Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Started playing again on Gilgamesh, but on a new account because I could NOT be bothered trying to work their account sites to try and get my old account up and running. Going for Bard again, and it feels different from what I recall way way back at ARR's release. The thing that I find off is that every skill says "Instant" for cast, but NONE of them are actually instant, most skills take a good 1sec to actually fire off due to animation, so what exactly does the "instant" refer too? My memory could be bad, but back when I was playing the first time, there were skills which did actually fire off instantly (like the ones that had triggers to reset their timers or allow them to be used), but those seem to have been changed to have long cast times.
It means no casting time.

Yeah if you press the button it may take a second to execute, but it will execute even if you move

Spells with cast time (on magic dps and healers) will be cancelled if you move or jump. Just like WoW.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
It seems like there's some weird min maxing you can do with casting. Sometimes I'm casting a heal, but I need to move at the last second, and my cast bar is at 75%. I don't expect the heal to go off, but it does? It seems like once you get to 80%ish of your cast bar, you're good to move. My ping is fine?

Malkav

French Madman
It seems like there's some weird min maxing you can do with casting. Sometimes I'm casting a heal, but I need to move at the last second, and my cast bar is at 75%. I don't expect the heal to go off, but it does? It seems like once you get to 80%ish of your cast bar, you're good to move. My ping is fine?

Yup, that's called slide casting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
So, in WoW if you expected to be solo most of the time while you could do it with any class, most people gravitated towards Hunters, and to a lesser extent Palas and Druids (at least back in the day). How is it with FF14? I expect you can solo with most of them, but are there some that are way better than others? How about Pugalists? I've always liked monk classes in RPGs.
Like others have said, when you get your chocobo mount fairly early on, you can also have it act exactly like a hunter pet compete with talent tree. It can tank, heal or dps as you need.

So if you want to be a WoW Hunter, you want to start as an Archer and wait for the pet.

However since all the new players are reporting getting more exp than they need given the exp to level was nerfed recently, don't be afraid to try out multiple classes early on or even level two simultaneously.

To help with dungeon queues, I strongly suggest either being a Tank if you want to focus on one class (they are not really that much slower than DPS) or leveling a Healer and DPS simultaneously (Healers ARE a lot slower than DPS, boring to DPS but fun to heal with).

There's some weirdness with Summoner/Scholar where they have the same base class (Arcanist I think), so you level them both up simultaneously and get a free Healer with your Magic DPS class.

If you fuck up your class choice, a bunch more unlock and start at 50 and 60 like WoW hero classes, so it's a painless switch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You don't even need the chocobo pet tbh. I've never used it once on any class since equalish level crap dies in seconds. Maybe it's useful if you're just grinding fates on your 8th level 80 alt or something.

You'll have so much experience from MSQ + blue side quests you can have multiple chars to 70+ without doing literally anything else. Toss in pvp daily / weekly tome and you're basically gauranteed a level per day for minimal playtime at the high end.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Playing a healer is rough at the moment. I had a scholar in WoD that did absolutely nothing, even when people died. Tried to get carried with his pet.

damn.jpg

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I usually anticipate 30 minutes when they give the warning.
The ARR warning was almost 50 minutes. I just wanna be sure. Haven't had a clear hour today.

Playing a healer is rough at the moment. I had a scholar in WoD that did absolutely nothing, even when people died. Tried to get carried with his pet.

View attachment 361696
Lol I've noticed that a lot. I actually don't really mind though, at least at 50/60 trials/raids. It's more fun when you have to work harder to keep everyone alive and balance all your tools. Playing a Scholar in early dungeons is funny though, your fairy does everything.

Cybsled

Anytime you get a “series of long cut scenes” pop up, to be safe make sure you give yourself at least 40+ minutes

ARR was extra long, but other xpacs are long as well

bolok

Trakanon Raider
The birb sucks as a tank, I wouldn’t put points there til you max the other 2. The tank barding you get is also uggo. The dps and healer ones are pretty nice tho. Drg and whm

Malkav

French Madman
And enjoy realising how the majority of the playerbase is shit at the game while you can get banned just for hinting at seeing numbers.

In other words, keep it to yourself unless in a static

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am a terrible healer. Which one is the easiest to play better in raids?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I am a terrible healer. Which one is the easiest to play better in raids?
Not Astrologist. I'd probably say Scholar. You can spam aoe heal/shield and you have several ways to regain mana and you have several instant "oh shit" heals, both single and aoe. But I haven't played White mage properly yet so I dunno. Altho their aoe heal seems pretty weak, but that's because it does damage at the same time. Malkav will probably know. But from my newb experience, never having healed much in MMOs, Scholar is easy and fun.