Final Fantasy 16

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
sigh, i just want an actual turn based FF again.

The Pixel Remasters are coming out on console in like a month or so. Can get some of those, think they're retailing at $15 each on the e-stores. For straight turn-based, FF1 and FF3 are solid AF. 4-6 use ATB which I don't think is what you're specifically talking about but regardless they'll be a nice return to form. Looking forward to those more than FF16 TBH.

And yeah, Like a Dragon 7 is really good if you want to play something modern.

Fadaar

That guy
The Pixel Remasters are coming out on console in like a month or so. Can get some of those, think they're retailing at $15 each on the e-stores. For straight turn-based, FF1 and FF3 are solid AF. 4-6 use ATB which I don't think is what you're specifically talking about but regardless they'll be a nice return to form. Looking forward to those more than FF16 TBH.

And yeah, Like a Dragon 7 is really good if you want to play something modern.

my fav combat system of all the games was 10, would love another game with that

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
While the rest of the game wasn't as good as X, X-2's combat system was my favorite of the ATB system games.

I agree, FFX-2 is criminally underrated.

Only two strikes I had against it were

1. The Dark Knight class breaks probably the first 95% of the game. I've got a file about halfway through the PS4 version where I lost interest because my characters were all DKs and could all one-shot every random fight. Which sounds fun, but is actually quite boring.

2. I really like fighting FF super-bosses. And FFX-2 had a bunch of super-bosses. Problem is, the last several of them were completely ridiculous. There was a Vio Infinito boss (floor 60 or something) that was basically impossible without sploiting the gun attack + damage max accessory to do like a zillion damage per round. Then the very final super-boss (Trema) took me many tries even WITH the exploit, and every time I had to beat the Nemesis clone right before him again. I don't know how the hell I'm gonna win that fight in the HD version now that they removed the gun combination mega-attack sploit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Eh turn based kinda sucks honestly. It was cool when we were like 10 but it's a bit too boring and basic and offers very little in the way of skill or strategy.
Chained Echoes is a recent turn based game that kept me engaged for 60 hours. There were plenty of fights I died on, had to completely change my strategy to win. Turn based doesn't have to mean using Final Fantasy 1's mechanics.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Chained Echoes is a recent turn based game that kept me engaged for 60 hours. There were plenty of fights I died on, had to completely change my strategy to win. Turn based doesn't have to mean using Final Fantasy 1's mechanics.
I didn't say it offered no strategy but it's pretty minimal. After you do almost any fight once it should be pretty obvious how to beat it whereas in a live action game you not only have to know the correct strategy but have the skill to pull it off. I mean some of my favorite games are Shining Force, FF Tactics, Chrono Trigger etc but it's kinda all just the same shit. I definitely prefer the direction that FF is taking but it would be pretty cool if they offered both play modes but probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Every time one of these comes out I wish I had got into playing them. I own the soundtrack to a few and probably the game (I know I own/ed X and played 14 for quite a while) just can't seem to stick with any of them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Crystal Project
Bravely Default
Bravely Second

Isn't there also a Bravely Default II? So Second is the 2nd game and II is the third game?

I never got into those 3, the weird naming is part of why. Also at least one is stuck in 3DS purgatory.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I didn't say it offered no strategy but it's pretty minimal. After you do almost any fight once it should be pretty obvious how to beat it whereas in a live action game you not only have to know the correct strategy but have the skill to pull it off.

I can agree that simple strategy where you are forced to execute it extremely quickly takes more skill than doing it slowly - Tetris is probably the canonical example - but dismissing anything not real time as having little to no strategy is pretty derpy, given the existence of games like chess.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I can agree that simple strategy where you are forced to execute it extremely quickly takes more skill than doing it slowly - Tetris is probably the canonical example - but dismissing anything not real time as having little to no strategy is pretty derpy, given the existence of games like chess.
Well obviously I was talking in the context of this specific game type as there are like 1/10000000th the variables in a game like this compared to chess lol. Not to mention that there is no RNG in chess whereas there almost always is in games like these which is another reason there is only a superficial level of difficulty.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Isn't there also a Bravely Default II? So Second is the 2nd game and II is the third game?

I never got into those 3, the weird naming is part of why. Also at least one is stuck in 3DS purgatory.
Yeah. Haven’t played them, but remember the naming being weird.

Bravely Default
Bravely Second (Direct continuation of 1st)
Bravely Default II (New story and characters)

So BS was kind of like FFX-2 type of sequel

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Yeah Bravely Default 2 is a completely different cast and story. I don't think it's as good as BD1 or BS, but if you like them then you can give BD2 a try. It lost a couple of the key QOL features that made BD1 and BS so good, also the beginning of the game is brutally difficult because it throws you headfirst into mechanically complex battles when you don't have many jobs/abilities unlocked yet so you can't really handle the mechanical complexity of the fights, but after that it gets better. Definitely play BD1 and BS, though. BD1 is quite good and BS is a masterpiece.

Crystal Project is also really, really good but it has almost no narrative so it really feels more like an FF1 than an FF2-6.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Bravely Default 2 is a completely different cast and story. I don't think it's as good as BD1 or BS, but if you like them then you can give BD2 a try. It lost a couple of the key QOL features that made BD1 and BS so good, also the beginning of the game is brutally difficult because it throws you headfirst into mechanically complex battles when you don't have many jobs/abilities unlocked yet so you can't really handle the mechanical complexity of the fights, but after that it gets better. Definitely play BD1 and BS, though. BD1 is quite good and BS is a masterpiece.

Crystal Project is also really, really good but it has almost no narrative so it really feels more like an FF1 than an FF2-6.

I doubt I'll ever get to those since I have probably 150 games on the list already (and will probably only get to like a third of those). And no 3DS anymore.

If they got an HD collection on Switch or something along those lines, though, I'd at least play the first one for sure.

I'm hoping for several 3DS games to get HD versions on Switch, or at least ported to the shop. Some real classics on there that have just been kinda stuck since Nintendo still considered the 3DS an "active" system.

Baten Kaitos is apparently getting an HD version on Switch some time this year, with Baten Kaitos Origins (BK2 basically) included. Which is pretty cool because I loved BK but never played the sequel. Dunno if I'd get to that either (probably not) but at least it'll be an option. Gamecube era had some great RPGs that I totally missed unfortunately.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really enjoyed Crystal project but late in the game got really tired of the platforming and sometimes when you’d fall a mile and wipe out a bunch of time it just got too much and I gave it up. The classes and battles were really fun though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I always loved using Berserker on everyone and wilding out dropping non stop 9999's and burning through just about everything like a knife through hot butter.

There seem to be several classes in FFX-2 that can totally murder the game.

Problem is, the super-bosses might as well be on a different plane of existence in power, and all those OP game-breaking classes suddenly don't do it anymore. If anyone has any insight on how the hell to beat Trema in FFX-2 Remastered with the nerfs it has, pls let me know. I'll probably try to do it eventually. He was bad enough in the original version with a max-level party sploiting like crazy.

joz123

Potato del Grande
They nerfed the cats eye accessory in ffx-2 and now you pretty much have to use the invulnerability potions or monsters to beat the super bosses.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There seem to be several classes in FFX-2 that can totally murder the game.

Problem is, the super-bosses might as well be on a different plane of existence in power, and all those OP game-breaking classes suddenly don't do it anymore. If anyone has any insight on how the hell to beat Trema in FFX-2 Remastered with the nerfs it has, pls let me know. I'll probably try to do it eventually. He was bad enough in the original version with a max-level party sploiting like crazy.
I seem to recall spamming Mega Elixirs and Mega Phoenix Downs being the key for me, but it’s been awhile. I think I had full stacks of both and still barely made it. Then I think I had everyone in the Mascot dressphere.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Jeeesus.

Yeah, FFX-2's final uberboss is the stupidest fight in the entire FF series. It isn't hard in a traditional sense, it's "fuck you if you don't have 99 Megalixirs" ridiculous.

And it isn't even an interesting foe, it's an old man who gets to attack like 4 times for every one time your party goes.

I've beaten every super-boss in the whole FF series as far as I know, and that one guy was on a completely different, far more tedious, plane. Felt like the game had reached its end and just glitched out to something unwinnable Bishop of Battle style.