Fantasy Football 2013 Advice Thread

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Ok so injury concerns around Foster have dropped him from the #2 slot. Who do you guys take now in the Martin/Charles/Spiller/Lynch/Morris group? I really hate taking RBs on bad teams and Martin concerns me simply because such a big % of his points came from that one monster game last year. I'd almost like to take Lynch there but I don't think many people would agree with me.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm all in on Spiller being the safest bet of the guys you named, everyone else has some question marks. I don't trust the Bucs system and like you said it could be a fluke. KC we don't know for certain if Reid's system will come out firing on all cylinders and I don't fully trust Charles health wise. Lynch is getting older though still in prime years, we can't say for sure how the offense will look in terms of who gets touches but I'm sure he will be the workhorse again, however he also could get suspended if this DUI thing plays out badly. I'd worry about Morris getting vultured at the goal line and in touches too much to take him that high, but he's a solid pick in the second round if he falls.

Have you considered Trent Richardson? They are going to run his ass into the ground. And you could always buck the trend and go with Calvin Johnson. After having drafted this weekend for the first time this year I really agree that WR is incredibly deep, plus some solid TE options floating around if you have flex/TE slots to use. With 12 teams the RB's are going to disappear a lot faster so I'd probably stick with that especially if you are doing a snake since your next pick is going to be a long wait.

I ended up having Dez fall back to me for my first pick in my keeper league since everyone else was grabbing backs as I suspected. So I'm not as worried about using a keeper on Foster now, but I was all ready to grab Tate for insurance later in the draft when someone swiped him a couple picks ahead of me. I think that's a big part of being a Foster owner this year. Tate would step in and produce almost as well and the system and team down there is as run friendly as any team in the league.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Lynch's DUI issue won't come into play this season. His hearing has been pushed back till I think the end of December now and the league won't act until after that. If you aren't taking Peterson/Foster, Lynch would be up next on my board, although I wouldn't fault anyone for leaning Spiller instead. I just like Lynch's track-record more and Seattle is going to be a run first and run often team.

I also like Morris because I think RG3 is going to have marching orders to hand the ball off more often and to keep it himself less. You know Shanahan is going to run the ball and when he settles on a feature RB they generally are fantasy gold. With that said I would still look at Lynch and Spiller first. Charles might also be a good call in PPR but he is to streaky for my tastes. Martin, I dunno, he is a first-rounder, but not a top 3 pick.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
In my league, which is more WR and QB driven (only 1 RB slot, no flex) it looks like Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, Maurice Jones-Drew, DeMarco Murray and Reggie Bush will fall to me. I suspect my 1st RB pick will be the 13th RB taken overall, because of the guy that owns Foster will be looking to hedge that injury. Out of that set of names, who would you take for just solid production, but could have a higher ceiling? I'm kinda thinking RDMC, but would like some other opinions.

On a side note I am looking to take Eddie Lacy a little early to hedge these older/injury prone RB choices.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I doubt Steven Jackson lasts until 13. If he does, I would lean towards him. My own personal ranking of the ones you listed: Jackson, Johnson, Gore, MDJ, Bush, Murray, McFadden. If it's PPR, I would slot Bush higher than MDJ and maybe Gore.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have the 3rd pick in a 14 team ppr draft. 6 points for passing td's and bonus points for long touchdowns for all positions. In our league Qb's go fast and early. Just to give you an idea, Brees was the highest scorer in our league last year and Rodgers the year before that. Brees scored over 240 more points then Eli Manning last year using our scoring system. He scored over 100 points more then Peterson last year. In our league the top 5 Qb's go in the first or second rounds. Most good Qb's are gone by the 4th.

Ok all that said, I was planning on going rb, rb for the first time in 4 years. I was in the championship game the last 2 years picking a qb first so I am scared to death of this strategy. Qb is so deep this year I feel I can wait till the 4th round.
I need to know which Rb's are the best to target in the first 2 rounds. I have the 3rd and 26th picks. I was leaning towards Spiller and Wilson as both of these guys are falling to me in my mock drafts. Trust me I know at number 3 I have a choice of everyone except for AP as I expect one person in front of me to choose a qb. I think spiller has more upside then any other Rb including Foster, Martin, Lynch etc.... its the second pick that's tough.

Whats your favorite rb outside the top ten?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
For PPR I would look at Sproles and Bush. Also Morris and Jackson *might* fall to you based on the description of your league. Also, I hate to go there but I have a good feeling about Chris Johnson this year. He isn't going to be back to CJ2K form, but I bet he'll be a steal in most drafts.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I have the 3rd pick in a 14 team ppr draft. 6 points for passing td's and bonus points for long touchdowns for all positions. In our league Qb's go fast and early. Just to give you an idea, Brees was the highest scorer in our league last year and Rodgers the year before that. Brees scored over 240 more points then Eli Manning last year using our scoring system. He scored over 100 points more then Peterson last year. In our league the top 5 Qb's go in the first or second rounds. Most good Qb's are gone by the 4th.

Ok all that said, I was planning on going rb, rb for the first time in 4 years. I was in the championship game the last 2 years picking a qb first so I am scared to death of this strategy. Qb is so deep this year I feel I can wait till the 4th round.
I need to know which Rb's are the best to target in the first 2 rounds. I have the 3rd and 26th picks. I was leaning towards Spiller and Wilson as both of these guys are falling to me in my mock drafts. Trust me I know at number 3 I have a choice of everyone except for AP as I expect one person in front of me to choose a qb. I think spiller has more upside then any other Rb including Foster, Martin, Lynch etc.... its the second pick that's tough.
You aren't gonna like hearing this, but you need to pick Rodgers or Brees. I had the 3rd pick in a 14 team ppr, 6 pt passing TD league with college friends. I took Rodgers. I agree with you that QB is really deep, but coming back around at 26th is such a long wait when you see so much talent get taken in front of you. So then you think you def need another RB. What happens if you go Spiller/Bush, then on your 31st pick all the top 10 QB's are gone? Are you gonna be happy with Luck, Manning, Roethlisberger or Flacco's production? I say Rodgers or Brees, then grab Sproles or Bush with 26th.

Hootie

I took Brees last year with the same pick, I was happy because he was the highest point scorer in the whole league. However none of my sleeper rb's worked out last year and I was carried by my wr's and a lot of good luck. Brees was money because he won me a few weeks by himself.
The year before I took Rodgers first and won my league. Problem this year is I am in a good spot to get 2 good rb's AND a good quarterback. You can take a good qb in the 3rd since you are right a the beginning or wait and nab luck or Wilson later on in the 5th.
I tried to make other posters on a few boards understand the power of an elite Qb in a large league. They just do not understand. I do not want to be one of the first to take a qb this year even though I was in the championship game the last two years.

I try to stay ahead of the curve and I think I can win changing up my strategy this year and going more traditional.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, really to know what a good draft strategy is for your league we'd probably need to see all the actual scoring rules. And info like what was the difference in points between the 1st ranked QB vs the 14th ranked QB and the point difference between the 1st, 14th and 28th ranked RBs.

The reason RB/RB works with standard scoring is because the difference between the 1st ranked and 10th ranked QB's isn't nearly as great as the 1st RB and the 10th and 20th RBs. With some wonky scoring rules that could easily change the dynamic making a top QB a priority. Tough to say w/o digging into your league rules.

Titan_sl

shitlord
So I got fucked on RBs this year(12th pick in snake draft) and ended up picking up Forte and Brees 1&2. Every sure bet RB was off the board and CJ. My receiver group is strong, but my backs are pretty terrible(Forte, Lawfirm[looks like Bengals like Gio alot], Kendall Hunter and Blount(who like 5 people have asked me to trade to them).

I did have an offer on Vincent Jackson and Tony Gonzales for MJD, but I don't know if it's worth it to lose top 5 TE production and Top 5 WR production for top 10 RB

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I say fuck that, keep an eye out for injury opportunities or handcuffs who could be good to have on the bench. Forte might end up being pretty underrated anyway.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Drafted 12th in a 12 team league. I might be a little weak at WR, but I can usually supplement that position easier through the waiver wire than the other positions. I grabbed a couple high-upside RBs and then took everyone's handcuffs.

rrr_img_41468.jpg

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For a standard scoring league who is my best flex option for week 1: sproles, shane vareen, or demarco murray?

Fadaar

That guy
Ugh, picking 7th in a 14 team league for work. Normal lineups/scoring... QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Def, K. Depending on which RB's get taken might snag someone like Calvin Johnson but I really don't want to wait on getting RB's with a draft that deep.

ValkyrieIATD

So C.J. Spiller's QB situation just went from miserable toabysmaland hisStep-Grandfatherjust went postal.

Again, I love the guy's talent, but at this point I'd much rather have McCoy, Charles or even Steven Jackson/Matt Forte. I'm selling.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Ugh, picking 7th in a 14 team league for work. Normal lineups/scoring... QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Def, K. Depending on which RB's get taken might snag someone like Calvin Johnson but I really don't want to wait on getting RB's with a draft that deep.
I'd take Richardson if he's there. I think he has a good chance of being a Top 3 guy and he's been going 8th or later in most drafts. You're right that most of the top tier will be gone by the time you draft again. I'd take him and them hope one of the Top 4 QBs magically fall to me at 22. MJD/Wilson are good options that might drop to you in the 2nd round as well.

Fadaar

That guy
Yep pretty much what I'm betting on. That and picking up a lot of 2nd string RB's on solid running teams to ride the bench and hop in if needed.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I would draft RB's early and often in a league that deep if I were you. Might not be a sexy pick but non-sexy but solid RB's are going to be A LOT harder to come by than non-sexy but solid WR's. You go Megatron in the first round there may not be any RB's worth taking by the time your third pick rolls around. You will be left with grabbing other peoples handcuffs and hoping for injury.