Fallout 76

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Unless they've done something to fix the inventory limitations I don't think it's worth playing. I stopped playing the day they patched out the bug which gave you effectively infinite carrying capacity (equipping and unequipping +str equipment repeatedly) since inventory management was an immense pain in the arse.
Haven't logged in since that day which was probably less than 2 months after launch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
honestly i wish game developers would figure out that inventory management is BY FAR the least fun thing in any game. i honestly can't think of a single game where the inventory minigame made the game more fun. the first mod i look for is almost ALWAYS infinite inventory/weightless junk type mods. followed by boobs.

i think items having weight/space restrictions is perfectly fine if you're playing on a survivor type difficulty but otherwise keep that out of my games.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Weight stuff is still a pain like it has been in most recent fallouts, although at least in other fallouts you usually had an unlimited storage place to ditch some shit, but since launch they added a few things:

1) There is a Wilderness Scouts camp where you follow a quest line and get a backpack. The backpack gives you a significant boost to your carry weight and there are upgrades available to it

2) Stash box size is 800 lbs

3) Most of the power armors can be upgraded with legs that boost your carry weight, although the X-01 is a pain since the modules are vendor only in the Enclave bunker and they arent always in stock. The Excavator Armor gives you like 200 bonus carry weight for equipping a full set, but defensively it isn't that great. Storing the frame is 10 lbs, so I carry it around for emergencies in case I need extra carry weight to fast travel.

4) There are some perk cards that significant reduce various weights, although the shit thing is you lose perk slots to weight reduction perks vs. using something to boost your damage or utility.

The Fallout 1st membership gives you an unlimited stash box, but that is the $$ membership thing and fuck them for charging for that, so fuck that. I subbed for one month just to get the FO:NV ranger outfit and the atoms for the shop, then cut the subscription.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The Fallout 1st membership gives you an unlimited stash box, but that is the $$ membership thing and fuck them for charging for that, so fuck that.

Yeah this right here is ridiculous. Shows it isn't a Db limitation or poor design, it's designed this way to drive revenue and frustrate you until you spend money. The same method they used in TESO for the crafting bag.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

yup. it's frustrating because there are certain gaming mechanics that were introduced from the idea of realism or whatever. that in and of itself isn't a bad thing, obviously. but at the end of the day any mechanic in a GAME should be focused on whether or not it's FUN. obviously that's a subjective idea... different people find different things fun.

but when you design something to be restrictive (even if there are realistic reasons, like inventory weight), adding a "premium" restriction free version is just blatently anti-consumer

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
yup. it's frustrating because there are certain gaming mechanics that were introduced from the idea of realism or whatever. that in and of itself isn't a bad thing, obviously. but at the end of the day any mechanic in a GAME should be focused on whether or not it's FUN. obviously that's a subjective idea... different people find different things fun.

but when you design something to be restrictive (even if there are realistic reasons, like inventory weight), adding a "premium" restriction free version is just blatently anti-consumer

Especially since this isn't a free to play game. Entry isn't free. I get they put a lot of work into wastelanders, but that doesn't excuse it. Also, the fact they are trying to monetize private servers instead of giving a player an option to host their own world on their own is ridiculous as well. There isn't a game out there that supports private servers that doesn't hand you the keys and even give you the server requirements to boot. Leave it to Bethesda to even try to monetize THAT as well.

Rumor has it they are in substantial financial difficulty though with project overruns on TES 6 and Starfield. Play with the bull and get the horns.

Cybsled

Chinese stealth suit and helmet is in the game and looks badass. There is also a part where you can kill communist agents lol

Cybsled

No and it probably never will be in the foreseeable future. They sometimes have free weekends, though.

If you can find a copy cheap, the game is worth it. Most of you were bitching about lack of NPCs/etc. Well now it has that, so stop being YongYea dick riders and try it yourself and form your own opinion lol

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Played it the last two days after a one year break. Well, I am sorry but it's still a trash game but now a trash game with npcs. Shoehorning some quests onto this pos makes it a tiny bit better but this game has so many flaws it is beyond everything.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm one of the retards that bought this in spite of the collective wisdom from this thread, I played it once, it didn't have ultrawide support yet, and didn't center your play window with black bars. It just shoved it to the left side of the screen and then left a large section of just my desktop on the right. If you moved your mouse to far over, it would get stuck on the desktop, and force you to do an alt tab dance to try and get your cursor back. You could force it to stretch to fullscreen coverage, but then the already not as pretty as it should be game, literally looked like you took a big handful of Vasoline and smeared it into your eyes. I know they've since patched all this, but I paid full price for a one time log in on this piece of crap. I may give it a couple patch cycles and then debate loading this up again for my Fallout fix, or just modding the shit out of Fallout 4 and probably having a better experience.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Played it the last two days after a one year break. Well, I am sorry but it's still a trash game but now a trash game with npcs. Shoehorning some quests onto this pos makes it a tiny bit better but this game has so many flaws it is beyond everything.

curious what you find to be the biggest flaws (not counting inventory management, that’s a given)

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Weapons reload animation looks really ass, i think i can't play FPS with animations like that anymore in 2020.
Bow left handed only ? WTF is this, because of the pitboy ? Then why a fucking Mod have the option in fallout4 ..?

5 weapons model by type. Solutions ? Well go buy "skin" in the shop.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

j00t

so, yesterday my friend decided to buy me, herself and another friend fallout 76. due to the quarentine she's been a little stir crazy and she wanted to hang out with us but, well, the world is on house arrest... i was like, no, no it's fine, i don't want you to buy it for me, but then 10 minutes later i got an e-mail from steam that she gifted it to me. she had never played a fallout game before, so it was a nice moment listening to how interested she was in the setting.

so far i'm enjoying it, honestly. i mean it's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and there is a ton more "i don't know what the fuck is going on" moments because the game does a TERRIBLE job of explaining ANYTHING. it all seems to be built on having prior understanding of how the game works. the npc's do a decent job of telling you where to go quest-wise, but your thrown into the C.A.M.P./settlement building almost completely blind. i mean, even simple things like what buttons do what is completely trial and error. the amount of times she was like, "how do i move this... what button switches this... how do i get to..."

i mean it's not overly difficult, obviously, it's just... there are no basic explanations on anything. the game doesn't tell you that you scrapping weapons and armor will usually give new plans for those items, and then that you have to navigate through the pip-boy and then read the plans before you can do anything with them. the perk screen is pretty silly too, since you can't see down the line like in previous games. it makes it really hard to plan your character out, especially if you don't know about the good perks like grim reapers sprint or whatever.

anyway, that being said the game looks really pretty solid. it's CLEARLY built on what is basically the same fallout 4 engine, but with a pretty good ENB mod. but like i said for the time being i'm enjoying it for what it is. i haven't really run into any of the nonsense that everyone talked about since launch, as well. /shrug

• 1Like

Cybsled

I do agree there. The pip boy system and camp build system in this game is almost identical to FO4, so if you played a lot of FO4 and made bases, it makes sense. But without that, it wouldn't right away and would take a lot of trial and error (especially trying to power stuff). I think there are a couple quests that have you build a basic camp at game start for some XP. Mort at the Wayward bar also has an option to ask him about making camps, although I didn't bother going through that so I can't comment on how good it turned out being.

j00t

mort's quest is basically "listen to these holotapes" and the holotapes are basically "these are the things you can do at camp"

duchess has you build a couple things, but again, it's "build a weapons workbench." there's no explanation on HOW to do those things. but yeah it's basically identical to fallout4, so it all immediately made sense to me

Cybsled

Oh, did you have power armor frames on you when you last logged in? A patch a long time ago removed the pieces from the frame and put them in your inventory, so that might be the case. Just summon the frames and toss the pieces back on it.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
no i was using the carry capacity bug last time i played. my inventory is probably full of heavy junk i need to sell or deconstruct