Final Fantasy VII Remake

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah just finished the main story up at 60 hours and felt like I rushed through it. Still have Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine to go :)

That seems about right, I did a very fast run, but after that I realised how good the content was and did a slower one with more exploration.

That baron quest really was something. Best quest I've ever seen.

Killing sewer rats is not quite up there.

TW:3 also is a lot more replayable compared to FF7, because it has the player make important calls which affect the story. Also there are several chicks to shag.

tl;dr: what was one of the greatest games ever made seems to have been turned into something that doesn't even remotely match up to a 5 year old game but will cost 3-4 times as much.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I dunno. Played the demo and liked it Enough to buy this.

I won't really have egg on my face though. For a lot of people no matter what they put out wouldn't be good enougb

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That seems about right, I did a very fast run, but after that I realised how good the content was and did a slower one with more exploration.

That baron quest really was something. Best quest I've ever seen.

Killing sewer rats is not quite up there.

The amount of well crafted content in Witcher 3 is absolutely mind blowing. I was on the way to a main quest piece when I accidentally ran into some random quest out of no where (I consider myself lucky to even find it) and got side tracked for 2 hours with an entirely well written and fantastic side quest.

Now THAT'S content if we need to define it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

I won't really have egg on my face though. For a lot of people no matter what they put out wouldn't be good enougb

Nah, at least you know what you are getting into. And you also aren't an idiot. So have fun with it man.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

I know I can't convince you to not buy it, but its really sad to see this amount of content, released after this much time, at this price point.

Hopefully enough people skip it at full price to make them aware of it.

Perhaps to some players the game has more content then an average game, because they are hardcore and min-max everything. Even if that is the case, its still a poor remake of the original, which had an incredible amount of content. I think it was 5 discs on PS? Biggest box I had anyway.

I'll watch the cinematics online until I can pick this up for 20$

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know I can't convince you to not buy it, but its really sad to see this amount of content, released after this much time, at this price point.

Hopefully enough people skip it at full price to make them aware of it.

Perhaps to some players the game has more content then an average game, because they are hardcore and min-max everything. Even if that is the case, its still a poor remake of the original, which had an incredible amount of content. I think it was 5 discs on PS? Biggest box I had anyway.

I'll watch the cinematics online until I can pick this up for 20$
It's fair for sure. I haven't been happy with a final fantasy since 10, and 12 is good but it was a departure. I thought 15 was one of the worst games I've ever played. But I've gotta do it

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Mmm man I should play through Lunar 1 & 2 again. And Lufia 2

Lufia 2 is so good. Probably my favorite 16-bit RPG that isn't from Square. I wish we'd gotten more info on who Arek was though. They introduce this Big Bad who's higher-ranked than the villain of the game, but you never see him again. Maybe they were planning to do more with him in the sequels, but...yeah, that didn't happen.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm dumb because I don't immediatly believe random worst case scenario internet rumours?

Yeah there's a chance it's like that, what do you expect from me though? I don't know one way or the other, I'm just repeating stuff I'm heard just like you are.

I'll report back in detail when I start playing it tomorrow. I'm no fanboy, I've only ever asked for verification. I didn't buy FF13-2, FF13-3 or FF15 because of how Khorum FF13 was.

FF13-2 is quite good IMO. It has amazing visuals and music, especially considering it's on PS3. World's more open than 13-1 and the system of having monsters for your third character is reminiscent of Lufia 2.

13-3 is very much a "your mileage may vary". If you liked Majora's Mask and want to play a modern high-res variant on the idea where you control a chick and get to dress her up in various class-change costumes ala X-2, it's a good time.

15 is one of the prettiest games I've ever played but it's incomplete as hell. It's good for people who like open world games where you spend dozens of hours doing quests that have nothing to do with the main story. It's one of those games that's like 1/3rd as long if you don't do any side content.

It's worth checking out all three when you've got nothing else going on. 13-2 is the best FF of the 2010's by a mile, but again that's IMO.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sure thing: Top of page 88 and back at 87.

This last one made me lol
Thanks, there's a bunch of people praising it too though.

Demo earned my money, I'll judge for myself. You can find salty autists to flame anything online, especially somewhere like SA.

Talking to the 3 tutorial NPCs in Sector 7 being turned into killing tutorial rats isn't really an indicator of quality for the whole game. The entire start of Baldur's Gate is like that, as is FF12.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Demo earned my money, I'll judge for myself. You can find salty autists to flame anything online, especially somewhere like SA.

Talking to the 3 tutorial NPCs in Sector 7 being turned into killing tutorial rats isn't really an indicator of quality for the whole game. The entire start of Baldur's Gate is like that, as is FF12.

1585850843859.png

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Baldur's Gate has over 100 hours of gameplay after the tutorial rats though... which is the problem in this remake.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Baldur's Gate has over 100 hours of gameplay after the tutorial rats though... which is the problem in this remake.
Yeah but how much of it is filler fetch quests and ankheg asses, it's only 1/3rd of the Baalspawn Saga too ;)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but how much of it is filler fetch quests and ankheg asses, it's only 1/3rd of the Baalspawn Saga too ;)

Funny, when I bought that game I remember not having to buy it in four fucking parts at full price and not having to worry about 75% of the game being padded to increase an arbitrary game length to cover up an unethical business model.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Lunar Silver Star Story is one of the best rpgs I ever played

It is, imo, one of /the/ best.

It's LOTR like imo- as it comes to RPGs (esp JRPGs)- in this regard. It may seem to be a complete "generic fantasy" and "tropes on tropes" - but so is LOTR aside from the fact "it invented it!" And LOTR did- but Lunar took a very classic high fantasy, anime infused story - game and environment and produced something near perfect. So sure all your characters and world and bad guy and quest are "tropes" they are just done SO DAMN WELL it does not matter!

They add in the element of music, and it's perfectly blended and perfectly balanced into the world it's natural and wonderful. They give you a world with some history and uniqueness beyond the standard high fantasy, but not so much it becomes distant. This was my issue with 2...but I got over it and quickly started to enjoy it in its own right.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Still another week for digital I guess. Was hoping they'd release it early, too, but if there's a Day 1 patch for some bug fixes I doubt it they'll just wait until then.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
FF7 and the original Lunar RPG for Sega CD were my all time favourites. I dumped a ton of time in FF7, even using morph to farm for permanent +1 stat items somewhere underwater until everyone was maxxed. So much to do!

How will future chapters work, will it use whatever your current level/gear is from this game hopefully?
Is the sega Cd version any different than silver star story complete version? I played through SSSC like 5 times fantastic game. It’s on iOS now and is easy to play on a touch screen, but originally played it on playstation. Lunar 2 was good but nowhere near as good as the first

• 1Like