Far Cry 5

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So another 60$ game with microtransactions? I swear I've seen this fail somewhere before...

as said earlier in the thread, pretty much every ubisoft game in the last half decade has had microtransactions. they are really fairly pointless. the assassin's creed microtransactions are basically "show all X on the map." they were all previously classifed as DLC, but they doesn't really make sense for what they are. but once you buy them, you aren't going to buy them again. it's not like random loot crates. you know what you are buying before you pay.

argue whether or not it's worth it to pay for shortcuts or weapon reskins, that's fine. but based on what i've seen and the history of ubisoft with this sort of thing, it's definitely not a star wars battlefront situation

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ahh I thought it was loot crates, my bad. I still wish they wouldn't supplement 60$ games with this shit, but I guess I'm just whining at this point.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The microtransactions sound somewhere between Division (tolerable, but still shouldn't exist) and Ghost Recon Wildlands (fucking retarded). At least it doesn't appear that there's actual loot crates, just $$$ currency to buy shit.

Hope there's a day 1 patch, ACG's review made it sound like a fun game horribly marred by its terrible AI. Wildlands is still pretty much ruined because of that a year after release though, so I'm not too optimistic. Thankfully GameFly shipped it out today.

... skip to about 12:45 if you want his description of the MTX.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Lirik and Shorty are going to play this on co-op in an hour or so, if anyone is interested in seeing it before buying.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Not sure about bad AI, in terms of what? Watching CohhCarnage play on hard and he has died several times. I don't think the AI is amazing but its not completely terrible. The friendly AI does seem a bit worse, at least the human friendly AI, not sure about the animal companions.

I'm interested in how co-op will work because it always seems like co-op ruins these games unless you only play when your friend is with you.

Vorph

According to the ACG review it has the same problem all the Far Cry games do: way too many enemy patrols to the point where it's annoying and tedious to travel in anything but a helicopter. GR Wildlands is the same way. FC5 sounds even worse though, since it adds enemies magically spawning behind you to the mix. The AI itself sounds bad too. Friendly AI can't drive for shit, NPCs on both sides run in circles or into (and sometimes attacking) walls, etc. Again, it sounds a lot like the current state of GR Wildlands; it doesn't happen all the time, but definitely enough to be very off-putting. Especially compared to, say, The Division or AC Origins. Fortunately FC5 sounds a hell of a lot less repetitive than Wildlands, so I'm hoping it will be less aggravating.

Co-op basically works by having one person actually playing the story and the other person joins like one of the NPC companions. So it doesn't really matter if they drop in and out, but they also don't really get anything out of it besides whatever fun is to be had in the gameplay. The other person still needs to play the whole game themselves to actually experience it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, day 1 now:

Slant Magazine: 5/10
In context, though, Far Cry operating as if it’s business as usual is the series at its most oblivious. Far Cry 5 takes place in a Montana with no indigenous population, but there’s black people on every corner, which is more hilariously implausible than owning a pet bear. And whether intentionally or not, the game gives glory to a brand of grassroots militia fetishism that, just days before the its release, millions of Americans marched in the streets to oppose. It posits that people would need to be brainwashed to follow men like Joseph Seed, blind to how deep Christian fanaticism already runs, and how many would follow such a man if he only said the word “please.”​

Delly

Trakanon Raider
No one can just have fun anymore. Regardless of your political or social standing, I just enjoy the Farcry style and I wanted to kill some red neck sister fuckers. Roll tide!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Eurogamer, Kotaku, Polygon, and Vice reviews are exactly what you'd expect, an endless saltmine because the game isn't the Trump-supporter murder-simulator they were all fantasizing about.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Woot! I’m free!

I have GameFly sending me this one. I heard about a sidequest where you can collect Vinyl records and open your own radio station and listen to 70’s music. Licensed good solid rock and roll.

Something else I am looking forward to seeing in this, exploration seems to be more POI based and taken off the map. Almost a kin to the latest Zelda. GameFly should have my copy here tomorrow or Wednesday. If anyone wants to try some coop I’ll be down.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Welcome back my dude - ya, the thing that has me pretty pumped is the comparison to BOTW and the exploration modes etc. I'm pretty pumped for this as well and should have some time this weekend to dive in.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What platform are you on? I am busy for Easter stuff and out of town until Sunday but will have a lot of time sunday after about 3.

Wednesday I'll be playing with the Div 2 boys, but after 10pm central I'll have an hour or two. Pretty excited to see what they did with it in that regard as well. Finding things on your own and emergent play coming out of exploring. It's been absent for a long time. Coop could be very hilarious.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I will be playing on PS4. COOP look much more fun than I expected. (watched streamer linked earlier)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm enjoying the streams. Seems with a few tweaks it could be a pretty good game. May pick it up next winter if it's $30.

spronk

FPS noob
downloading now, its 37.75 gigs on xbox one. i went for xb1 over PS4 because it runs at 1800p on X and textures supposed to be slightly better. Coulda gone for PC but I like playing these kind of games on TV and not worrying about hackers in MP. Digital players can't play until 9pm PST unfortunately.

If you buy the season pass on ps4/xb1 you also get the remastered far cry 3, i've been meaning to play that for a while so went all in on gold edition

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
What platform are you on? I am busy for Easter stuff and out of town until Sunday but will have a lot of time sunday after about 3.

Wednesday I'll be playing with the Div 2 boys, but after 10pm central I'll have an hour or two. Pretty excited to see what they did with it in that regard as well. Finding things on your own and emergent play coming out of exploring. It's been absent for a long time. Coop could be very hilarious.
Probably ps4 pro!

• 1Like

Ladro

Anomaly
Watched a couple streams because I was curious and this just looks like redneck ghost recon wildlands to me.