Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malkav

French Madman
My Fav's though, Susano, Byakko, Zurvan, Seiryu, SoS, Hades, Suzako(Albiet her 1 line is really annoying after awhile), I wish some of the weapons actually talked and not just for the Cutscenes... except Nael fuck her.

Turn 9 PTSD is still strong.

Chris

Potato del Grande
There isn't another MMO that comes close, musically.
Two genius composers will do that!

Always been a fan of Umetsu and I didn't think that they could replace him, but Soken is really coming into his own now.

Some of the best stuff is Soken arranging Umetsu music.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
Two genius composers will do that!

Always been a fan of Umetsu and I didn't think that they could replace him, but Soken is really coming into his own now.

Some of the best stuff is Soken arranging Umetsu music.

Uematsu only did main themes (up to SB) and a few tracks once ARR released (1.0 was lot of his music though). The main genius at work here is Soken.

Malkav

French Madman
Queued Leveling Roulette as DNC, ended up in Cutter's Cry with 3 sprouts... It was....slow... Tanks running away to kill stray mobs when we get to shifting sands to go to the next part of the dungeon, stuff like that...

We get to the last boss, the Chimera, and I take the time to warn them "ram : outside, dragon : inside". SAM, which was 50+ since he had Ironworks gear, proceeded to eat EVERY Ram's Voice and die 2 times. Sprout healer also didn't get that you needed to bait the orbs, ended up sitting next to every orb that targeted him until they exploded and gave him Paralysis until it finally killed him.

Man, that was rough.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Wait, I'm confused about some story. So, Nero was an Imperial that I fought in the raid with Gaius and the Ultima Weapon, right? He was Gaius's 2nd in command, but when we beat him in the raid, he fled and did not die. Then I see him at the crystal tower, taking aetheric measurements, right? He was the one taking the measurements the entire time in ARR? And then he does something heroic in The Crystal Tower.

So, he worked for Gaius, but had ulterior motives the entire time, is that right? The measurements he was taking weren't related to the Ultima weapon and were for his own agenda? Not necessarily an Imperial agenda, or? So Gaius is dead, but Nero is still alive and might possibly have a redemption arc after being saved by Garlond?

Queued Leveling Roulette as DNC, ended up in Cutter's Cry with 3 sprouts... It was....slow... Tanks running away to kill stray mobs when we get to shifting sands to go to the next part of the dungeon, stuff like that...

We get to the last boss, the Chimera, and I take the time to warn them "ram : outside, dragon : inside". SAM, which was 50+ since he had Ironworks gear, proceeded to eat EVERY Ram's Voice and die 2 times. Sprout healer also didn't get that you needed to bait the orbs, ended up sitting next to every orb that targeted him until they exploded and gave him Paralysis until it finally killed him.

Man, that was rough.
What does bait the orbs mean? You lead them into something? I've always tanked that fight and only ever noticed the ram/dragon mechanic. "Ram: outside, dragon: inside" might not be enough info for a sprout. You gotta remember some people are coming from totally different games or no MMOs at all. But usually people get it after 1 or 2 times taking damage lol.

Goonsquad Officer
Wait, I'm confused about some story. So, Nero was an Imperial that I fought in the raid with Gaius and the Ultima Weapon, right? He was Gaius's 2nd in command, but when we beat him in the raid, he fled and did not die. Then I see him at the crystal tower, taking aetheric measurements, right? He was the one taking the measurements the entire time in ARR? And then he does something heroic in The Crystal Tower.

So, he worked for Gaius, but had ulterior motives the entire time, is that right? The measurements he was taking weren't related to the Ultima weapon and were for his own agenda? Not necessarily an Imperial agenda, or? So Gaius is dead, but Nero is still alive and might possibly have a redemption arc after being saved by Garlond?
He was the hammer guy in the electric arena in praetorum. He was there doing research under giaus. The empire washed their hands of the retards who blew up the praetorum, like Nero. Nero had a history with garlond like he whined about in praetorum. When he was basically exiled or told to never come home or knew he'd be executed for loosing the praetorum, he went off on his own. He is kind of looking for his own power trip since he's a lil tired of being second banana. He (like many imperials) think he has been doing the right thing all along so he is capable of spots of goodness, but doesn't like to admit it. Kind of an antihero, but with style.

The longer the game goes, they do have old characters emerge. They continue to exist in the world.

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Someone else can probably explain it better, but I had thought Nero was mostly just a competitive science nerd and wants to be the best/better than Cid, etc.

Malkav

French Madman

What does bait the orbs mean? You lead them into something? I've always tanked that fight and only ever noticed the ram/dragon mechanic. "Ram: outside, dragon: inside" might not be enough info for a sprout. You gotta remember some people are coming from totally different games or no MMOs at all. But usually people get it after 1 or 2 times taking damage lol.

Nero is an antagonist until Crystal Tower. After you defeat the Empire at the Praetorium, he kinda goes on to do his own thing in search of Allagan technology. He was in the same class as Cid in the academy and is kinda jealous/looks up to Cid. He doesn't really follow the Imperial "ideals", he just wants to do nerd stuff and compete with Cid.

As for the orbs, the boss puts a crosshair on a random DPS or the healer, and an electric orb will appear and it will start following the targeted player for a bit. After a few seconds it stops, and then detonates, doing damage and giving Paralysis to people in range. So if you have the crosshair on you, you lead the orb away until it stops and then stay out of its range. The healer in my group just stood there the whole time, he got the crosshair, the orb popped, went next to him and sat there for a bit, and detonated....3 times...

And yeah, I know my explanation to them was short, but the tank went up and pulled while I was typing (after being slow the whole run lol) so I cut it short.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Haven't played this since I banged out a 60 WHM when the game first came out. I believe i have BLM to 30. Is there any need to level any other jobs? Or can I just continue playing where I left off and go through the entire story I've missed since the original game came out.

Goonsquad Officer
you can just play the same job forever. i basically only tank. i think i have gnb/dk at cap, dancer near cap, and zero healers (because fuck healing) and a mix of other leveled guys purely from turning in random quests on the 'lowest level guy i can'.

you can just continue where you left off. they added a thing to the inn room now where you can read a book and re-watch old scenes. so you can 'watch' what has happened so far, though watching a youtuber recap may be faster or more convenient. I was in the same boat as you when i started playing again. i had finished HW (but not the tweeny quests) and then came back about six months ago, pushed through all the expansions and had a lot of fun doing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
As for the orbs, the boss puts a crosshair on a random DPS or the healer, and an electric orb will appear and it will start following the targeted player for a bit. After a few seconds it stops, and then detonates, doing damage and giving Paralysis to people in range. So if you have the crosshair on you, you lead the orb away until it stops and then stay out of its range. The healer in my group just stood there the whole time, he got the crosshair, the orb popped, went next to him and sat there for a bit, and detonated....3 times...

And yeah, I know my explanation to them was short, but the tank went up and pulled while I was typing (after being slow the whole run lol) so I cut it short.
Oh right, you confused me with the term "bait". Bait to me makes me think you need to lead the mob into another thing, to trigger a thing. See in my mind, saying that the sparks "fixate" would give me perfect comprehension that I need to run from it. Everyone has different vocabulary, so that's why I think more detail is better when explaining some mechanics to people. I've had a few times where people explain a mechanic in FF14 in like 6 words that is basically hieroglyphics to me.

That said, saying "ram close dragon far" should be enough for most people with a brain after they see 1 of each aoe go off. I've had groups with that boss where 2-3 people constantly take the aoes and it just gets easily outhealed tho lol. So not much motivation for some people to learn.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Do I need to bother doing The Gift of the Archmagus for Aether Oil and Allagan Catalyst? It wants me to go redo the Crystal Tower raids. I'm assuming this was a way of upgrading ilvl in the past and is not super necessary now?

Goonsquad Officer
Do I need to bother doing The Gift of the Archmagus for Aether Oil and Allagan Catalyst? It wants me to go redo the Crystal Tower raids. I'm assuming this was a way of upgrading ilvl in the past and is not super necessary now?
yea that junk is traded at rowana's house of hooha, or to make level 50 relics. so it's garbo. you could keep the quest in log in case the roulette deals you a crystal tower again.

Cybsled

Most of that stuff is useless. There are a handful of crafting items that use that, and the old ARR relics use them at parts, but that is about it. If you do Alliance Raid roulette later on (it will unlock once you unlock another raid series in HW), you might get Crystal Tower again and usually people rush to leave the raid after its done to avoid getting saddled with all the useless drops lol

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Most of that stuff is useless. There are a handful of crafting items that use that, and the old ARR relics use them at parts, but that is about it. If you do Alliance Raid roulette later on (it will unlock once you unlock another raid series in HW), you might get Crystal Tower again and usually people rush to leave the raid after its done to avoid getting saddled with all the useless drops lol

Those useless drops are the only thing keeping me from being broke lol.

Fun fact I learned about the market board - it buys the entire quantity of listed items by default apparently? So I am now the proud owner of half a million gil worth of pizza lol.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol doing this level 50ish Mining quest that requires unspoiled vein at 1am in Coerthas Highlands. I'm waiting around, clock strikes 1am and I see the unspoiled vein appear and literally, out of thin air, 10 other people appear and are mining it. Wtf? I know people keep track of those, but, what? They came out of nowhere, literally right at 1am the moment it spawned?

What's the darksteel ore for, anyways?

It's just weird. People staggering in, sure, but that many people instantly appearing as soon as it spawned???

Btw are there new potions for higher levels? I did some searching on the marketboard, but only saw stuff that restored a max of around 2k. What about for higher levels?

Last edited: