Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So why is SE so against allowing custom uis?

Wouldn't be doable on consoles (if you're talking about addons) and so it would put console players at a severe disadvantage compared to the PC players. The only major lacking thing for me is the lack of any sort of tellmewhen/powerauras when considering how many jobs rely on procs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there something specific you're looking to do with it? I found that allows enough customization in game to not bother me at all.
Wouldn't be doable on consoles (if you're talking about addons) and so it would put console players at a severe disadvantage compared to the PC players. The only major lacking thing for me is the lack of any sort of tellmewhen/powerauras when considering how many jobs rely on procs
Biggest thing is just changing the look. So custom graphics, more so than functionality that I'm looking for. Like the default UI for WoW , in current WoW, has a lot of functionality, but I think ElvUI looks WAY better. I don't use ElvUI for anything special other than how it looks.

We are all just comfortable with what we are familiar with, and so WoW is what I'm familiar with, and everything from the backpack inventory window, to looking at a particular item, to the mini icon graphics you see when looking at items in your armory/backpack. This extends out even to the launcher, which is un-organized hot garbage. Lol. But I think most of the time when this stuff is brought up, people just say it's Square Enix, just the way it is.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I like that I have the option to at least move and scale pretty much any element though, can hide most of them too if you need/want too I think. I'm used to quite a few games recently I couldn't even do that much.

I get the WoW bit though, opening the UI up to 3rd parties created things I couldn't live without while playing WoW. Even when I played closed beta I remember using some mod that ended up becoming some awful bloatfest in live, default UI is awful.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll take no UI modifications vs. them allowing us to have 3rd party UI mods, only to then inevitably have someone invent DBM/BigWigs/GTFO for raid content, and all the cancer that comes with that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll take no UI modifications vs. them allowing us to have 3rd party UI mods, only to then inevitably have someone invent DBM/BigWigs/GTFO for raid content, and all the cancer that comes with that.
You can already do DBM etc and it's done, via ACT. These aren't related to UI things either. Opening the UI API would let you modify the UI only, it wouldn't magically be able to read the memory or log file and let you build mods for it, that's what ACT does. WoW's API specifically allows you to get access to more than just the UI, to create mods for other stuff, but if they just turned off the hooks for all that crap, you wouldn't have these mods(or they'd have to be reworked to work by reading memory/logs instead and be clunkier than before).

The main reason they don't do it I assume though is because their UI is a fucking piece of shit of code, with a lot of remnants from 1.0, which is why it takes them so long to modify shit and some shit they just go "ah sorry we can't really do that". Like making sure your own debuffs/dots are always displayed on all windows. Works on target window but only if you don't go past the first buff limit(the displayed one), which happens all the time in 24man/eureka/S ranks, and it doesn't work on focus window. Can't make it work independently either. So they rework the UI bit by bit themselves but they can't really open it to everyone because it's such flimsy crap.

Overall the base UI is fairly functional imo, so I don't mind it too much. The lack of proc UI stuff is definitely a problem for some classes but I think they could make this work if they rolled it into the job gauge or something like that. You can kinda make your own version with ACT mods, just is kinda messy. Check this out it's a pretty simple guide:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The biggest issue as far as 3rd party UI, is that the game is on Console, the only reason we got the Inventory expansion last time they did it, was cause PS3 support was dropped so they could add it with only being on PC/PS4(better hardware), it's a balancing act with having too develop for mutiple hardware setup's alone, having PC + Console(and being stuck on "base" hardware) what a headache.

Crone

I like that I have the option to at least move and scale pretty much any element though, can hide most of them too if you need/want too I think. I'm used to quite a few games recently I couldn't even do that much.

I get the WoW bit though, opening the UI up to 3rd parties created things I couldn't live without while playing WoW. Even when I played closed beta I remember using some mod that ended up becoming some awful bloatfest in live, default UI is awful.
Yea, I just think aesthetically all the FF14 UI elements look like hot garbage. Lol. Wish I could change them for something else, but meh.

I agree though that the base UI can be changed around quite a bit, and customized to how you like it. I guess a functionality thing would be a way to share your UI setups? I don't think that can be done?

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Theres a UIsave.dat file in each character folder, but not sure if that actually holds the UI layout, or if even interchangable.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Theres a UIsave.dat file in each character folder, but not sure if that actually holds the UI layout, or if even interchangable.

prolly part of the experimental cloud-saved client settings. You can upload all your client side settings to their servers in the char select screen and presumably download all your ui/macros on another pc. I've only played this on my PC laptop so I haven't had the opportunity to test it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The UI file has been there forever, and it should work switching around. There's various files in there, for your hotkeys, macros, UI and options. They're under character specific folders but iirc last time I moved them they worked just fine.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yea, I just think aesthetically all the FF14 UI elements look like hot garbage. Lol. Wish I could change them for something else, but meh.

I agree though that the base UI can be changed around quite a bit, and customized to how you like it. I guess a functionality thing would be a way to share your UI setups? I don't think that can be done?
what's hot garbage about it? I disabled most everything and have an oversized hotbar grid for cooldowns and that's about it. I like minimalist UI's and FFXIV is pretty much as clean as the cleanest wow mods I remember.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
what's hot garbage about it? I disabled most everything and have an oversized hotbar grid for cooldowns and that's about it. I like minimalist UI's and FFXIV is pretty much as clean as the cleanest wow mods I remember.

Nothing is wrong with the UI it has everything you need minus a DPS tracker and/or DBM installed.

I use Cactbot for raids and that gives me my DPS and call outs but don't talk about it in game or they may get ya.

YoshiP has been pro DPS meter for a while it's someone else in square that has been stopping them from being added to prevent "toxicity"

If they want to prevent toxicity just prevent it from working on roulettes and only have it turn on during savage or extreme content.

It's silly when I see a black mage doing less DPS than a healer but I can't do anything about it because I'm using a forbidden log reader

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think I lol more at dps who die to mechanics than subpar dps tbh.

Trying to kiss up to some discord group to get into the Baldesion Arsenal raid to hopefully upgrade my relics. It's been a bit of a wall for me but I'm fascinated that YoshiP managed to get a "permadeath" raid into the game in 2019. Although considering how many ozma mounts i see all over eureka it can't be all that hard.

Crone

Nothing is wrong with the UI it has everything you need minus a DPS tracker and/or DBM installed.

I use Cactbot for raids and that gives me my DPS and call outs but don't talk about it in game or they may get ya.

YoshiP has been pro DPS meter for a while it's someone else in square that has been stopping them from being added to prevent "toxicity"

If they want to prevent toxicity just prevent it from working on roulettes and only have it turn on during savage or extreme content.

It's silly when I see a black mage doing less DPS than a healer but I can't do anything about it because I'm using a forbidden log reader
Again, my complaint isn't with the functionality other than what you mentioned. It'd be neat to have that stuff in game.

My complaint is with the look of some things. Hover over an item, and the stats page, to me, is terrible. I feel it's hard to read, and isn't very minimalist at all. I'd prefer WoW's items page. The mini icon of items in your backpack, look terrible imo. Maybe it's the graphic style of WoW vs FF? But it's these little things that I wish I could change.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, found out that they got rid of the have Y class at 15 before X class can become X+1 class. That makes me hella happy. Got my THM to 15 and hopped over to ACN. That is such a fun class. Have some nukes! Have some heals! Have a pet! And since my WHM is 35 have another x2 on XP! Took me about an hour to get my 1-10 hunting log done, and I was already 10 without the class quests. Pretty sure I will be playing this to 50 with hunting logs class quests and daily roulettes, and let WHM and BLM catch up with MSQ.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Not being able to compare an equipped item to an item in your bag without right click -> item comparison is pretty dumb.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not being able to compare an equipped item to an item in your bag without right click -> item comparison is pretty dumb.
This is something that you super rarely do though past 50, due to how itemlevel works. I mean I've used it a few times to compare crafted gear to yellow scrip gear or whatever, but I don't think I ended up doing it for combat classes in forever. Every item is super generic and the ilvl formula is constant so 2 items at the same ilvl have the exact same stats amounts, the only thing that'd differ would be which substats are on it and which is the one with the bigger numbers and the one with the lower numbers.