Fast 8 (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
To be far to Vin though he is pretty much the only reason this series still exists. I was sure they were done after Tokyo Drift and he pretty much brought it back to relevance by himself. Does he have a huge ego now, especially with this franchise? Sure, but I feel like its warranted. As much as I like the Rock his ego is just as big and I feel like that's where this issue comes from. The Rock is going to own Hollywood soon with his production companies and all the shit he is doing behind the scenes. Vin probably doesn't, and won't, give up his franchise to him.

I thought it was good too. The submarine shit was even more insane than the plane, which is saying something. I'm not a fan of Eastwood's character though and also agree that the Rock/Statham scenes were some of the best in the movie. I'm sure in 9 they'll get back to more of what got them here instead of this one off.

Oh and I think Vin said they switched it from a racing movie to a heist movie with cars because it's a much larger demographic that enabled them to reach a wider audience. Seems like these billion dollar global openings prove him right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
So, I've never seen a fast and furious movie. This basically made me a unicorn to my friends, who insisted I needed to watch this one, and then the first one.

What in the actual fuck. How are there eight of these?

From the 4th on, it is a series of heist movies centered around cars. They are, too me, unquestionable the best "guilty pleasure" movie series. It doesn't make sense more often than it does, the stunts get more and more over the top, the characters are all cranked up to 11, the Rock showed up, Gal Gadot came and went, Statham is here now, along with Kurt Russel. It is over the top, bombastic and just fun at every chance.

They also get great directors, which helps a lot with making what could be a really shitty, stupid franchise into a great one. Justin Lin directed 3 to 6, James Wan directed 7 and F. Gary Gray directed 8.

As far as this installment:

I really liked the opening scene, going back to the "roots" of the series, with a simple car race for slips.

Then we transitioned into the movie and the Rock lead a girls soccer team in the Haka and I knew I was in for a good time.

Oldbased

> Than U
That'll be another 60 million dollar payday for Vin. Riddick 4 is a go and in pre production. I bet he can even afford to hire on Karl Urban again. Most excellent!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Someone needs to get Vin to help push for Dredd sequel(talking about Urban). I don't know how these keep rolling forward faster and faster but they've somehow found the magical formula. I haven't supported any in the theaters since 4 but glad for Vin and gang.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Does anyone watch this because of Vin? I'd rather they move this to a Rock/Statham franchise.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
holy shit haha, #1 worldwide opening of all time.

beats star wars 7 and jurassic world. fuck this planet.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
whats even more remarkable is that this piece of shit cost $250,000,000 to make.

upload_2017-4-16_22-4-4.png

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It's not cheap to make the Rock the highest paid actor in the world.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Stratham and Rock made this final destination of car movies enjoyable. Vin Diesel is acting like a baby back bitch. He's seeing the Rock surpass him in every way. His ego views him as a threat and not a financial assest that he is.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this tonight. It was a dumb movie, but I still enjoyed it. Not a dull moment. It would have been so easy to stop this hacking bitch, but that would have stopped the movie all together. Oh well, at least it was a fun ride.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
holy shit haha, #1 worldwide opening of all time.

beats star wars 7 and jurassic world. fuck this planet.

True. Though Star Wars movies (or other big "Christmas blockbusters") opening before Christmas in the US and Europe don't open until January in China and most of Asia.

Still impressive though. Vin Diesel is probably the world's biggest movie star now in China (if he wasn't already after Furious 7).

Star Wars (and Marvel/DC) will never be quite the juggernauts they are in the West (though still big). There's simply not as much nostalgia and entrenched fandom to play off. It's just another space-action-movie among others.