they cannot generally be equipped while in powered armor (no power fist while in PA? Wtf?) so you are stuck with base damage, which is very level based. On the plus side, using a very fast fist weapon and putting on a named greaser jacket (or other gear with flat punching damage bonus) stacks for some ridiculous Goku level shit. You can mod up basic knuckles, stack perks, wear the jacket, and end up with an unarmed attack that deals over 100 base damage and can be executed 9-10 times on one full bar of Vats. I messed around with it with my original character one I ran out of places to spend perk points, and its pretty hilariously OP.
If a FO4 Dance of Death mod gets added that sounds like a new play through waiting to happen. Kung-Fu/MMA Bruiser in your face.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah Corvega is probably the hardest mission I've found simply because you don't have the guns/armor/aid to effectively tackle it. But word to the wise don't go in the front door. There is a drainage pipe in the city you can use to enter. You still have to fight through a few rooms but you don't have to take on 50 raiders in towers.

Vitality

HUSTLE
For Corvega (on survival difficulty Melee Only) I just crafted 8 or so molotov cocktails and dealt with each of the entry strategies and wall turrets with 2 max.

Direct hits with grenades do sneak attack damage btw.

Lone wanderer perk + End 1 perk + loads of purified water from your outpost makes most of this game pretty easy.

Caliane

Yeah Corvega is probably the hardest mission I've found simply because you don't have the guns/armor/aid to effectively tackle it. But word to the wise don't go in the front door. There is a drainage pipe in the city you can use to enter. You still have to fight through a few rooms but you don't have to take on 50 raiders in towers.
weird. Corvega is one of the first things I did. like level 5-10.

First, I found a power armor just east of it. was exploring, found it. then Corvega was next door so took it with me. I used the power armor to "storm the gates". killed the turret, and raiders outside on the roof with rifle, while int he power armor. Then, got of it to go inside. I climbed the stairs, and went in the secondfloor entrance. this puts you up and above two populated rooms. basically just sat there in the middle picking off/aggroing, and killing as they came to me. the turret on the left was a bit tough. getting los. actually took that out by jumping down directly in front of it. and punching it, out of its line of sight. boss area fairly easy too. might have activated a protectron, which turned on me after a bit. think I blew up some cars too.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Btw, I meant to mention this but got distracted by copy and pasting the sweetfx file... I don't recommend using setfog 1 0, only cl off. It turns off all fog, both indoors and outdoors. I can sort of understand why someone might want the indoor effect gone, and there's a mod for that:Remove Interior Fog. Using a global command that also turns off the outdoor fog is an awful idea.

Fog on:
FogOn.png
Fog off:
FogOff.png

Load the two images into separate tabs if you want to more easily see the difference by flipping between them. I wasn't sold on it at first but now I think I like fog-off better. It's good that it doesn't remove the mist that comes from water (that's a fountain downstairs), just the fake volumetric fog that is placed all over.
Yeah, I wasn't using that fog off option either. But let me make sure I'm understanding you, because it seems like you changed your mind halfway through. Are you using the mod that removes interior fog only right now? Or did you decide that using the command to turn it all off was better? I'm thinking you mean the mod, but just making sure.

Cybsled

This was kinda cool. I've been to Boston quite a bit but it's usually straight from my conference/meeting to the hotel and the airport. After driving there the first couple visits I learned to take cabs for every subsequent visit, so I've only seen a few of these landmarks:

Boston's IRL freeway network is like a game of cities:skylines played by a chimpanzee, but all those overpasses ingame seems to suggest that Boston in the Fallout Universe never got their Big Dig tunnel system.
Ya, this FO universe never had the Big Dig it seems. Boston was a huge fucking pain to get around in pre-Big Dig. I mean, it is still a pain in the ass, but it is less than it used to be.

There are also other subtle differences. The Red Sox never beat "the curse" in this universe, as there is no banner for 2004 or beyond. However, the park seems to have some changes that came after John Henry bought the team. For instance, the Green Monster seats were a new addition and the Green Monster in FO4 seems to have monster seats.

The science museum in this universe has a dome, but I can't tell if it is supposed to be a planetarium or the Omni Theater (basically a dome shaped IMAX with wicked steep seats...you get a sense of motion without even moving depending on the film being shown). You can only go in the gift shop in the game ;p

Of course, the game is accurate in other ways. For instance, South Boston has drug labs and people trying to scam you on the streets...just like in the game!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I wasn't using that fog off option either. But let me make sure I'm understanding you, because it seems like you changed your mind halfway through. Are you using the mod that removes interior fog only right now? Or did you decide that using the command to turn it all off was better? I'm thinking you mean the mod, but just making sure.
Yeah, I like the mod after playing with it for a while. Definitely don't turn off outdoor fog.

Sulrn

Deuces
I don't know. The entire time I was testing my Steam Link my ~hour of gameplay (Post Vault - Lexington) was like London Bay // badly storyboarded dream sequence foggy as a fuck. Which is weird because on my real run through and I don't remember much fog outside of actual weather transitions. I did adjust the graphic settings a bit to see how it would play out on the big screen though (maybe I changed fog accidentally?)...

I could see justifying turning outdoor fog off to avoid that mess again.

Caliane

theres quite a bit of fog in vanilla. makes the sniper rifles a pita often. particularly night vision. cant see shit.

Vorph

I don't know. The entire time I was testing my Steam Link my ~hour of gameplay (Post Vault - Lexington) was like London Bay // badly storyboarded dream sequence foggy as a fuck. Which is weird because on my real run through and I don't remember much fog outside of actual weather transitions. I did adjust the graphic settings a bit to see how it would play out on the big screen though (maybe I changed fog accidentally?)...

I could see justifying turning outdoor fog off to avoid that mess again.
What you're talking about is one of the random weather systems. The setfog command shouldn't have any effect on that. It controls the fog that appears at the edge of your view distance, and it's there to help obscure the nasty "pea soup" effect that Gamebryo has when you are looking at a grid that's using super-low level of detail. Even with Faraway Area Reform mod it's still pretty ugly to look at.

If we could turn up uGridstoLoad without it causing instability and potentially messing up quest triggers I could see turning off the fog, but that's not something you want to mess with. If you turned it up to 7+ in Skyrim you needed to use a savegame cleaner if you started having problems and needed to dial it back down to 5. No such tool exists for FO4 yet so you're just fucked if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, if you want to see what setfog looks like outdoors, just type setfog 1 0 into the console and then setfog 0 0 to turn it back on. The effect doesn't happen until you close the console but it's still pretty easy to toggle it on and off quickly enough to see what it does.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I've encountered some of those random fog banks, which particularly suck when you are headed into the sun, but they go away if you are in the area long enough.

Also, thanks again for the help Vorph. Game looks much better now, whereas I would have been too cautious to mess with all the dozens of mods myself. I still haven't used any of the cosmetic (i.e. armor and outfits, etc.) mods though, and I notice you have a custom vault suit one that looks great. Do you mind listing the mods you use? You can screenshot the NMM or type them or whatever is easiest for you (in case you don't want us to see the nude Dogmeat mod or something
tongue.png
).

Steam says I have played 71 hours, although a good 10 of those are probably the game being paused, and another 8 or so fucking around with base building, but I feel I'm not even 1/4 of the way done. I'm like level 22 or so, and haven't even been to Diamond City yet. There is just so much to do in this game.

Oh, and one question for anyone. I'm sure I could test it out a couple of ways but I'm not going to be in game for a bit. Are all workshops that are connected via supply lines shared, or only the one it shares with? Simply put, if I have the Drive-In linked to Sanctuary, and the Red Rocket linked to Sanctuary (but not to each other), can the Drive-In use stuff stored at the Red Rocket? I understand weapons and the like won't be shared no matter what, but just talking junk/building materials.

Cybsled

Pretty sure that so long they are connected somehow, then they all share materials. So if you wanted, you could have a central hub and everything connected to the hub has access to the materials.

Vorph

Mods:
Ballistic Weave (my own version of the mods that add clothes/hats to the weave list, without any cheater shit)
Better Handmade Weapon Textures
Better Recon Scope
Black and White Pipboy
Black Combat Armor
Black Synth Armor
Black Synth Field Helmet and Armor
Black Synth Uniform Recolor
BOS Uniform (Recolors for Male and Female)
Brighter Settlement Lights (long and soft)
BUSTY
Ceano's SweetFX - RL
Classic V.A.T.S. (25%)
Combat Armor Recolors
Darker Default Power Armor Frame
Darker Nights
Devastator Armor Black Re-color
DIfferent Colours for Power Armour hud
Different ranked Store perk requirements
Enhanced Blood Textures
ETSGB - Easy To See Glowing Bobbleheads
ETSGM - Easy To See Glowing Mags
Eye Normal Map Fix Fallout 4 Edition
FAR - Faraway Area Reform (LOD)
Female Clothing (Retextures)
FPS dynamic shadows - Shadow Boost
Gil Elvgren - Pinup Better Pictures
Glow Sight Fix (Deliverer)
Hazmat Suit Variants
Hunting Rifle rust begone (and a black stock that I made myself)
Improved Map with Visible Roads
Less Obnoxious and Quieter Grim Reaper's Sprint and Four Leaf Clover Perk sound effects in VATS.
Multicam Black Army Fatigues
no dotdotdot
Optimized Vanilla Textures
Purple transparent black-rim glasses
Realistic Lights
Remove Interior Fog
Simple Bug Fixes
The Eyes Of Beauty Fallout Edition
Value per Weight indicator for container UI
Vaultsuit Retexture (alt. Black and white)
Vivid Fallout - Landscapes - Textures in HD - ORIGINAL SIZE - LOWER RESOLUTION
Vivid Fallout - Rocks - Textures in HD - ORIGINAL SIZE - LOWER RESOLUTION
White Military Cap (which I then went and made into the black version that I use myself)

Re: Supply lines -- they are all shared. Do NOT make the mistake that I did and make a star/hub with them all being sent from the other settlements to Sanctuary, because the provisioners count against the 10+CH cap in the place you send them *to*. What you want is either a loop or a tree, just connecting each new settlement with a provisioner sent *from* a close neighbor that is already on the supply line. (The distance doesn't actually matter, it's just more convenient and less ugly to look at on the map.)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This was kinda cool. I've been to Boston quite a bit but it's usually straight from my conference/meeting to the hotel and the airport. After driving there the first couple visits I learned to take cabs for every subsequent visit, so I've only seen a few of these landmarks:

Boston's IRL freeway network is like a game of cities:skylines played by a chimpanzee, but all those overpasses ingame seems to suggest that Boston in the Fallout Universe never got their Big Dig tunnel system.
Very cool

Oh forgot to post this after my 3rd Goodsprings visit.

rrr_img_117997.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Mods:
Ballistic Weave (my own version of the mods that add clothes/hats to the weave list, without any cheater shit)
Better Handmade Weapon Textures
Better Recon Scope
Black and White Pipboy
Black Combat Armor
Black Synth Armor
Black Synth Field Helmet and Armor
Black Synth Uniform Recolor
BOS Uniform (Recolors for Male and Female)
Brighter Settlement Lights (long and soft)
BUSTY
Ceano's SweetFX - RL
Classic V.A.T.S. (25%)
Combat Armor Recolors
Darker Default Power Armor Frame
Darker Nights
Devastator Armor Black Re-color
DIfferent Colours for Power Armour hud
Different ranked Store perk requirements
Enhanced Blood Textures
ETSGB - Easy To See Glowing Bobbleheads
ETSGM - Easy To See Glowing Mags
Eye Normal Map Fix Fallout 4 Edition
FAR - Faraway Area Reform (LOD)
Female Clothing (Retextures)
FPS dynamic shadows - Shadow Boost
Gil Elvgren - Pinup Better Pictures
Glow Sight Fix (Deliverer)
Hazmat Suit Variants
Hunting Rifle rust begone (and a black stock that I made myself)
Improved Map with Visible Roads
Less Obnoxious and Quieter Grim Reaper's Sprint and Four Leaf Clover Perk sound effects in VATS.
Multicam Black Army Fatigues
no dotdotdot
Optimized Vanilla Textures
Purple transparent black-rim glasses
Realistic Lights
Remove Interior Fog
Simple Bug Fixes
The Eyes Of Beauty Fallout Edition
Value per Weight indicator for container UI
Vaultsuit Retexture (alt. Black and white)
Vivid Fallout - Landscapes - Textures in HD - ORIGINAL SIZE - LOWER RESOLUTION
Vivid Fallout - Rocks - Textures in HD - ORIGINAL SIZE - LOWER RESOLUTION
White Military Cap (which I then went and made into the black version that I use myself)

Re: Supply lines -- they are all shared. Do NOT make the mistake that I did and make a star/hub with them all being sent from the other settlements to Sanctuary, because the provisioners count against the 10+CH cap in the place you send them *to*. What you want is either a loop or a tree, just connecting each new settlement with a provisioner sent *from* a close neighbor that is already on the supply line. (The distance doesn't actually matter, it's just more convenient and less ugly to look at on the map.)
Jesus that's a lot of mods! Thanks for the list, really appreciate it.

And oops, I've done exactly that, with sending everyone to Sanctuary. I guess I should fix that somehow.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Surival difficulty wombat? I swapped harder difficulty later. But for my part, I had some minor wondering before corvega. So I had a basic piece of shit pipe rifle I'd modded to have I think a short scope or just regular sights and long barrel. Was down on street popping off guys on the catwalks. I didnt go in front door, instead besides pipes, theres also a back door.

Most places where you can find the turrets ahead of time I'd open up with a sneak shot. Though really I found pretty early at hip fire distances a piercing 10mm rocked turrets too.

Now that I'm 21, finally made the run for int head, and heading towards quest chain for the cha, since I hate being bottlenecked on both science, and some settlement stuff. Melee go around I think like others I'm largely ditching settlment stuff but I'm invested now.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also anyway to easily relocate all my power suits other than one by one entering and quick traveling back and forth? That's one of biggest faggy things about needing local leader just to make power armor racks.