Final Fantasy VII Remake

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
My 1st class edition epic waste of money that I'm simply going to store for collecting shipped.

I'll buy it digitally when it releases on PC.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is the sega Cd version any different than silver star story complete version? I played through SSSC like 5 times fantastic game. It’s on iOS now and is easy to play on a touch screen, but originally played it on playstation. Lunar 2 was good but nowhere near as good as the first

Took me like 5 minutes to find ePSXe and an ISO of SSC when this conversation started. Figured if I'm quarantined for the next month may as well play through it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lufia 2 is so good. Probably my favorite 16-bit RPG that isn't from Square. I wish we'd gotten more info on who Arek was though. They introduce this Big Bad who's higher-ranked than the villain of the game, but you never see him again. Maybe they were planning to do more with him in the sequels, but...yeah, that didn't happen.

Lufia 1 & 2 were great. They took the series to handhelds after the SNES era and it died there. I never played them; I didn't have any handhelds growing up but apparently there were one or two sequels on Game Boy or something.

I just googled it and apparently they tried a Lufia 2 remake as a action RPG on the DS and while it reviewed well it apparently did not sell at all.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I don't ever play my PS4, but played the demo for this and really liked it. I ended up preordering it. I would've liked a hard copy, but good luck finding one of those on the 10th with coronachan. FF7 was a staple game when I was growing up. I played the hell outta that game, more than any other game I can really remember as a child. And that one always stuck with me. I was disappointed in the chapters thing when they announced it originally, but I assume if this game is 100gb, then to make the full game as a remake would have just been way too much. Even if it's only 20 hours (Many are saying 40+) it would still be worth $60 to me. I have played a lot of great 20 hours games. Hell, one of my favorite PS games was TLoU, and that was about 20 hours. In fact most games I like tend to be shorter. I hate open-world games like Skyrim that take 100's of hours to complete. I end up getting bored and just stop playing them. And I don't judge my purchases by how many hours long it is, as long as it's not like 5 hours. But for me I enjoyed the demo enough to justify the purchase. $60 is no biggy really. I waste more on a lot of stupid shit. And I don't game or care enough to worry about boycotts. If it's a game that I know I will enjoy, I will just buy it. Besides, I've been collecting bear asses since EQ in the 90's. I'm not above doing it still!

• 3Like
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've... just seen a few things that should not be in this game... this game got spoilers so I suggest people stay spoiler free from this point.

I was careless with spoilers because 23 year old game, but things may be getting a bit Kingdom Hearts. Will be incredible if they pull it off.

That includes the final trailer, do not watch it.

Fadaar

That guy
I've... just seen a few things that should not be in this game... this game got spoilers so I suggest people stay spoiler free from this point.

I was careless with spoilers because 23 year old game, but things may be getting a bit Kingdom Hearts. Will be incredible if they pull it off.

That includes the final trailer, do not watch it.

Square must be fucking retarded

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just got it at 9:30am, I got an entire day of it. I'll report back later :)

Am I the first one here to get it? Australia had it 2 days ago and France/Belgium yesterday.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Perhaps to some players the game has more content then an average game, because they are hardcore and min-max everything. Even if that is the case, its still a poor remake of the original, which had an incredible amount of content. I think it was 5 discs on PS? Biggest box I had anyway.

I'll watch the cinematics online until I can pick this up for 20$
ff's never went to 5
ff7 are 3
ff8/9 are 4

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I woke up yesterday with with a low grade fever and really minor symptoms. Doctor at work out me off for 7 days, even though I generally feel just fine. Really wish they’d just unlock the digital copies early.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just got it at 9:30am, I got an entire day of it. I'll report back later :)

Am I the first one here to get it? Australia had it 2 days ago and France/Belgium yesterday.

Here we go folks get ready for a completely unbiased review!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Chris may have Covid :(

I better look.

.... Please hold....

Yeah they aren't doing too bad over there. I am not sure if we would be able to get away with saying Chris has Covid-19. They are kind of flattening that curve already - probably all playing FF7 Remake and wishing they had Covid instead...

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Here we go folks get ready for a completely unbiased review!

I should have gotten it early (I called stores here, I think they have it, but won't break street date). "Killing street rats is glorious! 10/10".

I've said it before, but my bias for this game is so big I will most likely not care much at all about issues that might have been bigger issues with any other title. I played Chrono Trigger on an emulator after looking up "best snes games". Just after having finished CT as my first ever real JRPG, never having played a Final Fantasy game before, I was at a store and FF 7 was just released. I bought it for the SquareSoft logo. Leaving Midgard and seeing the open world. Sepiroth and Aerith. The music. FF 7 made JRPGs my favourite genre and still is to this day. It was directly responsible for me ordering EQ when it launched as it was the "biggest RPG ever made" or somesuch in a preview in PC gamer I believe it was. Which is the reason I found this forum in 2002 I think it was after the Furor time rant. For me FF 7 has a nostalgia overload no other singleplayer game comes remotely close to.

If I end up enjoying it blinded by nostalgia despite whatever shortcomings it has, then I really don't care about anything else. Sucks for people who only see the problems and won't be able to enjoy it for that, but that is not my problem. Still have not pre-ordered it though, waiting for reviews on the 6th. But unless it is a barrage of 2-3/10s because the game is outright broken, I'll end up pre-ordering it.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't even doubt the game is tolerable. Maybe even cool and hits those nostalgia notes something fierce.

Nonetheless I will under no circumstances pay $60 a slice for a 25 year old fucking game. If I feel like playing it I can just play the original in all its glory and completeness again.

Square can call me when the ENTIRE remake is packaged TOGETHER at $60 and I'll buy it at that price.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Just read the spoilers... Square Enix is fucking retarded. Can read the spoilers in the comments here.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If I end up enjoying it blinded by nostalgia despite whatever shortcomings it has, then I really don't care about anything else. Sucks for people who only see the problems and won't be able to enjoy it for that, but that is not my problem. Still have not pre-ordered it though, waiting for reviews on the 6th. But unless it is a barrage of 2-3/10s because the game is outright broken, I'll end up pre-ordering it.

To which I would agree with you on ANY other business model/game except this. Why? 1) 25% of a game for full price stretched out to take advantage of your nostalgia banking on selling 3 more parts minimum at full price to get the full game. 2) They didn't give two shits about it when they pawned it off to a 3rd party dev and are now trying to pull the wool over people's eyes to add insult to injury with purposely obtuse information and back door padding to save face when their 3rd party development pawn off hit the skids.

If this was a full remake that went through development hell (And let's be real - Square enix didn't give a fuck, and that is obvious when you take one of your most valued games in an IP and pawn the bitch off to some second rate loan shark) I wouldn't even be bitching about it. Hell, I would probably buy it too given the void of new shit to play right now.

But that isn't the case. And in fact, they even doubled down on going full retard by padding the game to artificially increase game time spent to accompany their horseshit business ethics! And then forced everyone to do that bullshit padding just so press and players can point to an arbitrary number and say, "See? WAY MORE THAN 13 hours!" And if this is the mantra for the other parts? Christ. Take 42 hours of main story content and split it into 4 parts and then hide behind the "full game in each episode" shit when all they did was take 42 and split that into 4 and add in 75% of bullshit mass produced fetch/kill quests and then force you to do them on top of it?

Come on.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Honestly? I don't even have a problem with them changing the story up at this point. The game is already so much different that it's really not a remake anymore anyways. As long as they keep the main story at least notionally on track with the original, whatever. At least Ut can stop complaining about it being 1/3rd of the original game now since it's not even the same story (who am I kidding, we know that won't stop).

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Honestly? I don't even have a problem with them changing the story up at this point. The game is already so much different that it's really not a remake anymore anyways. As long as they keep the main story at least notionally on track with the original, whatever. At least Ut can stop complaining about it being 1/3rd of the original game now since it's not even the same story (who am I kidding, we know that won't stop).

Like that fucking matters? Are you that deft?

1585928579792.png

This isn't Final Fantasy 16, with a full game, and then DLC or a sequel. It's a fucking remake. Quit comparing apples to oranges I do not care if they rewrite the entire fucking thing (Which they aren't) it's a FUCKING REMAKE SPLIT INTO 4 FULL RETAIL PACKAGES TO FUCK YOU OVER. And worse, if the business model works, the entire industry will pick this nonsense up and start doing it in ALL THEIR NEW GAMES.

You want that? THINK.

Last edited:
  • 1Like