Final Fantasy 16

Cybsled

FF14 was able to skirt some of the ratings stuff because the team learned about loopholes.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Breakdown of FF16's rating (translated)
View attachment 446034

I assume this is from Spain or Mexico?

"anos" means years, so each of those numbers is indicating how old someone needs to be to see that particular thing.

Kinda interesting that sexual intercourse is "14 and up" considering it's very 18+ here. Not surprising though because Latin societies tend to be way more easygoing about sex than us stuffy Anglos. When I go to France or Spain I'm amazed at how many bare-breasted statues there are. It's awesome.

Cybsled

As a general rule of thumb:

Europe = nudity ok, violence bad
America = violence ok, nudity bad

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a general rule of thumb:

Europe = nudity ok, violence bad
America = violence ok, nudity bad

Yeah, no NRA over here and despite the Catholic church trying their hardest good luck getting the Italians and Spanish to choose god over titties.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Why even call it FF except to capitalize on the franshise name. Creator admits it's more like devil may cry than FF, and he wants to get away from everything that made FF great to move more towards what the kids like these days, FPS, and GTA (lol?). Fuck them.

• 2Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Why even call it FF except to capitalize on the franshise name. Creator admits it's more like devil may cry than FF, and he wants to get away from everything that made FF great to move more towards what the kids like these days, FPS, and GTA (lol?). Fuck them.
Its being led by the guy that saved FF 14. Have a lot of faith in YoshiP not fucking shit up. Combat guy also worked on Dragon's Dogma which was an insanely good game that I imagine a lot of people overlooked. Sounds like Soken is doing the music for it too. Seems less "GTA/DMC" and more of a faster take on FF14 if anything.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its being led by the guy that saved FF 14. Have a lot of faith in YoshiP not fucking shit up. Combat guy also worked on Dragon's Dogma which was an insanely good game that I imagine a lot of people overlooked. Sounds like Soken is doing the music for it too. Seems less "GTA/DMC" and more of a faster take on FF14 if anything.

I don't get this approach to YoshiP. He took a pig of a game and made it playable and then presided over the largest dumbing down of a game in MMO history. It's basically a homogenized dressup game now.

The things that made FF awesome were turn-based combat and being able to vary tactics to beat an encounter.

Based on the clip this just looks like more of the god awful twitch combat that 15 had. I've had zero desire to touch that game since I completed it years ago.

• 1Picard
  • 1Truth!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think I'm the opposite. I've never played a FF game besides 14 occasionally, and that game is rather mediocre tbh, though the Bee's Knee's Dance is top tier. I also detest turn based combat, its archaic and needs to die. I also detest party based combat in any form (turn based / action). I haven't seen anything about FF16 that I dislike, I think I can tolerate the AI controlled party members, but I don't see the point in having them aside from banter / story stuff.

• 1Barf
  • 1Faggotry

Cybsled

I don't get this approach to YoshiP. He took a pig of a game and made it playable and then presided over the largest dumbing down of a game in MMO history. It's basically a homogenized dressup game now

“Dumbing down” is a controversial topic. WoW had the same thing - recall the massive ability prune and homogenous class design. You have to keep in mind what drives that: maximizing player engagement

In games where you have limited player counts for encounters, you have to avoid “niche role” design, aka “buff bitch” or debuff, or some specific attack type that is optimal. While it is great for the class that has the ability, it means another player is excluded because they don’t have that ability. That is why MMOs in general have tried to move away from that type of design

The 2nd piece is simplifying a class. This one is hard to get right. Complexity for the sake of complexity isn’t good design, but making a class brain dead isn’t good design either. One thing I think is driving this is FF has to balance for controller users, which make up a big chunk of the JP Playerbase. I’ve seen posts from the JP side pushing for simplifying rotations and consolidating abilities. I think the oversimplification of summoner made the class more boring

As for the turn based stuff, i personally like it, but I can understand having to move away from that to keep a modern audience. RTS games have more or less died out as successful gameplay types because current market tastes aren’t aligning with it anymore

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FF15 was not a complete system, magic was completely neutered but they improved that for Comrades with a moderate amount of work. FF7R action combat was fine and had a higher skill ceiling for those inclined. But the negative for modern games is the lack of party selection for 15, FF7R Part 1 and for FF16. Controlable party members are dictated by what story chapter you are on with unalterable side/guest characters.

14's advantage is that you can do every class akin to Tactics and some older installments. Customize your hero, choose your party/guild mates, even your trusts for dungeons. Blue mage it up.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF15 was not a complete system, magic was completely neutered but they improved that for Comrades with a moderate amount of work. FF7R action combat was fine and had a higher skill ceiling for those inclined. But the negative for modern games is the lack of party selection for 15, FF7R Part 1 and for FF16. Controlable party members are dictated by what story chapter you are on with unalterable side/guest characters.

14's advantage is that you can do every class akin to Tactics and some older installments. Customize your hero, choose your party/guild mates, even your trusts for dungeons. Blue mage it up.

Blue Mage was the most fun I had in 14 in years. Real challenging fights and the solo ones you couldn’t be carried through, nice quests, and decent rewards. Shame the content for it releases at such a glacial pace.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
So is this game actually going to be finished, or has there been any word of huge portions getting gutted like FFXV?

Chris

Potato del Grande
So is this game actually going to be finished, or has there been any word of huge portions getting gutted like FFXV?
FF12, 13, 14 and 15 were all gutted and had their own different development hells. I don't know what happened after FF10 but the company lost it's way.

I think it's a very different company now. FF14 is now a complete Final Fantasy game with some of the best fights, music and characters in the series as well as a lot of respect for what went before. It's saved the series. The new devs are know by the players by name because of the high quality work they were responsible for and it's that team in charge of FF16.

So no, no bad rumours. The press coming out is all positive.

The best sign for me is that they announced the game in 2020 and it's coming out in 2023, which is what happened with the old, good, games. FF15 was announced in 2006 and released in 2016.

• 2Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only great things to come from FF14 is Emet-Selch and the music.

And I've been playing FF14 on and off since ARR was released.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This looks fucking terrible. Combo spamming, QTEs, meaningless combo title spam, numbers everywhere.

• 2Like