Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here's a trap for people using the SE Software Token App on their mobile phone.

Between the time I cancelled my FFXIV Sub and now, I damaged my phone, and naturally replaced it. Wiped the old one as I never intended to use it again except in an emergency.

Bad move. The Software Token App is activated by a one-time process. Can't be reactivated until the Token is removed from my account first, and then re-added. Unfortunately I can't log in to my SE account anymore (token p/w required) and the Token removal password is only available after logging in, of course. Rookie error, I never noted it down.

Submitted a ticket; hopefully Customer Support isn't getting too swamped by the influx of new players. =)

When I had that happen to me a long time ago, I called their CS and they helped me out. They are pretty helpful.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Played quite a bit last night - I have a NIN at 60, Dancer at 60, and a bunch of classes at 50.... I'm on the 60 MSQ, but say I wanted to level the MSQ with my SAM - whats the best way to get that class caught up so I can continue MSQ (I assume msq is fastest way to level)? Chain run dungeons? Fates? I'm knocking out my challenge book for xp that way, but is there anything else to do?

Also, looks like SAM is the easiest/least button spammy melee or is there another? Seems much easier to get decent dps on SAM than NIN or my MNK.

Having a lot of fun, although it takes a while to get back into the "groove" here - feels like you're constantly fighting the menus and other sort of unintuitive things.

Goonsquad Officer
Played quite a bit last night - I have a NIN at 60, Dancer at 60, and a bunch of classes at 50.... I'm on the 60 MSQ, but say I wanted to level the MSQ with my SAM - whats the best way to get that class caught up so I can continue MSQ (I assume msq is fastest way to level)? Chain run dungeons? Fates? I'm knocking out my challenge book for xp that way, but is there anything else to do?

Also, looks like SAM is the easiest/least button spammy melee or is there another? Seems much easier to get decent dps on SAM than NIN or my MNK.

Having a lot of fun, although it takes a while to get back into the "groove" here - feels like you're constantly fighting the menus and other sort of unintuitive things.
for fast XP , roulettes once a day which have the bonus XPfeature are retarded fast, but once a day. the deep dungeon is said to be the best overall (but a little unintuitive to start). PVP is supposed to be fast, even if loose, but i've never tried it.

hunting log (if your class has it) can be nice. Beast tribes in the 60's range (stormblood) are great xp. Fates can be good in a fate group, but i think other methods are faster these days. repeat duty roullete (even without daily bonus) may be faster.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So, in WoW if you expected to be solo most of the time while you could do it with any class, most people gravitated towards Hunters, and to a lesser extent Palas and Druids (at least back in the day). How is it with FF14? I expect you can solo with most of them, but are there some that are way better than others? How about Pugalists? I've always liked monk classes in RPGs.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
So, in WoW if you expected to be solo most of the time while you could do it with any class, most people gravitated towards Hunters, and to a lesser extent Palas and Druids (at least back in the day). How is it with FF14? I expect you can solo with most of them, but are there some that are way better than others? How about Pugalists? I've always liked monk classes in RPGs.
Every class has a 3 button combo. The pugilist one wants you to swap between the mob's back and it's side constantly within that 3 button combo. It's pretty annoying. But some people apparently like all the silly dancing around.

Also, I dunno about the class/open world thing other than some classes really blow for that stuff, like Astrologian, or at least mine does, and some just melt faces, like Red Mage. I dunno if it affects max level player pop job tho. Gotta remember you can play all jobs on one char. So I tend to level my AST in dungeons/roulettes and if I have an open world thing I'll do it with my Red Mage.

Goonsquad Officer
the MSQgives so much xp you can keep 2-3 classes 'on tier' with the MSQ. you can turn in quests with any class. so you could, for example, level white mage, along side red mage and just finish the quests on red, then swap to white for the turn in (some exceptions will occur, where they give you completion at the end of a mini instance).

also, around level...(20? 30?)you get a chocobo and you can bring your chocobo out to fight. you can assign the chocobo's skill points to specialize in healing, tanking, or dps. so whatever you are, you can make him do the other thing.

so with all those factors in place, it's not bad to play whatever you want while playing the game.

also as a healer you get instant queues and duty's are one of the best XP methods. if you do one version of the bonus-xp-daily duties you will outlevel the MSQ.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yup my healer has outlevel'd my Paladin now, because there's just too often where healer is the class in need with roulette and because of insta queue. I use my paladin for way more, but my healer outlevels. Even my 2nd healer is starting to get up there. And I just use my dps to turn in all my MSQ.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Can someone give me a quick cliffnote on why this is popular all of a sudden? Because everything else sucks? Sorry if its been stated.

Argarth

On the verandah
Well, my Token removal saga continues. Apparently I have an EU account, and I submitted my ticket to the NA Support centre, and they can't help me with EU accounts. I clicked on a link in one of my original emails from them, so no idea how that happened. Back to the end of the queue, start again.
/le sigh... Yep, it's way too fucking hard to give them money.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Can someone give me a quick cliffnote on why this is popular all of a sudden? Because everything else sucks? Sorry if its been stated.

The game has been pretty great for a few years now, pretty good longer than that. But more recently there has been a lack in big games coming out due to covid pushing everything back to 2022, and then WoW apparently just shit its shitty bed and that forced even its most devout players to begin looking for a bed less filled with shit. So now everyone is looking at FFXIV, and people are so desperate for a good game, they are even enjoying the MSQ (although I assume going through it with an audience cheering you on has to help).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Well, my Token removal saga continues. Apparently I have an EU account, and I submitted my ticket to the NA Support centre, and they can't help me with EU accounts. I clicked on a link in one of my original emails from them, so no idea how that happened. Back to the end of the queue, start again.
/le sigh... Yep, it's way too fucking hard to give them money.
Lol yeah when I bought the wrong version of the game, I sent a ticket into legit 3 different sources at once, just to cover my bases. One of them gave me an instant refund overnight, the other took 3 days and said they'd do it, the other took like 5 days and said I needed to go to the first place.

There's the US Square Enix store, the EU one, and then there's the separate moggstations, and then there's one other place with a super weird URL that makes you feel like you're ordering hard drugs from the dark web. Oh god and I imagine there is steam shit too that is totally separate.

They do seem helpful and nice... if you can get to the right place.

Welcome to the internet. Things get popular out of nowhere.

Merrith

Many people who forever deemed it a "weeb" game, are so bored with everything else they're actually trying it out and finding out any of that stuff you can pretty much ignore and enjoy all the good things the game does.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
the latest FF14 expansion. shadowbfringers. kind if did a great lore payoff, and has refined game play a great deal, so people playing it are really happy and jazzed for the next expansion.

The game can be a hike. ARRhas an okay story, but it's super drawn out, and clumsy. and the game play and dungeons are a bit simplistic.

Heavensward has a great story, with better gameplay and dungeons, but is still a little sloggy.

stormblood has a decent but a little disjointed story, improved gameplay and dungeon. stormblood also builds on a lot of previous story telling to really make you feel all the characters. most are well developped.

shadowbringers has a really great story, the characters are well fleshed out, the pacing is good. the dungeons are good, the game play is smooth. it's got all the years of feature building and vanity items and all the content built up.

So most current players are here, at the end of shadowbringers. they were rewarded by having played ARR, HW, StB as story build up, and then SB really spikes the football and uses all the lore and elements to make a good story.

So everyone is excited for endwalker because the same writers, same composers, same modelers and everything are working on it as with shadowbringers, so it looks like a 'good time' to check it out.

that's the 'ff 14 is fun' angle. the other true angle is that WoW has choked on it's own shit with its head up its own ass so long, that no one is pretending like it's okay anymore so people are venturing into FF14 to poke around. and because it's 'new to them' it feels like a fresher experience. its easy to feel lost with the wide array of weird features and optional game play modes so you 'feel' new again in it. so it captures a little 'new to mmo's magic in a way.

it's really easy to shit on though! You could try FF14 and hate the weebies, hate the lala or cat girls, find the combat slow or the ARR content too fetch questy (it is). you have to want to play through all the expenasions ot get to the end.

if you do want to. and enjoy the story, and jjust gloss over some of the weebier things, it's pretty excelent.

it's easy to find something you like in it. you can play a big manyly man and avoid all weebery. you can make anime waifu, you can make weird looking character. you can take or leave just about any aspect of the game and enjoy the slices you like.

the game also respects your time. the devs have said they are okjay with you only coming back for the new story, or playing once a week. you can progress in all but the ultimate things with very littel play time. and then even in ultimate with minimal play time after you are rolling. so even if you just enjoy some of ff14 it's not going to eat all your gaming time. you can go play other genres or mmo's and not 'fall behind' . '

rambleramble

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Twitch also tends to be pretty trend heavy. Wow shitting itself + WoW fans slowly trying out the game and hyping it up has a snowball effect. Once you hit a major streamer, like Asmon, then it really busts out. Even Shroud was asking Asmon about the game.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Extremely helpful to new people to have this buffer time to run through the game and catch up all the while knowing the expansion date well in advance and that Square will deliver then too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started playing again on Gilgamesh, but on a new account because I could NOT be bothered trying to work their account sites to try and get my old account up and running. Going for Bard again, and it feels different from what I recall way way back at ARR's release. The thing that I find off is that every skill says "Instant" for cast, but NONE of them are actually instant, most skills take a good 1sec to actually fire off due to animation, so what exactly does the "instant" refer too? My memory could be bad, but back when I was playing the first time, there were skills which did actually fire off instantly (like the ones that had triggers to reset their timers or allow them to be used), but those seem to have been changed to have long cast times.