Final Fantasy VII Remake

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So how many parts/chapters will it have? 3 to 4? I'm guessing we're looking at around a minimum of 300 gigs to have the whole game.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hmmm 100 GB... I'm sure that's all due to the massive amount of cut scenes and shit, but good god I'm not looking forward to spending an entire game in Midgard. It was easily the worst part of FFVII for me. Way too fucking drab and gray. However the actual game play looks amazing to me as a good mixture of ATB and full on real time. I just hope they did something to break up the gray monotones a bit.
Jesus, it's one of the most visually interesting cities in any game and a rare example of cyberpunk.

You call it drab and and grey...

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How much shit do you download? I don't even come close to 1 TB every month but I also live by myself so I guess a house full of leeches streaming all day might do it.

Edit: Ok I lied, I went over 850 GB in January. Rest of the last 6 months are between 400 and 700.

I watch a lot of Twitch, and stream a lot from Netflix/Amazon/etc which isn't enough to put me over the cap, but when I download a couple of games during that same month it becomes very easy to go over if I don't watch my bandwidth usage. I just downloaded NBA2K20 and that was a 80GB download from PSN. I'm sitting at 656GB for the month so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Jesus, it's one of the most visually interesting cities in any game and a rare example of cyberpunk.

You call it drab and and grey...

It is... even Crisis Core all they did was add a hallway street a back ally and some cramped "city" area with a broadway play that apparently caused a mini apocalypse to the minds of Jhenova augmented beings.

Advent Children and this have not changed my mind... I was so overjoyed to get out of Midgar, step on some grass in the overworld and go into a "fantasy style" town

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only reason Midgar felt that way was because it was a jumping off point. Obviously once you get out into the open world you are going to feel unrestrained and now unburdened by Midgar.

But if Midgar was say a mid game act I dont think you would have that same criticism. I thought Midgar was awesome.

• 1Faggotry

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I always thought going back to Midgar in the late game was awesome and felt much different than the beginning of the game. Context means a lot. Midgar could easily be the setting of an entire game in another genre.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I watched Maximillian dood react to the new trailer. He made a statement I hadn't really considered before, in terms of scope.

In the new trailer, you see the bird flying towards Midgar in the distance. Surrounded by a vast desert type area.

It was a "Desert" area in the old game as well. Though once you exited that scene towards the world map, it takes you around 3-4 seconds of walking until you hit grass.

hqdefault.jpg

Then the new "desert area" surrounding Midgar from the intro video of the remake.

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Hawk-outside-Midgar.jpg

In terms of size / scope, Max mentions that in FF7, you can get an airship, hold a direction, and you circle the world in around 30 seconds ish. And I remember that. Give or take few seconds, that is the scope of the world map. It really isn't that far between major areas in terms of distance once you get an air ship/golden choco.

However, going by the desert area leading up to Midgar in the new trailer, and that actually representing the crater / desert area of sorts Midgar finds itself..... Just how massive in scope is the new game?

I really hadn't considered that before. I just looked at the new trailer, saw a bird flying in a barren environment and towards a city. I did not wrap my head around that the bird flying, in an area as far as the eye can see, with a town in the distance, is the scale representation of the tiny little barren/desert area from the original that takes a few seconds to traverse on foot once on the map. Once you move forwards, I'm not even sure if you have time to trigger a random encounter before hitting grass.

Implement that size scale towards Midgar itself, and it really isn't an issue spacing that out for an entire game. As he mentions, we see small parts here and there in videos, but it's easy to lose track of how large it actually is.

It also makes me worried. I have no doubt they can make a massive city world to fit a full game/"part 1" in. But, if the above is an accurate idea of the scale of the actual world, it will be an insane undertaking in terms of development if that is the scale of the world. Especially if you're supposed to traverse that in a modern realistic setting, meaning you traverse the "world" not just a scaled down version of it with areas that zoom in. So you exiting Midgar, and running around, would make you a tiny spec on that image of the desert.

That scale can't be accurate can it?

Last edited:
  • 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wouldn't assume the remake(s) even includes an open world unless they have stated otherwise. (I haven't been following close enough to know) It's possible they're just going to go linear like every other FF game since 10 and have area transitions for the main areas.

• 3Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't assume the remake(s) even includes an open world unless they have stated otherwise. (I haven't been following close enough to know) It's possible they're just going to go linear like every other FF game since 10 and have area transitions for the main areas.

That would create an outrage though from the fans they are supposedly trying so hard to please. As Max said when he talked to them at E3, they really want to make a remake in terms of having everything the base game had, but also add things. They can't do that in a linear progression, as the game had exploring around suddenly encountering mobs that wipe you because you entered a place not your level. Getting the different types of chocobos that extended your reach. Finding the weapon mobs and different summons.

Though, you are right. I don't think they've ever said anything about any part after Midgar.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To be consistent with Cloud's motorcycle battle from Advent Children the desert does need some size to it. I do fully expect to get an airship and an open map in future parts, but it would be rather tedious if you had to fly straight for 5 minutes to get where you are going. There's a happy balance somewhere between expansive and expeditious.

The bird flying over the barren desert plus the focus on the wilting plants + cold children's playground does more than enough to highlight the Midgar reactors are sucking the life from the ground.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I'd assume there will be an overworld again, otherwise there's no way they could do the entire planet.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck you guys, I want to spend 5 hours running through the desert just to get to the first town #Totalimmersion

• 2Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuck you guys, I want to spend 5 hours running through the desert just to get to the first town #Totalimmersion
Then you remember that first town is Calm, and the flashback is terrible.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
we're all thinking the ending of the second disc will be aeris getting gut stabbed and then hoho, wait for part 2! right?

• 1Barf

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
if Midgar is part one, I would think part 2 would be something like the ship from Junon being the end and your arrival on the new continent. Guess it depends if all major cities are getting an overhaul or not though, if not junon than maybe the gold saucer part.

Going from outside midgar to the lands of the ancient means what, gold saucer, nibleheim, nib reactor, cosmo canyon, cid's town/escape, wutai. That's a lot of stuff for one disc

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even in the base game, all the other towns didn't have the "scope" or size of Midgar, so I hope they don't plan on fleshing them out as much, would be way too much filler garbage I'd think.