Fantasy Football 2013 Advice Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
D/ST are so hard to predict because the ones that rack up the best scores are the ones who score TD's, which are so unpredictable. What I am doing is I am streaming D/ST, where each week I check the waiver wire for the best match up and pick them up. Worked well the first two weeks but got (kind of) burned this week going with Buffalo against the Jets.

My theory has always been that a D/ST can win you a game here or there, but if you are losing games because you have the wrong D/ST then there is something else wrong with your team.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The RB situation is making me look like a genius for taking Calvin Johnson and Mommy beater with my first 2 picks in a 14 man league. I started J.roders this week and he did ok. Hoping Steven Jackson misses a few more weeks.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
As long as you are getting enough out of your WR's compared to your opponents WR's to make up for what you are losing at the RB position relative to your opponents, yes it was a smart move. But as I keep stressing, you cannot compare point production across position groups. That is a huge mistake new fantasy football players make. The difference in scoring between the top 20 WR's is a total of 28 points (PPR) so far where for the RB's, even with scoring being down at that position, the difference is almost double that (46 points/PPR).

The scoring gap between RB's is much greater.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ha I'm not new man. Been playing since the early 90s. I've won a lot of leagues..I was lucky enough as a kid to wash dishes at a place that had a league. I've even had Barry sanders on my team heh. We just approach it different. To me it's all about total points. I had a chance to draft guys like Reggie Bush or Steven Jackson over Dez Bryant. I felt Dez would be the better pick bc of health concerns with those 2.. I just want points I don't care where they come from. For instance.. Tonight I have Julius Thomas again at flex bc he's been producing. I can't sit him for anything at this point bc he's scoring too many points.. More than most RB1s.

For the record my plan was to grab guys like Sproles and Vareen. I got both but Vareen went down. 14 man league doesn't leave much in backups

opiate82

Bronze Squire
No I know. Again, I just like to post my line of thinking to help those out following the thread who are new.
wink.png

I just don't want people thinking next year "RB scoring is down so I'm going to load up on WR's" because that would be a bad move. Yeah, 14 man leagues lead to really funky things happening during the draft. Anything over 10 and you have to really start thinking outside the box depending on how the draft goes. Also, obviously the flex is one spot where you CAN compare points production across positions. I'm feeling you on Vereen, I thought I had fantasy gold with him. Now I'm left hoping that David Wilson and the Giants get their act together or that C.J. Spiller misses some time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea.. Typically RBs are the way to go unless it's a very deep RB league. This year it wasn't so people took guys higher than normal. They are getting burned bc of it. I don't think that will be the case all season but damn it's an odd trend.. I think it's part in due to the talent at QB. Lots of depth there and coaches seem to be ok to let them change more plays at the line to pass instead of run. It's more of a passing league now.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Fuck CJ Spiller, fuck Stevan Ridley, thank god I have Joique Bell, DeMarco Murray, Gio Bernard and Fred Jackson to make up for my first two picks being such fail.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
geez.. wish i had that depth lol
I tend to use the late round QB method. And go VERY heavy Running Back....not sure how I landed Murray as my 3rd pick, that one left me scratching my head. Bell was a waiver pick up and Jackson and Gio were a bit later. I am streaming QB's and TE's because of it.

So far it's been a bit of a mess because Spiller and Ridley have been so bad. First week I lucked into Terrelle Pryor, didn't work out for week two.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The bye weeks start this week, which is when I feel like the good teams start to separate themselves from those who can draft off a cheat-sheet.

Liking Brandon Bolden as a PPR RB pick up this week. Also Isaiah Pead could work as a fill in at RB in deeper leagues if Richardson continues to be hurt and/or losing his starting job. Normally I don't like starting RB's against the Niners, but the Niners run D looks to be a shell of its former self.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish Bolden would fall to me but no way as I'm 11th in line on the waiver wire due to standing..someone will grab him.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My team looked pretty strong to start the season, but my players are just performing like shit. Vincent Jackson, Andre Johnson, Stephen Jackson, Arian Foster, Tony Gonzalez have all been pretty shitty the last two games (at least). I really want to bench Foster but I can't make myself do it, because as soon as I do he is going to get a 3 td game or some shit.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, usually when it comes to your studs, you just have to ride it out with them. Even with him having an off year (so far) Foster is still top 20 which means he is probably better than any replacement level RB you can get at this point. Just have to hope he returns to form.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Somehow Bolden fell to me this week heh.. Hopefully the Pats keep using him.
Same here. Not sure if I should use him or not though. Had Vereen in week 1 from a really late round pick and that was working out great til he crumbled.

For my 2nd RB slot I've got Bolden, Powell, and Lamar Miller. For the flex I've got them and Hilton/Shorts. Thinking I have to go with Shorts now. Wanted to do it last week because the crazy number of targets he gets, but Seattle's D scared me off. Then he got 15 targets and 145 yards.

Soooo, Powell and Shorts just based on number of touches, right?

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
I'm considering starting Cutler over Ryan this week. Matty Ice is playing New England and Mr. 4th quarter is playing the Lions. Cutler burned up Detroit last year iirc. Thoughts?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Same here. Not sure if I should use him or not though. Had Vereen in week 1 from a really late round pick and that was working out great til he crumbled.

For my 2nd RB slot I've got Bolden, Powell, and Lamar Miller. For the flex I've got them and Hilton/Shorts. Thinking I have to go with Shorts now. Wanted to do it last week because the crazy number of targets he gets, but Seattle's D scared me off. Then he got 15 targets and 145 yards.

Soooo, Powell and Shorts just based on number of touches, right?
I am so glad I don't have Shorts. I would hate trying to figure out whether to play that guy week-to-week. Like last week sitting him against Seattle seems like a no-brainer and then he goes for 8/140. So you think this week you HAVE to put him in... but Jacksonville is going back to Gabbert. Fuck.

I go Hilton/Powell personally, but that is mainly because I just couldn't pull the trigger on putting Shorts in my line up, I am to risk-adverse. Most of the projections/ranks I have read so far put Shorts above Hilton.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm considering starting Cutler over Ryan this week. Matty Ice is playing New England and Mr. 4th quarter is playing the Lions. Cutler burned up Detroit last year iirc. Thoughts?
Stop carrying 2 QB's....

Okay, now that I said that (again) I start Ryan. Detroit has been stingy as far as QB fantasy points allowed goes.

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
Ok, I have an interesting choice to make (ASAP obviously) for this weeks games.

Due to injury and whatnot, my starting lineup looks different than I had on draft day, so even though I didn't plan on this kind of bye-week crunch, I'm having to deal with 3 players on Bye that I had started last week. I had Roddy White on the Bench (good choice even though he's been starting with that injury), but this week I've got him starting and hoping he looks more like his old self. Ryan Matthews was on the Bench, and as much as I hate it, I have him starting too....even when he gets yards, he's never in on 3rd downs and isn't getting much in the way of touchdown looks.

Ok, here is my choice, I picked up Ryan Broyles (Detroit) off waiver - (I was going to pick up Burleson but he broke his arm in a car wreck heh ugh)....anyways, Broyles has barely seen action this season coming off the bench, but now he's in a starting slot position expected to be in on all 3-reciever sets. My other choice is Le'Veon Bell (Pitt) - he has been injured, but he is finally just this week participating in full practices and is expected to play. This guy was my Dark Horse from the draft, he'll end up being the Steelers every-down back, but I wasn't really planning on starting him his very first week back from injury.

I'm filling a W/R slot, so it can be either Broyles who is barley off the bench but stepping in for someone else who is injured.....or Bell who is in his first NFL game and coming off an injury, but who should be hot shit once he gets going.

I"m leaning toward Bell, but it is a PPR league so a slot receiver can do some damage just by being involved.

(All that mess said, I could almost play them both and leave Matthews on the bench the way he's been producing heh)

I'm undefeated so far, but I'm gonna need a miracle for week 4. Half my starting slots feel like a big gamble this week regardless of what I pick. Any advice/insight would be awesome.