Final Fantasy 16

Chris

Potato del Grande
Once you have a few set of powers into the mid-game a decent combo when you stagger an elite/boss is Will o' the Wykes + Lightning Rod. The stagger multiplier increases based on the number of hits during stagger and those abilities spam hits to raise the multiplier up to 1.5x
Yeah I remember in FF7R when we thought that the combat was OK and Tifa was the worst character, then some guy on YouTube found loads of Tifa combos and beat the shit out of bosses with her.

I think there's a lot of hidden stuff in the combat here too. I'll try those combos thanks.

I did find that pressing X+Square to dash to knocked down small enemies allows a cinematic finisher that does loads of damage on another Square press.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I remember in FF7R when we thought that the combat was OK and Tifa was the worst character, then some guy on YouTube found loads of Tifa combos and beat the shit out of bosses with her.

I think there's a lot of hidden stuff in the combat here too. I'll try those combos thanks.

I did find that pressing X+Square to dash to knocked down small enemies allows a cinematic finisher that does loads of damage on another Square press.
You can just press attack to a downed enemy to do the finisher. I like doing that then holding attack while it completes to charge my sword with fire to turn and mail the next person with. Can just chain knocking people down and executing them….makes small enemies extremely easy/fast. I don’t get hit at all during packs of small enemies.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of the critiques (besides the “story too white” ones) are valid, the game is still good though. Rpg elements might as well not even exist, it’s basically 100% an action game. The side quests are mostly retarded and pointless. There’s almost no reason to explore, at best you get rewarded crafting material which is useless.
This comment here is what I'm talking about as making no sense, and most likely coming from a FF fan that considers one or more of the previous games to be their favorite. There are reasons to explore, if you don't ..well it sucks to be you. There are rpg elements which get more varied the longer you play. The side quests are pretty lame at the start, but they have been getting better. I want to say that people who say this haven't played the game much, which is fine since the game hasn't clicked with them yet.

Also, the only FF game I've ever played for more than an hour is FF14 as I dislike party / turn based games. I had thought about playing FF15, but the characters didn't seem interesting and the MC looked like he was wearing shoes about 5 sizes too large, it was comical. I did watch a playthrough of 7r and thought it was alright... but it was party based, so no. I might try out Rebirth, as I could probably get around my dislike of party based combat since Tifa looks great.

Anyway, not trying to criticize what people like / dislike, it just seems like some of the negatives that people have are coming after only a little time with the game.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can just press attack to a downed enemy to do the finisher. I like doing that then holding attack while it completes to charge my sword with fire to turn and mail the next person with. Can just chain knocking people down and executing them….makes small enemies extremely easy/fast. I don’t get hit at all during packs of small enemies.
Yeah I figured that but using the range closer really helps get there in time.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Also, the only FF game I've ever played for more than an hour is FF14

Anyway, not trying to criticize what people like / dislike, it just seems like some of the negatives that people have are coming after only a little time with the game.
This is why you are not understanding where people are coming from and won’t. You’re doing the opposite, loving the game with little time in the franchise.

The old games have a lot of different systems that people love about the series. Slotting magic into gear, parties, classes/jobs, open world maps, treasure chests off the beaten path with good loot/upgrades, large maps.

People are just yearning for a return to that in a modern engine is all.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The old games have a lot of different systems that people love about the series. Slotting magic into gear, parties, classes/jobs, open world maps, treasure chests off the beaten path with good loot/upgrades, large maps.

People are just yearning for a return to that in a modern engine is all.
Upgrading and choosing your Eikon abilities is that system. Seems like there'll be 7-8 Eikon boards to choose from and you can have 3-4 at any one time. I only have 3 so not sure about the totals.

It's not like most games in the series have something more complex. FF5, 7, 8, 10 do - that's 4 games.

Also people are mentioning gear when only one FF game has complex gearing - FF10. It's usually like this, people forgot what FF8 had for gear lmao?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This comment here is what I'm talking about as making no sense, and most likely coming from a FF fan that considers one or more of the previous games to be their favorite. There are reasons to explore, if you don't ..well it sucks to be you. There are rpg elements which get more varied the longer you play. The side quests are pretty lame at the start, but they have been getting better. I want to say that people who say this haven't played the game much, which is fine since the game hasn't clicked with them yet.
There aren’t rewards for exploring beyond garbage crafting material and the occasional trinket.

I’ve done probably 20 side quests, and no shit nearly a quarter have been delivering food. They have to get better, because they can’t get worse.

If the RPG elements are still Eikon abilities, then no that’s not more varied. That’s just standard for any hack and slash like DMC. I actually like the combat so far, but the rpg element isn’t there. Levels seem superfluous, you seem to level naturally at a pace to keep up with enemies and the stat increases are basically +2 across the board.

For reference, where I’m at in the story is
Just after the 5 year time skip, with powers for Phoenix, Ifrit, Garuda, and Ramuh

Still, it’s a fun game so far but that doesn’t make anything above less true. Mario Kart is a fun game, but that doesn’t make it a good RPG. FFXVI is by far the biggest departure from the final fantasy RPG roots we’ve seen.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
close to end I think, story gets better and weirder and some of these boss sequences are SSS tier. Great game, though I say that as somebody who enjoys story driven heavy cutscene games, combat gets really great with later Eikons unlocked

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
close to end I think, story gets better and weirder and some of these boss sequences are SSS tier. Great game, though I say that as somebody who enjoys story driven heavy cutscene games, combat gets really great with later Eikons unlocked
Curious how long the game is, what’s your play time?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I’m at 55 hours. I do all the “plus side quests“ and a bit of normal side quests as well as all the hunts.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Game plays really smooth on Graphics, which I hated at first and couldn't play at all in the Demo, but now is great.

To everyone else, especially those with fond memories of previous FF games, where are you at in this game? I haven't read a single complaint from any of you that makes much sense. I just got my 3rd Eikon, and its so good. I'm even seeing some nifty accessories now. I'll just chalk it up to FF fans being weird. =)
I'm a little bit short of that point (I think). Been spending as much time trying to fix my new monitor that I'm playing it on as actually playing the game, unfortunately.

I like the combat a lot, but 3 of my top 5 FFs are XII, XIII-2/3, and X-2 (other two being V and IX) so I'm not exactly what you'd call a series purist. Hell even XV would be up there on my list if it weren't for the utterly retarded magic system in that game. My only real complaint is how 'busy' it gets as you get more and more abilities (mostly based on the demo, since I don't actually have titan yet in the full game). Even with back buttons on my controller I find it gets so spammy that I make mistakes while trying to DDR my way through a boss fight.

What I really don't like about the game is the lack of rewards for exploration. I'm so fucking sick of running down some dead end passage on the map expecting to find something useful only to find a sparkly loot thing with 2 gil. Even when there's a chest, 9 times out of 10 it's a handful of crafting materials I already have a hundred of. But on very rare occasions there's a sword or armor piece, so like an idiot I keep checking every side passage on every map.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think the go to motto here is just do the side quests and no need to explore because the rewards suck and it's pointless.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm about halfway in, and loving it so far.

The story is great, much darker than I ever expected and the characters are good so far. I think Clive has a nice story arc so far. The villains are pretty interesting too, a lot are truly despicable. It has a nice pacing too, and still has some mysteries that makes me wonder where they going with it exactly.

The combat is pretty good at this point, having 3 Eikons to play with and having Limit Break. As mentioned the fights are too long, but it's not honestly a huge deal for me as the fight are so epic for the most part and the payoff feels so rewarding story wise.

It's disappointing as far as RPG elements go, the gear system is pretty simply and too straightforward, no choices for the main 3 items, you just progress to the next best one. There's a bit more choice with the rings though but it's not a huge factor. The biggest RPG aspect comes from the Eikons and skill selection. The system itself is pretty good though.

There's some exploration, but sadly nothing meaningful to find and that kinda sucks, the world isn't that big and the exploration a bit limited...but I could live with it if we actually got decent reward for it.

Overall, I consider this to be an awesome game. The good VASTLY outshines the bad.

Some of the fights are so fucking cool, they are worth the price of admission alone.

I hope the second half is just as good.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
If the gameplay really is that boring and the story is the only thing holding this together, I may just wait for the 5+ hour YouTube mash up of cut scenes and skip the $60 price tag.

Someone made one a few days ago and it's really well edited. They even do some of the side conversations. The game is already basically a movie with fights. It's a little over 20 hours long.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
When you all talk about the fights being long, is it just the big epic "boss" battles or is the standard trash farming long too? Is there even such a thing as trash farming?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When you all talk about the fights being long, is it just the big epic "boss" battles or is the standard trash farming long too? Is there even such a thing as trash farming?
The boss and minibosses are pretty long. Trash without stagger bars the fights are like 30 seconds if that. Trash with staggers bars are longer fights but only a couple minutes maybe.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm about halfway in, and loving it so far.

The story is great, much darker than I ever expected and the characters are good so far. I think Clive has a nice story arc so far. The villains are pretty interesting too, a lot are truly despicable. It has a nice pacing too, and still has some mysteries that makes me wonder where they going with it exactly.

The combat is pretty good at this point, having 3 Eikons to play with and having Limit Break. As mentioned the fights are too long, but it's not honestly a huge deal for me as the fight are so epic for the most part and the payoff feels so rewarding story wise.

It's disappointing as far as RPG elements go, the gear system is pretty simply and too straightforward, no choices for the main 3 items, you just progress to the next best one. There's a bit more choice with the rings though but it's not a huge factor. The biggest RPG aspect comes from the Eikons and skill selection. The system itself is pretty good though.

There's some exploration, but sadly nothing meaningful to find and that kinda sucks, the world isn't that big and the exploration a bit limited...but I could live with it if we actually got decent reward for it.

Overall, I consider this to be an awesome game. The good VASTLY outshines the bad.

Some of the fights are so fucking cool, they are worth the price of admission alone.

I hope the second half is just as good.
Its better

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
So many northern English accents, thank you Game of Thrones. It's like being back home, I have to live in fucking Birmingham now and nobody is voice acting the shit accent here.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's likely not a requirement to do trash beyond what you want to or at least collecting chests behind some of them. In fact I get the impression that some chests are strategically placed for speedrunners that have the knowledge of which reward actual gear + lots of mats.

The eikon fights do seem to be stylized and trying to outdo the previous ones each time. Absolutely stunning visuals and spectacle plus i would argue the stagger mechanic makes more sense for the eikon combat than the traditional battling.