Final Fantasy VII Remake

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty sure a decent amount of people liked FF9.

I dunno. Its always seemed to have a fan base that spoke well of it. Its not my favorite but its not terrible.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Yeah. No freaking clue where Necron came from. But the rest of the game was really well done in my opinion.

But it always seems to get bad press and a lot of people overlook it. I don't think it did as well as other games in the series.

I remember it coming out during Everquest's prime. I bought IX but it sat on my shelf for a long time until they released Shadows of Luclin. EQ, literally, would not run on my computer for like two or three months after SOL launched so I used that time to catch up on other games including FF IX.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't even remember if I ever beat IX or not. I know I got towards the end, maybe, at least. Might buy it just to beat it.

I've been trying to work through unbeaten FF games - did 13-2, now 10, stll need to do 9, 10-2, 12, 13-3

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm a big fan of IX, probably in my top 3. I liked all the side shit you could do (a lot more than all of the side shit in X) but yea the card game was really fucking bad.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Chrono Cross is a pile of shit. I absolutely hated that they had a cast of 18,000 people you could use

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly, a -lot- of hate for FF9 stems from the character design. The main character is a monkey-tailed 80's glam rock star, there's a big knight with gratuitous eyeliner, and your dragoon is a rat. Also, Kuja looked pretty fruity for most of the game.

All that said, I loved that it has been the last character-defined-class game (IZJS 12 not included) since like... 4? 6 to a degree as well, even though most special abilities go to the wayside once you get certain relics and spells from espers. And personally I really liked the fact that it was basically a love letter to the pre-PS1 games, with Vivi being the most obvious. I liked the equipment based skill learning stuff too. And the fact you actually had equipment slots for shit, unlike 7 and 8.

Necron was... well, Necron. Basically the anti-crystal in the game, but yeah he's not even really mentioned until you are just about to fight him. And admittedly, I beat him by accident because Zidane was my primary attacker guy with mp-attack and some other crap. Well, apparently, when berserked he does retarded amounts of damage, and with auto-haste he literally just straight rapes. Everyone in my party died but Zidane, who got hit with berserk right before, and Zidane proceeded to solo Necron. Definitely not my favorite end-boss to a FF game, and he wasn't even extra content.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
FF6 characters are far from homogenous. Even outside of some extraordinarily useful special abilities, stat breakdowns and equipment allowances clearly create strong delineation of what path a character should take. Espers and relics allow you to subvert this to an extent, but that's just added flexibility. FF6 handles "classes" absolutely perfectly.

Edit: Except for the fact the game at no point becomes challenging enough for you to make any choices in this regard.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Chrono Cross is a pile of shit. I absolutely hated that they had a cast of 18,000 people you could use
Funny, I thought that was one of its strongest characteristics. I got Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana and Threads of Fate at the same time, and CC was probably the best of the three, although obviously not in the same tier as the FF games or (Chrono Trigger or SOM).

Edit: Except for the fact the game at no point becomes challenging enough for you to make any choices in this regard.
I always got the impression that FF6 wasn't so much about challenge as it was about how much you wanted to get out of it. The wealth of side quests and secrets gave you tons of optional stuff to do and it was all awesome (OK, so grinding for Gau's Veldt abilities wasn't so much fun). I will admit that as much as I dislike MP bars, characters like Sabin and Edgar who had "free" abilities did seem to make the game a bit too easy, though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pile of shit seems a bit extreme. I mean yeah, 45 playable characters when you can only have a party of 3 is pretty retarded, especially when only a handful of the characters get any kind of character development (Kid, Riddel, Karsh, Glenn, Harle, Radius). So 6 characters out of 43 if you don't count Serge and Lynx. I'm a sucker for any kind of time travel story, so I love the background of Chrono Cross. It's actually really dark and melancholic once you figure out all the shit that's going on and the differences between Home World and Another World. The gameplay was really good too, but that was back when there were still innovative devs at Square.

As for the FF9/CC trade, it wasn't on purpose, we just each borrowed the game from the other then fell out of touch.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just didn't enjoy it, so to me it was a pile of shit. I remember I kept playing it in hopes that it would be better, but it seemed every 30 minutes you were adding another person to the roster.

FF6 is my favorite RPG of all time - an absolute master piece.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This keeps coming up so I made a graph. Games are more rated for how they were at the time and I haven't included 1-3 because they were before my time to judge.

FF8 is focused around the gameplay rather than story, but the gameplay is polarising causing some to hate it.
FF9 is focused around the story rather than gameplay, but the story is polarising causing some to hate it.

You'll most likely be in one of these two camps. Being a FF8/FF5 type I can admit there probably isn't a right answer.

People who hate FF7 (considering the context of being a early 3D game and is allowed to have awful character models) or like FF13 (considering the context of being a Final Fantasy game) are retards.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
This keeps coming up so I made a graph. Games are more rated for how they were at the time and I haven't included 1-3 because they were before my time to judge.

FF8 is focused around the gameplay rather than story, but the gameplay is polarising causing some to hate it.
FF9 is focused around the story rather than gameplay, but the story is polarising causing some to hate it.

You'll most likely be in one of these two camps. Being a FF8/FF5 type I can admit there probably isn't a right answer.

People who hate FF7 (in the context of being a early 3D game and is allowed to have awful character models) or like FF13 (in the context of being a Final Fantasy game) are retards.
No, your reasoning behind FF8 and FF9 IS flawed, and your graph is complete shit. FF7 MOST GAMEPLAY DRIVEN what horse shit.

Oh, lol. You made the graph yourself. That's so very sad.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If FF8 was all about gameplay, why was it sold so hard by Sqeenix advertising at the time based on its love story theme?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It truly is impossible to have a discussion about FF for any length without it degenerating into this.

But holy crap you're a moron Chris. I mean, everybody has their own opinion, but calling FF7 the magnum opus of the series?

tJcAtAv.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hodj I'm not saying they specifically designed these games this way or it's some universal rule (still my opinion), it's just how they turned out - the thing making you carry on playing to the next level.

FF7 is almost universally critically acclaimed.