Fantasy Football 2013 Advice Thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He was pretty certain lol. I managed to talk a friend out of starting Romo yesterday tho. The more I thought about it the more I realized it would be a risky play. I didn't think he would be that bad tho.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Romo will always be a volatile high upside play. Even after this week he is still going to be a top-5 in QB's points scored. You know me, I hate volatile guys like that and generally don't have them on my team, but sometimes depending on your records, projected points and your opponent can dictate going with a high-upside play. Just need to be prepared for the opposite to happen.

Good news for my team is that I will now be the highest scoring team in my league despite my loss this week. 2 of the playoff wildcard spots are handed out by total points scored rather than record, so I am looking pretty good for a playoff spot, although we do have a 13 week regular season so a couple of games to go still.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wish we had that system. I reclaimed my top points spot this week but I'll still be a game out of first. I started Andre Brown yesterday. I have been missing a quality RB since week 1 when Vareen went down. I'm loving my lineup going forward in my 14 man league. Basically...
QB-RG3
Wr1-Megatron
Wr2-Dez
RB1-Sproles/Vareen
RB2-Andre Brown
TE-Julius Thomas
Flex-VernonDavis/Vareen/Sproles
K-Gano
D-Seattle

I'd be scared playing that team lol!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, like two years in a row we had one of the highest scoring teams in our league miss the playoffs because they also had highest points against totals, so we decided to modify the playoff format a little bit to eliminated a little of the luck while maintaining the head-to-head format. Another way I've seen it done is you basically have the potential to get 2 wins (or losses) each week. One win is for the head-to-head match-up, but also the top-5 (or top 7 in a 14 team league) scoring teams that week also get a win.

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
I give: reggie bush,TY hilton, joquie bell, for A.J. Green, Lesean Mccoy, and Bryce brown. I'm 8-2 sitting in first place in our league with most points/best record. 0.5 ppr. I'm tempted just to decline as I have had a great thing going so far and just ride it out with what I have, but it is a very tempting offer.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless there's some serious injury or bye week concerns that seems like a no-brainer for you. Bush/McCoy are pretty close, but Green is a steady top 5ish WR and Hilton is a streaky as fuck top-20 guy.

The 2 handcuff guys don't factor in for me.

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well i have desean, so if I did the trade I would have desean ,lesean ,AJ on bye week 12. Which is the same week I would play the guy offering the trade. I do really like hilton going forward being the only guy in indy, those are the two things giving me pause in pulling the trigger. If this was 3 weeks ago I would have done it immediately.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmmm, I guess just stick with what's working then. Though week 12 is gonna have Hilton blanketed by the Arizona D so he's probably not gonna do much, might take some of the sting out of that week.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Ummm, Green is the #1 ranked WR in PPR (not sure on 0.5ppr but it has to be close). For full PPR that is a full 6+ point per week increase for you (just counting the obvious starters here). Byes do cause a little bit of a problem as McCoy and Green have a bye in week 12 which may or may not be during your playoffs depending on your format, but on the surface taking that trade looks like a win for you. If you can afford to tank a game in week 12 then I say take it, if that is your playoffs then I say no.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What fantasy football site is offering that kind of format?
Not sure which format you are talking about. For my league I just manually set the playoff teams to account for the teams that get the top-points-scored wildcard births (I use ESPN). As far as the other format, I'm not sure if any sites automatically handle that or not. I would think that it wouldn't be hard to account for either format with even a semi-active commissioner.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Meant for the 2nd format. My big money league commish is active, but wouldn't do that kind leg work.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I have long advocated that even the worst teams have at least 1 viable fantasy starter on them. This year has been a different story. Jacksonville is obviously historically bad. The best option on their team is Cecil Shorts, but he still is outside starter contention unless you are in a 14 team league. Miami barely notches a viable fantasy starter with the #10 ranked TE. Oakland does not have a single starter until Denarius Moore who only gets a starting spot in 14+ team leagues. The only viable fantasy starter the Jets are fielding is their kicker. Torrey Smith is BARELY keeping Balitmore off this list.

Now some of these teams do have guys who are good for spot starts or bye week fill ins, but overall I found it surprising how many teams are practically irrelevant from a fantasy football perspective.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Vernon Davis gets cleared I need to decide between him and vareen... I'm leaning towards Vareen

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
I give: reggie bush,TY hilton, joquie bell, for A.J. Green, Lesean Mccoy, and Bryce brown. I'm 8-2 sitting in first place in our league with most points/best record. 0.5 ppr. I'm tempted just to decline as I have had a great thing going so far and just ride it out with what I have, but it is a very tempting offer.
What kind of taco would trade away two of the best fantasy players this year for an injury risk and a mediocre streak player? It's no wonder you are 8-2.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
If Vernon Davis gets cleared I need to decide between him and vareen... I'm leaning towards Vareen
I'm assuming you mean Shane Vereen? If so, it isn't a guarantee he plays either (but it is looking like it). Also doesn't mean he is getting a full workload either, especially with Belichick who is second only to Shanahan in frustrating fantasy owners with their RB usage. On the flip side the 49ers passing attack has been so Jekyll-and-Hyde that you can't possibly predict what you are going to get out of VD if healthy. If you can afford to, or need to gamble I go with Davis as I think he has higher upside. Vereen is probably safer points but probably won't see a full workload.

What kind of taco would trade away two of the best fantasy players this year for an injury risk and a mediocre streak player? It's no wonder you are 8-2.
I would guess the "taco" is trying to dump those week 12 bye week players because you can't have two of your best players on bye in the playoffs.

Nothar

Molten Core Raider
Ok guys. We are down to 8 people left in the suicide pool I entered this year out of over 300 entries. Winner gets over 3 Grand, so I am sweating about this week's pick. Of the teams left available for me to pick a winner, it seems to me that my best available choices are either Arizona on the Road against Jacksonville or Houston at home against Oakland. Could also pick Cincy at home against Browns or Giants at home against Packers. I am kind of leaning towards AZ as my pick, even though I hate to pick road teams in this format. Any thoughts?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Those are some awful choices. To me it would be between Giants over Packers (starting Tolzien) and Arizona over Jacksonville. Oakland/Houston is a crapshoot as are the Bengals on a week to week basis.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Have Rodgers in one league, so I'm scrambling for a potential fill-in. This is a 6pt passing TD league and options are Pryor, Campbell, Palmer, Tolzien, McCown, Glennon. Leaning towards Campbell, but God help me I may play Palmer versus Jacksonville. Thoughts?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Ok guys. We are down to 8 people left in the suicide pool I entered this year out of over 300 entries. Winner gets over 3 Grand, so I am sweating about this week's pick. Of the teams left available for me to pick a winner, it seems to me that my best available choices are either Arizona on the Road against Jacksonville or Houston at home against Oakland. Could also pick Cincy at home against Browns or Giants at home against Packers. I am kind of leaning towards AZ as my pick, even though I hate to pick road teams in this format. Any thoughts?
I would take the Giants facing a 3rd string QB personally. However in the last three years I have been knocked out in week 1, week 2 and week 2 in my survivor pools so take my advice with a grain of salt
wink.png

Have Rodgers in one league, so I'm scrambling for a potential fill-in. This is a 6pt passing TD league and options are Pryor, Campbell, Palmer, Tolzien, McCown, Glennon. Leaning towards Campbell, but God help me I may play Palmer versus Jacksonville. Thoughts?
I would play Palmer, experience + matchup makes that the best play of the options you listed imo. Even if it is a close game it won't be a defensive battle.