Fantasy Football 2013 Advice Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, the Jets were pretty terrible, but Shone Green still was the 19th ranked RB overall last season (at least in PPR) which would be good enough to be a #2 RB in a 10+ team league.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I am putting together my personal draft rankings and I am having a hard time figuring out where to put Brady. What effect do you think his WR turn-over on his fantasy production and do you think his draft stock may drop because of it?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
None.. Brady is still a top QB. Expect similar production as last year. It's not the first time he's had turnover with his WRs

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I expect it to drop. Not off a cliff, but still drop some. What probably won't drop is people's perception of him. So he's still going to go in the first 3-4 rounds, depending on your scoring system. FF is about minimizing risk and getting probability on your side. To me, Brady is too much of a risk warrant spending a pick that high. I'd rather grab a RB or stud WR and use Ryan/RG3/Romo/Luck.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the big question is where you value Wilson/RG3/Kaep. With the running aspect they can be fantasy monsters at the QB position but any of them could have had a flash in the pan season, and there's the injury concerns. Depending how much you believe in drafting them makes a difference between Brady being a top five or just a top ten fantasy QB. He's still a very solid pick, I'd expect that he's going to continue to provide great fantasy numbers as always no matter who is catching the ball. Its the rest of his team that are essentially worthless as high picks until we see who has breakout years.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I was kind of hoping he might drop into sleeper territory (relatively speaking) but I have a feeling his name alone will keep his draft stock high. Looking over my research so far, I have pretty much decided that I have to go RB/RB this year unless something really whacky happens in my draft. Even with PPR I just don't see 20 viable fantasy starters at RB this year. Too many question marks, injury risks and time-shares.

I'm not worried about WR that much, think WR is deep this year (especially in PPR which helps balance out TD's). I'm really worried about finding value and QB and I don't know who the fuck to pick at TE if Ghraham goes early.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Vernon Davis should have his best year this year. They will need him a lot with no Crabtree and a young QB.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think the big question is where you value Wilson/RG3/Kaep.
I already know that Wilson will be overvalued in my draft because I am in Seahawks country. Honestly with Wilson, he is still only going to be throwing 20-25 times a game, so while he will be winning games, he won't be putting up huge fantasy numbers except in the couple of games where the read/option is open for him. Him being a running QB is vastly overblown and most of his scrambling is done to extend plays to get throws off.

I'm worried about Kaep's WR situation so I'm not willing to go with him as my QB this year.

RG3 is tough because you just aren't going to know his status until near the beginning of the season. I'm personally staying away from him because I plan on only carrying one QB this year until the bye-weeks and unless his status 100% certain, I can't risk going into week 1 with him as my starter.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well then Brady is solidly top five for you IMO. I think you can count on him to start all 16 too, I don't see that as a given for RG3, there's going to be moments when Cousins steals snaps starting or not. Now where do you rank him next to Manning, Rodgers, Brees?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Vernon Davis should have his best year this year. They will need him a lot with no Crabtree and a young QB.
I think Davis is the best looking fantasy tight end in the draft. He seemed to get ignored a lot when they first switched from Smith to Kaep but as the season and playoffs wore on he started to re-emerge, so you would hope he picks up where he left off. Could be a real steal considering how far he might fall.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For me it's Rodgers, Brees, Manning Brady.

No doubt. Davis is going to be a good grab this year. I would also keep an eye on Owen Daniels.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
My concern with Vernon Davis is the fact they lost Delanie Walker. He forced defenses to stay honest, that combined with Crabtree going down, VD is going to be easier to game-plan against. That said, I expect the Niners to get more creative in finding ways to get VD the ball (lining him up in the slot sometimes, etc.) and he will probably be under-valued based on how little he got the ball aside from the Chicago game once Kaep took over.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd say Brees, then probably Brady. Toss up with Manning and Rodgers, I like Manning with Welker though.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Depends on how your keeper league works (if you have to give up a draft pick to keep him, it would depend on which draft pick) but after Gronk and Graham there is a pretty big drop off on TE fantasy production. So I would say yes, keep him. Just know you are going to have to carry a second TE pretty much all season so you will be a little thin at either RB or WR.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I've got #2 in a standard 12 man league. AP is going first. We live in MN no one would do any different. Is Foster the obvious choice? Any of you dudes got a compelling reason to go with someone else?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep Gronk ya guys think?
I have him and am NOT keeping him due to injury concerns and having four other players at/around/above his level to choose from. Its just not worth it to me. He's not going to make or break your season IMO, much more valuable to lock down QB/RB/WR at elite levels.

I've got #2 in a standard 12 man league. AP is going first. We live in MN no one would do any different. Is Foster the obvious choice? Any of you dudes got a compelling reason to go with someone else?
Calvin Johnson or whatever top back you think is best. They all have question marks. Any reason not to go with Foster there will be equivalent reason to be worried about someone else.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I would go RB for sure (of course, I've already advocated returning to RB/RB for your first two picks this year). You could also consider Ray Rice or Marshawn Lynch, if you want to get really cute can throw Doug Martin and Alferd Morris into the mix. But if it were me I would go just go Foster.