Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I tried an MMO mouse and my man hands can't handle the baby buttons
I'm currently using a Cosair Glaive RBG. I was having the same issues too, the buttons were just small for me. The mouse is perfect for someone with skinny or small hands. A friend told me that Logitech g600 is a good MMO mouse. I may give that Steel Series Rival 500 a try.

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'm currently using a Cosair Glaive RBG. I was having the same issues too, the buttons were just small for me. The mouse is perfect for someone with skinny or small hands. A friend told me that Logitech g600 is a good MMO mouse. I may give that Steel Series Rival 500 a try.
I pretty much swear by the naga hex (great thumb button layout imo). Sad that their software has become super bloated ;(

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Maybe I'm overlooking something but is there a way to display overall damage with ACT instead of segment fights? I was running a dungeon on my monk and the first two bosses I was top dps and the last boss I was 3rd cause I lost my GL stacks to due mechanics and I also died once. I was looking to see how I did damage wise but it only showed the damage for the last fight.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe I'm overlooking something but is there a way to display overall damage with ACT instead of segment fights? I was running a dungeon on my monk and the first two bosses I was top dps and the last boss I was 3rd cause I lost my GL stacks to due mechanics and I also died once. I was looking to see how I did damage wise but it only showed the damage for the last fight.
There should be an All section? I just have the timer to pick up a new fight so high dungeons are just one big parse anyway, due to boss taking 25mins breaks during cool cutscenes. If you don't have that, there's an option you didn't tick/unticked, Options > Misc > Populate an "All" section bla bla bla.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I know this will sound a bit strange, but I did Palace of the Dead for the first time this weekend. :)

Me and my friend were looking to do something together in game, and decide to level up a tank/healer combo. We were about to run a few dungeons when decided to check PotD since neither of us had ever done it before. I know dungeons are probably better experience for a tank/healer duo but we wanted to try something new.

We made it to 41-50 before calling it a night, it was kinda simple mindless fun. It got us from 35 to 38 or so. I wouldn't do it 24/7, but it's something else we're going to add to our "things to do" maybe once or twice a week.

Also never really paid attention to Wondrous Tales before, but got like 3 or 4 done this week without really trying, probably won't get anything done tonight before tomorrow's reset. I think I will actually pay more attention next week to see if I can complete, or at least complete some of the objectives.

I also started going back to back to the Golden Saucer a bit, there are some stuff I want from there. Not going hardcore but a few mins each day. I like doing the jumping puzzle and the on-rail flying shooter thingy. Not too long and decent return. I should learn to play the card game at some point.

Having completed leveling my crafters freed up a lot of my time to do other stuff. So many things to do, only did Eden 1(normal obviously) so far, didn't even do the Twinning dungeon yet. So my Red Mage isn't even geared yet. I think I have about 1200 Goetia and 400 Phantasmagoria so I can actually upgrade some stuff when I get the chance.

Cybsled

Wonderous Tales is usually really easy to complete when a new patch or xpac launches, because of the high amount of 1st time runs (which gives you a bonus chance for reroll/etc in the book).

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I was working on crafting this weekend, and the strangest thing happened. I ran out of shards >.< lol.

You get so many shards for free from doing all of the crafting starter quests that I never even really thought twice about them. Getting my Weaver to level 40 caused that to become a thing this weekend. I ran out of Lightning Shards which meant no more crafting until I restock.

So, I went out and farmed 200 lightning shards. I was like this will hold me over for a long while. I went back, and did some more grinding on my weaving, and BAM... out of lightning shards! I was like are you fucking kidding me. I went to the market board, and dropped 60,000+ gil for 500 lightning shards, and went back to working my weaving. I got to level 40 in weaving, but I am out of lightning shards again.

I have about 600,000 gil collected up from all of the MSQ quests and stuff I have done while leveling, but there is no way in hell I can afford to keep buying shards off the market board. That would empty my pockets in no time.

I'm only halfway 40 out of 80 levels on my weaver, and that's only one of the crafting classes. How are people dealing with the constant need for shards for crafting in this game? Are people really spending days farming and/or spending everything they make to buy it from others that do farm? Is there something I am missing maybe?

By the way, I do have one of my retainers farming the lightning shards for me. He currently is getting 60 lightning shards per each one hour venture which also cost me one venture each time to have him go do it. It's something, but not nearly worth it in my opinion.

Also, I got up to the part where I need to go do The Aery on my Heavensward MSQ. I'll probably do The Aery tonight.

Cybsled

Ventures for shards is one way. If you have a house, gather some seeds (Levinlight for lightning shards) that grow into shards (they grow to full in 24 hrs or so?). A fully planted garden with no special soil will net you like 400 shards or so per harvest.

The main thing is shards stop being a crafting material once you get to around 50. From 50 to 80, it is all crystals and clusters for those recipes.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Ventures for shards is one way. If you have a house, gather some seeds (Levinlight for lightning shards) that grow into shards (they grow to full in 24 hrs or so?). A fully planted garden with no special soil will net you like 400 shards or so per harvest.

The main thing is shards stop being a crafting material once you get to around 50. From 50 to 80, it is all crystals and clusters for those recipes.
Are the crystals and clusters just a higher level of basically the same thing where you have to go out and farm them in large quantities to level crafting as well?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
How do you get ventures for your retainers? I got a couple from quests I think but I don’t know what’s the best place to get them after that. Also, what classes should they be to be most useful?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
How do you get ventures for your retainers? I got a couple from quests I think but I don’t know what’s the best place to get them after that. Also, what classes should they be to be most useful?
I have tons of currency with my GC, and they sell them there cheap.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
By the way, what's a good way to obtain Glamour Prisms? Keep in mind my highest level class/job is 56, harvesting is 40, and crafting 40.

There are a ton of items I have been getting through quests that I would like to glamour just so I have them there for later. Keeping every single item that I like the look of in my personal, retainer, and chocobo saddlebag inventories is taking up way too much space. It would be nice to offload a bunch of it to the glamour dresser thing in my inn room.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are the crystals and clusters just a higher level of basically the same thing where you have to go out and farm them in large quantities to level crafting as well?
Functionally they are the same. As soon as you hit 51+ all combines will shift to crystals instead of shards and any master recipes / star level difficulty will use clusters instead. Some crafters speculated that we would shift to entirely clusters this expansion but that did not happen, I'm sure they'll speculate next one too.

(Old) hunt currency is the best source to gain ventures and teleport tickets, assuming you get into the linkshells or discord and actively hunt S ranks.

Glamour prisms are fairly cheap for GC seals or you can buy the crafting books for 300 gil in Vesper Bay / Revenant's Toll that let you make them with level 30 mats.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I am about ready to hit 50. A few questions:

1) I am going to be purchasing the expansions. Should I do that immediately when I hit 50? I am guessing that's a good idea and no brainer because I can level through the Pre-Heavensword MSQ patch content.

2) Does the MSQ lead me to a raid to tie up the story stuff?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
For some strange reason, I just bought the newest expansion and reactivated my account. I have a level 42 Conjurer(never played any of the expansions). I don't remember wtf I was doing at all. Any quick reference guide to help me figure this shit out after years away?

Janx

<Silver Donator>

1) I am going to be purchasing the expansions. Should I do that immediately when I hit 50? I am guessing that's a good idea and no brainer because I can level through the Pre-Heavensword MSQ patch content.

I would say yes and yes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

You can buy it immediately or you can start the long process of clearing the post ARR quest before HW, the xp for these isn't great so you wouldn't be wasting too much, but it might save you some grinding down the road. If you're not strapped for money and your sub isn't running out with no intent to pay it, no reason to delay it further besides waiting for a sale or whatever.

The MSQ does not include any sort of raids, directly(there is 8man content but not what this game calls raid). However the ARR main 8man raid(Coil of Bahamut), as well as the 24man raid(Crystal Tower) both are tied to the story(the 8man very closely tied to the 1.0 > ARR transition and to some of the main characters, the 24man wasn't really tied to much until this expansion where it becomes fairly central to the story). Once you hit 50 and finish the original ARR MSQ, you'll be able to unlock access to both, however in the case of Coil, the 8man, it can't be done via roulettes so it's recommended to just keep lvling and do it later unsynced(no lvl/item sync, so you can solo/duo it) for the story. It's not vital to do it right away it'll just be interesting to do it eventually. For the 24man, I'd recommend doing it right away(Mysterious Man in Mor Dhona, Legacy of Allag quest) because unlocking 2 of the 24man will also unlock the alliance raid roulette, which is a great source of daily xp for alts and what not.

For some strange reason, I just bought the newest expansion and reactivated my account. I have a level 42 Conjurer(never played any of the expansions). I don't remember wtf I was doing at all. Any quick reference guide to help me figure this shit out after years away?

If it's not displayed by default, go into the HUD Layout and right click the Scenario Guide which should be in the top left corner(can move/resize it too). This should point you to the next Main Story Quest, as well as your job quest if you have any not done yet. Especially if you're still a fucking Conjurer, go to Gridania and do the CNJ quests and unlock White Mage, but first check you didn't do that yet by opening your inventory armor and checking if you just didn't forget to equip your White Mage Crystal in the slot below the rings.

Then you kinda do the MSQ and keep going like that, might want to find a video of a summary of the story if you want to get back into it too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What data center you on soyjen?

If you're interested in joining the official unofficial trans queer non binary discord pm me on disc noodleface#1662

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user