Final Fantasy VII Remake

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, I realized how important/better magic was vs physical about 3/4ths of the way through the game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Having a hard time at the second bombing run (ch6/7?). Jumped off the train and was having a real bad time killing 2 flamethrower guys and the missile launchers. Then when the boss came I won with like 100hp left on Cloud and everyone dead and all out of Phoenix Downs. I had not upgraded the weapons fully before the fight but it felt kinda rough dealing with an early game boss. Any tips on making the battles go better early game?

Can always turn it down to Easy. I ended up doing that in whatever chapter the sewer is (13 maybe) after the mega-rat beat me a few times. If you're going for the plat, the second playthrough is gonna be on Hard either way, but by then you know what you're doing and have all the materia/levels/skills. No real shame in turning it down midway through the first run to do the story.

If not, just put different elements on everybody and switch characters a lot. Robots fear electricity and Barret is good against gun pods.

I've seen a few people have issues with the battles in this game and incidentally it's the same people who had issues with the battles in FF13. If the fights are dragging on and taking too long / sapping all your resources, well, they aren't supposed to be like that. The stagger meter is the key to victory and what people should be focusing on, not playing these like normal traditional FFs where damage is the only focus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Can always turn it down to Easy. I ended up doing that in whatever chapter the sewer is (13 maybe) after the mega-rat beat me a few times. If you're going for the plat, the second playthrough is gonna be on Hard either way, but by then you know what you're doing and have all the materia/levels/skills. No real shame in turning it down midway through the first run to do the story.

If not, just put different elements on everybody and switch characters a lot. Robots fear electricity and Barret is good against gun pods.

I've seen a few people have issues with the battles in this game and incidentally it's the same people who had issues with the battles in FF13. If the fights are dragging on and taking too long / sapping all your resources, well, they aren't supposed to be like that. The stagger meter is the key to victory and what people should be focusing on, not playing these like normal traditional FFs where damage is the only focus.
Care Bears Cartoon GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eh I dont measure the enjoyment of a game with hard difficulty. If it's too hard I put it on easy, I'm too old to try hard shit for some bragging rights.

I did put it on easy for a bit yesterday and it kinda felt way too easy instead. But I'll just continue on and enjoy the story in easy mode.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Eh I dont measure the enjoyment of a game with hard difficulty. If it's too hard I put it on easy, I'm too old to try hard shit for some bragging rights.

I did put it on easy for a bit yesterday and it kinda felt way too easy instead. But I'll just continue on and enjoy the story in easy mode.

Yeah I don't care about bragging rights (to the air because nobody cares what difficulty I'm playing on except me), I'm too old for that shit. If a game only has one hard difficulty, like a From game, I play it as intended and I usually have a lot more fun than if it were easy. However with games that have difficulty modes: if the game is taxing my patience, or I want to get to the end and be done, or I'm mostly interested in the story... then I have no issue turning the difficulty down and sparing myself from having to deal with it. FF7R isn't good enough to give yourself a stroke over (Elden Ring is however).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Max has done two spoiler casts recently, one with Easy Allies and just talked about it on Dropped Frames now. Kind of interesting.

- FF7 Remake, while it can be argued that it was a bad idea to call it that from a marketing standpoint since "remake" is an industry term, isn't a remake but a sequel.

- The names are all tied to Sephiroth. His Remake, his Rebirth, his .....

- This version/games is part of the Final Fantasy anthology, where the games feature a combined story from FF7, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children and a mobile game Before Crisis. This story and plans have been in the works since 2005ish, but they weren't able to do it before now (finances and such). Crisis Core Reunion will also tie directly into this. As Max mentions, playing Crisis Core gives a major spoiler to act 3 events in FF7, so there has to be a reason why they are putting out Crisis Core (labled Reunion) before Rebirth. They're planning something. They would know that people who are now getting into the FF7 story are getting major spoilers for the later parts of the story by playing Crisis Core, a game Square obviously want them to play, so there has to a reason for it. Not just done to "milk the cow" so to speak.

So in other words, they're not doing this randomly. Its been planned for a long time. Though Max knows that it causes confusion, and the Remake title made purists go "reeeeeee" at the ending of FF7 Remake, but once he figured out what it actually was, he thinks it is brilliant and more exciting than just a 1:1 remake.

He is still sure that Aerith will die though, but I am not so sure. This due to the anthology and the short stories leading up to Advent Children, which are canon to the lore, specifically state that Sephiroth can be endlessly be reborn as long as Cloud is there.

My theory

- Zack lives now in the separate timeline due to the breaking of fate in FF7 remake.
- Party, or at least Cloud, will become aware at some point of the plot points made in the short stories.
- Cloud will sacrifice himself for Aerith.
- "Things" happen (Sephiroth might do something to try to change things) and timelines will merge. Cloud still dead, but Zack will be pulled into this timeline and replace Cloud in the party.
- As the devs have repeatedly stated, the original ending of FF7 was a "bad" ending. The new ending will most likely be with Zack and Aerith together.
- Everything else in the next games will be the same as the original only expanded on. We will see all and do all things we expect from the original.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Max has done two spoiler casts recently, one with Easy Allies and just talked about it on Dropped Frames now. Kind of interesting.

- FF7 Remake, while it can be argued that it was a bad idea to call it that from a marketing standpoint since "remake" is an industry term, isn't a remake but a sequel.

- This version/games is part of the Final Fantasy anthology, where the games feature a combined story from FF7, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children and a mobile game Before Crisis. This story and plans have been in the works since 2005ish, but they weren't able to do it before now (finances and such). Crisis Core Reunion will also tie directly into this. As Max mentions, playing Crisis Core gives a major spoiler to act 3 events in FF7, so there has to be a reason why they are putting out Crisis Core (labled Reunion) before Rebirth. They're planning something. They would know that people who are now getting into the FF7 story are getting major spoilers for the later parts of the story by playing Crisis Core, a game Square obviously want them to play, so there has to a reason for it. Not just done to "milk the cow" so to speak.

So in other words, they're not doing this randomly. Its been planned for a long time. Though Max knows that it causes confusion, and the Remake title made purists go "reeeeeee" at the ending of FF7 Remake, but once he figured out what it actually was, he thinks it is brilliant and more exciting than just a 1:1 remake.

He is still sure that Aerith will die though, but I am not so sure. This due to the anthology and the short stories leading up to Advent Children, which are canon to the lore, specifically state that Sephiroth can be endlessly be reborn as long as Cloud is there.

My theory

- Zack lives now in the separate timeline due to the breaking of fate in FF7 remake.
- Party, or at least Cloud, will become aware at some point of the plot points made in the short stories.
- "Things" happen (Sephiroth might do something to try to change things) and timelines will merge. Cloud still dead, but Zack will be pulled into this timeline and replace Cloud in the party.
- As the devs have repeatedly stated, the original ending of FF7 was a "bad" ending. The new ending will most likely be with Zack and Aerith together.
- Everything else in the next games will be the same as the original only expanded on. We will see all and do all things we expect from the original.
It's going to be really simple imo.

1) Zack is going to be living proof of Cloud's delusion at Northern Crater, instead of Tifa confirming it. Tifa will be much more ambiguous and assume that her injuries fucked up her memories.

2) The "Sephrioth" we follow will be Zack, not JENOVA. So just integrating Zack more into the main story.

3) Aerith's death is likely going to be moved to another point in the game to fake us out, to wherever the end of Part 2 is probably.

Merrith

The reeeee over "Remake" is amusing, they literally gave interviews back in 2015 stating it wasn't going to be a 1:1 redo, and specifically that they were trying to make a "better game" than the original. But there will always be some that just assume things and don't read anything related to something, even with a 5 year buildup.

I agree moving Aerith's death to try and make the player believe they can save her makes sense, but I still somewhat agree with Max that it still has to happen in a way.

The idea of the Sephiroth we follow being Zack is weird, b/c it doesn't really make much sense unless that's Sephiroth controlling Zack somehow through Jenova cells.

Max's idea that Part 2 will end at Whirlwind Maze as they give Black Materia to Seph makes a lot of sense, but that's an absolute shitload of content to have to be included in Rebirth. Agree with him it only makes sense to visit all the same old places as they've noted despite there being differences, it'll still mostly be the same FF7 story you know (which I assume means you'll hit all the key points of interest, towns/etc still).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

My theory

I figured Part 3 would be called Reunion, and be a reunion of this timeline with the original one. Or maybe a reunion between Zack and Aerith after Aerith is saved from the death she suffered in Part 2. Maybe it'll be a Chrono Trigger thing where they climb a mountain and use a Time Egg, I don't know.

However, now that Crisis Core's remake is called Crisis Core: Reunion, I don't know what the third one'll be called.

Also I've been predicting from the get-go that Cloud will die this time instead of Aerith, thus stopping Sephiroth from returning AND saving Aerith. Which is why Zack now exists again, so Aerith can be reunited with him after she doesn't die. Kinda sucks, I was hoping she'd hook up with Tifa.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
The idea of the Sephiroth we follow being Zack is weird, b/c it doesn't really make much sense unless that's Sephiroth controlling Zack somehow through Jenova cells.
Uh... yeah? They already showed Sephiroth doing this.

Cybsled

Poor Tifa

1) Cloud simps for Aeris in the regular timeline, even after she is dead
2) Cloud potentially dies in the new timeline

Anyways, I do agree they will probably pull a "Glenn hid under the dumpster" with Aeris at the point from the original game when she gets shanked

Chris

Potato del Grande
The chances of the iconic main character dying during the game is 0%. Come on.

If this happens it'll be in the ending.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Poor Tifa

1) Cloud simps for Aeris in the regular timeline, even after she is dead
2) Cloud potentially dies in the new timeline

3) Aerith isn't gonna be available anymore cause Zack

Seriously though check out how they look at each other in FF7 Remake. They have way more chemistry than either of them does with Cloud.

Merrith

Uh... yeah? They already showed Sephiroth doing this.

Not Zack, at least not so far in the Remake. Would make more sense for there to be 2 Sephiroths, the one from the current time, and the post Advent Children one that has clearly traveled back to now. Either that or have Cloud and party chasing Seph while Zack and whatever party he forms up would be chasing Genesis, perhaps.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not Zack, at least not so far in the Remake. Would make more sense for there to be 2 Sephiroths, the one from the current time, and the post Advent Children one that has clearly traveled back to now. Either that or have Cloud and party chasing Seph while Zack and whatever party he forms up would be chasing Genesis, perhaps.

Oh yeah, forgot about Genesis for a bit. His likely appearance in the FF7R series is something to look forward to. Crisis Core built him up as being the one SOLDIER who was on Sephiroth's level. Then Dirge of Cerberus (taking place after FF7) teased Genesis still being around and about to return and cause mayhem. They never followed up on it. I speculated at the time (2006 or so) that Genesis would be the villain if we ever got an FF7-2.

In any case, it'll be really cool if we get Genesis in FF7R-3, maybe even as the new final boss or something once Sephiroth is dealt with. But I don't know, it's just as likely that they've forgotten about him.

Fadaar

That guy
Oh yeah, forgot about Genesis for a bit. His likely appearance in the FF7R series is something to look forward to. Crisis Core built him up as being the one SOLDIER who was on Sephiroth's level. Then Dirge of Cerberus (taking place after FF7) teased Genesis still being around and about to return and cause mayhem. They never followed up on it. I speculated at the time (2006 or so) that Genesis would be the villain if we ever got an FF7-2.

In any case, it'll be really cool if we get Genesis in FF7R-3, maybe even as the new final boss or something once Sephiroth is dealt with. But I don't know, it's just as likely that they've forgotten about him.

... nah. These dudes don't forget stuff like that.

Malakriss

The issue has always been Gackt and the corner they put themselves in by using a musician for the voice / likeness and the inevitable copyright permissions nightmare that comes with it. That's why we never got a remaster or a followup but now SE likely has thrown a bunch of money his way and he's even dressing up as Genesis on instagram videos.

Malakriss

Of course, the quality of the graphics is a factor, but there’s also the speed of access to the SSD. As those who have played the original version can imagine, the story will take place in a vast world after escaping from Midgar. FFVII Rebirth” will also depict the world that spreads out from this point onward, so loading stress will be a major bottleneck in this regard. In order to clear this problem and play the world comfortably, I felt that PS5 specs were necessary.

Last edited: