Fantasy Football 2013 Advice Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jamal Charles and Trent Richardson are getting some pretty high initial fantasy rankings too. Both of them figure to see a lot of action under their new coaches and neither are facing terribly stiff run competition on the schedule. Of course defenses can improve, I sure expect Baltimore's run D to as they couldn't fall much farther. But Richardson should be a total workhorse. I'm keeping Foster as I said but I think the concerns over injury/mileage and Tate are significant.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I don't like Charles' "Boom-or-Bust" scoring consistency. I'll take the guy who scores 20 points week-in-week-out over the guy who might go off for 40, or might be held to 5. Foster is equal to Peterson atop most scoring consistency matrixes.

It is a little tough to evaluate that with a new coach coming in. I will say that I liking Charles in PPR, but not with Foster/Rice/Lynch on the board.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
CJ Spiller is gonna be a stud this year. Don't know if I would take him over Foster, but he's gonna piss off a lot of people.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does Lynch have anyone stealing significant carries? I'm predicting right now that Ray Rice owners will learn to hate Bernard Pierce.

I'm half convinced that Spiller will bust just because I'm keeping him. I think I'll be picking like third from last, I'm hoping Dez might possibly just drop back to me in that league or another good WR value.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Does Lynch have anyone stealing significant carries?
No, closest is Turbin and he isn't likely to vulture anything from Lynch. I think Lynch will end up second only to Peterson in carries this year (barring injury).

Only two things to be concerned with Lynch about. First is that he has had back trouble (spasms) in the past, nothing that kept him out of any games last year, but something to keep an eye on. The other is he could get vultured by Russell Wilson if the read-option is wide open for him. But even last year the two games that Wilson really went off with the read-option (Chicago and Buffalo) Lynch still got TD's in each of those games.

Railin_sl

shitlord
10 team ppr league. Everyone must keep one. My rbs were bust. I am currently debating keeping either Jimmy Graham or Cam Newton... I have 10th pick in snake order, so im definitely getting best available RBs back to back my first 2 picks... If I keep graham, then I would feel pressured to take a QB in the 3rd or 4th round... If I keep Cam, then there's no pressure to take a QB early, and I wouldn't even worry about taking a TE until late, and maybe scoop a break out player off waivers and play match ups week to week... Thoughts?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10 team ppr league. Everyone must keep one. My rbs were bust. I am currently debating keeping either Jimmy Graham or Cam Newton... I have 10th pick in snake order, so im definitely getting best available RBs back to back my first 2 picks... If I keep graham, then I would feel pressured to take a QB in the 3rd or 4th round... If I keep Cam, then there's no pressure to take a QB early, and I wouldn't even worry about taking a TE until late, and maybe scoop a break out player off waivers and play match ups week to week... Thoughts?
Who are these bust RB's? I'd lean towards Cam personally, though I'm not really experienced with PPR picks.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Keep Graham, out side of Gronk (who may or may not be available to start the season) you just aren't going to get that kind of production out of TE. QB is deep this year, even if you miss out on one of the top 4-5 QBs, the production you will get out of the TE spot vs your opponents will more than make up for the difference.

Railin_sl

shitlord
Who are these bust RB's? I'd lean towards Cam personally, though I'm not really experienced with PPR picks.
Ryan Mathews and Ahmad Bradshaw..

Keep Graham, out side of Gronk (who may or may not be available to start the season) you just aren't going to get that kind of production out of TE. QB is deep this year, even if you miss out on one of the top 4-5 QBs, the production you will get out of the TE spot vs your opponents will more than make up for the difference.
Thats what I was thinking initially... I will just have to worry about when to take a QB.. I'm thinking it would have to be 3rd or 4th pick.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Some interesting Vernon Davis analysis from Sando over at ESPN:

We should expect Davis' receiving stats to swell this season in the absence of injured primary receiver Michael Crabtree. Davis appeared to be gaining momentum as a receiver last season before Crabtree was injured. Davis had six catches for 104 yards in the Super Bowl. He had five catches for 106 yards in the NFC title game. Crabtree also had 11 receptions over those two games, but Davis had a 210-166 advantage in yardage.
I generally stay away from "homer" picks but if the price is right...

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, like I said, seemed like just some downtime before Kaepernick started using him as a go to guy. I really think he's the sleeper for high TE selections.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
At the rate ACL's are getting blown out this pre-season, I'm wondering if there will be any players left come draft day.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I figured I'd look it up to see who did this time, and I'm coming up with too many. Was there one in particular that brought that comment about opiate?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Nah, not a player in particular. I was just on ESPN's website and I think like 1/2 the headlines were about players who torn ACL's and were done for the year.

As far as fantasy is concerned, I think these injuries are changing the landscape of WR this year. Not only do we already have several #1's done for the year, but looking through the injury reports there are a lot of guys who have question-mark type injuries (e.g. will Jordy Nelson be 100% to start the season). I thought WR was deep this year but injuries are taking their toll.

Also, with so many WR going down, there are going to be some no-name guys who step up in a big way. Being able to identify those guys either late in the draft or as early season waiver-wire pick ups are going to go a long ways to helping someone win a title.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure which round I would put him in but Tavon Austin is someone to look at getting. Rams have the pieces to play some good ball this year.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I think I'd be happy with mid to late first round selections for them. I can't see either being a top five fantasy player really.

And with Gronk's health status I'd hardly even put him at the top of my TE list. But yeah, all three of those teams its really the QB and that's it for top fantasy production. I can see taking some of their other players for depth and in deep leagues, but not as a keeper. I'd go for some trade value in the draft since its an option.
I ended up selling Cobb. However, now there is talk that Gronk may actually start the season not on the PUP list.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5729/rob-gronkowski

If they declare Gronk fit to start the season before my keeper deadline, do I keep Gronk over Cruz, and sell Cruz to the highest bidder in my up coming draft?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they declare Gronk fit to start the season before my keeper deadline, do I keep Gronk over Cruz, and sell Cruz to the highest bidder in my up coming draft?
I'd say yes if you are that comfortable with his status. I'm still letting him drop from keepers personally.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
CJ Spiller is gonna be a stud this year. Don't know if I would take him over Foster, but he's gonna piss off a lot of people.
I so very badly want this to be true. I drafted Spiller in every league last year and now have him in two big money keeper leagues. The dude's shake and bake is absolutely off the charts.

But the Bills' QB situation is worse than the Jets' right now, and that's a scary proposition for any offense. New-everything over there. Fitzpatrick could at least manage a game (until the 4th at least)... neither Manuel or Kolb have really done that at an NFL level, and Kolb just gotattacked by a floor mat.

I know they say they want to give Spiller the ball"until he throws up", but I definitely worry about shit-QB syndrome and overuse/injury.