Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
You try macro’ing that numpad 00 thing for confirmation skips? I’ll have to try that when I get home.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
You try macro’ing that numpad 00 thing for confirmation skips? I’ll have to try that when I get home.
You still have to right click the damn object next to you, as far as I'm aware (which is still super annoying because most of the time it will want to examine other players, or yourself, instead of bring up the object ui), but at least you can quickly press 00 to confirm. First 0 puts a cursor up there to select one of the options, 2nd 0 presses yes. Luckily it default selects "yes."

Also, another tip, once you get into trials that have unskippable, very long cutscenes is that you can at least press enter to bring up chat.

The game is definitely still very clunky. Pretty much nothing feels super responsive.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I thought they more or less had to scrap the 1.0 base game because they could only change so much and YoshiP successfully argued for a complete redo?

They couldn't scrap "everything" sadly the Database is still from 1.0 and sounds like an absolute headache too work with.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Okay I must finally be getting into Heavensward because I just had to do The Keeper of the Lake dungeon and that shit was epic as hell, and I actually wanted to listen to the cutscene and read the text. That was fantastic. And the final fight there was super cool, particularly fun to heal.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Malkav

French Madman
Okay I must finally be getting into Heavensward because I just had to do The Keeper of the Lake dungeon and that shit was epic as hell, and I actually wanted to listen to the cutscene and read the text. That was fantastic. And the final fight there was super cool, particularly fun to heal.
I always loved Keeper of the Lake.
You have one more patch including a trial ( and a ridiculous fetch quest or two I'll admit) . I'd suggest to not skip from here on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

You're definitely getting close. The good stuff is coming.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
but at least you can quickly press 00 to confirm. First 0 puts a cursor up there to select one of the options, 2nd 0 presses yes. Luckily it default selects "yes."
I have a keyboard with macro keys to the left, and have macro'ed F12 (target nearest object) and Numpad 0 (ok) to the bottom two.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Also this was lol:
One of the dps needed a minute to get the door right as we got in. I waited with him because why not. The other 2 went forward and of course died.

Later the tank that went forward and ignored the afk DC'd and talked some more shit. Said the guy that had to get the door should have ignored it and let the girl go back home (it was the dudes wife/girlfriend at the door, didn't have her keys).

And then he explained he was a professional gamer that is a millionaire from winning bitcoin in tournaments 10 years ago. Comically, despite being a pro gamer, he refused to explain any of the upcoming mechanics to the 3 sprouts, so we died twice on the final boss. When we asked him what the mechanics were after the first death, his response was that 'it gets 10% easier each death, so don't worry about it.'

I gotta say, the whole "my money, my time" mentality that seems to pervade this game can lead to its own brand of super toxic shit. Although I was laughing the entire time. What a sad loser lmao.

ffx14-1.jpg

ffx14-2.jpg

ffx14-3.jpg

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I rarely see toxic people in the game. It's so much better than WoW in that regard. FFXIV has a very active GM team that stomps it out.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I rarely see toxic people in the game. It's so much better than WoW in that regard. FFXIV has a very active GM team that stomps it out.

Really? I played FFXIV a year or two ago and dungeons in that game were some of the most toxic shit I had seen since League of Legends. It was bad enough that I forced myself to play a Dark Knight, just so I could tank/lead and not have to deal with as much toxicity.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Really? I played FFXIV a year or two ago and dungeons in that game were some of the most toxic shit I had seen since League of Legends. It was bad enough that I forced myself to play a Dark Knight, just so I could tank/lead and not have to deal with as much toxicity.
I don't understand how this "my money, my game time" mentality that seems so pervasive (I've read about it a lot, and just had my first encounter with it above) works when you have content that requires cooperation. The fact that this tank refused to wait 30 seconds for a doorbell and then whined about dying is kinda mind blowing. And his excuse was "his money, his game time." Like he went ahead straight away, and pulled even though I wasn't with him.

Like, I AM glad that they have something in place, because it does seem to do some good. But it does make people just not talk, for fear of getting in trouble. And people have mentioned in this thread that they'll just be super passive aggressive instead. I dunno, I guess I'll find out more as I get to higher dungeons. I won't be surprised if I get in trouble for making fun of the asshole.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand how this "my money, my game time" mentality that seems so pervasive (I've read about it a lot, and just had my first encounter with it above) works when you have content that requires cooperation.
Because you can just queue again and get a whole new group of people. This is one of the huge downsides to dungeon finders, instances, etc. Your reputation doesn't really follow you in MMOs of this size or with heavy use of instanced content.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Because you can just queue again and get a whole new group of people. This is one of the huge downsides to dungeon finders, instances, etc. Your reputation doesn't really follow you in MMOs of this size or with heavy use of instanced content.
For sure. Reputation was such a huge, huge deal in EQ. I don't think we'll ever get that again though. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it doesn't seem feasible?

Malkav

French Madman
FFXIV can kinda have a "casual toxicity" to it. Bads are not pushed to improve, in most content they are fully expected to be carried by competent players. So you end up with freestyle samurais or dumb as bricks tanks.

The sad part is that some people could actually and would accept advice, but most people will avoid giving advices in case they end up triggering a snowflake safe space because the ToS are so vague you could get reported for this bullshit.

Well, and I see from your screenshot that you are on the Chaos DC apparently, so enjoy the Moogle frenchies? lol

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
FFXIV can kinda have a "casual toxicity" to it. Bads are not pushed to improve, in most content they are fully expected to be carried by competent players. So you end up with freestyle samurais or dumb as bricks tanks.

The sad part is that some people could actually and would accept advice, but most people will avoid giving advices in case they end up triggering a snowflake safe space because the ToS are so vague you could get reported for this bullshit.

Well, and I see from your screenshot that you are on the Chaos DC apparently, so enjoy the Moogle frenchies? lol
It's not my fault the French are the Brazilian gamers of Europe o_O. Yeah I guess that's why I can't find a FC. I do see broadcasts in French sometimes, that must be where the recruiting FC's are. I didn't want to start on Light because it had no bonus exp servers. I'm sure I'll come to regret that, but ah well.

Do all mounts have unique soundtracks?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
For sure. Reputation was such a huge, huge deal in EQ. I don't think we'll ever get that again though. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it doesn't seem feasible?
Not in most "mainstream" MMOs it isn't feasible, no. Because most just dance with the "girl that brought them" and blindly implement group/dungeon/raid/etc. finding tools. In smaller, more niche MMOs or MMOs that use instancing very little/not at all, reputation still matters.

Malkav

French Madman
You'll have like a 45+ minutes cutscene at the end of 2.55, but they'll warn you beforehand. Oh and yeah, if you just did Keeper of the Lake, you still in fact have 2 trials left before the end.

Juvarisx

Florida
Just finished Shadowbringers (just 5.0) 10/10 amazing story and perfect finale, it felt earned.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users