Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
What's the long term viability of this game? Another SWTOR hit max, enjoy leveling, and quit? I really haven't heard or read anything regarding the end-game and that's why I say that.

I leveled up to 9 or so and wasn't impressed by anything, but people say it gets better so I may give it another go... Just not in the mood to hit cap and quit.
I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
What's the long term viability of this game? Another SWTOR hit max, enjoy leveling, and quit? I really haven't heard or read anything regarding the end-game and that's why I say that.

I leveled up to 9 or so and wasn't impressed by anything, but people say it gets better so I may give it another go... Just not in the mood to hit cap and quit.
I can't comment on SWTOR because I quit that at level 5 but it looks to me to be a level to max, dick around for a bit, then level 1 or 2 other classes until you get bored and quit with the possible upside for something more. We should know pretty quickly whether there is anything to do end game because there are multiple servers starting with people who have max level characters. Regardless, I would suggest taking advantage of the game being free during Open Beta and play up to the Ifrit fight. There is no reinvention of the wheel here and if you don't like it by then chances are it's not for you. I can see lv9 not being representative, especially if you play one of the classes that doesn't flesh out until the 20s.

Re: tanks - In p3 Gladiators sucked for the first few dungeons so you'll have to slog it out for a while to play one but by level 35 it had started to even out and even begin to lean in their direction. The Warrior buffs were needed not only because the Paladin traits scale better but theorycrafters were suggesting Marauders might be better tanks than Warriors as constructed in p3.

Crystal Tower and Labyrinth aren't new.
Well, in the sense that the game itself isn't new sure.

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
CT and Labyrinth are new I don't know what he's talking about. There will be 5 primals, the end game 50 dungeons, lvl50 fates (I dont really count this though..), King Mog fight, Hamlets, Grand Company quest line/rank ups, Choco/Pokemon evolving, Relic weapon quests, AF and it's +1 upgrades (according to the latest dats..) and whatever the main scenario has. You'll have to beat the main scen to gain access to the Tower, and beat the Tower for access to the Labyrinth. I think if all you're looking for is casual end game though outside the 50 dungeons and Fates that's pretty much it. There's some sort of ranking system involved with the dungeons ala Aion, but no one knows exactly what it is.

The fact that there's been zero outside testing of pretty much....everything does seem suspect, but most of what they released towards the end encounter wise was bug free. I don't think they can afford to fall back on the content they've promised this time around.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
If eventually I want to play whatever FF's version of the evil knight is, can I still level an archer and switch to that class once its released? Or should I be preemptive and roll marauder like someone mentioned because it will most likely be part of that class?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
If eventually I want to play whatever FF's version of the evil knight is, can I still level an archer and switch to that class once its released? Or should I be preemptive and roll marauder like someone mentioned because it will most likely be part of that class?
Your guy can level up everything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The best way to remember the confusing job/class system is to go "Can I switch to this class and level it?" and then immediately "Yes". You can literally switch to any class and level any class and switch back after and do whatever you want.

tower

The advanced classes will be the same level as your base class (in this case the Marauder). So if you want end game right away level up Marauder. If you want to play as Dark Knight for leveling don't.

This is a bad example because Dark Knight could be put on Gladiator or even a new base class they patch in.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I played Gladiator the first time around and was bored to tears before level 11. The class itself wasn't that fun to me.

I already bought the game on sale so I'll be in for the first month at least. What are some decent classes? I usually enjoy being an evil bastard - usually melee but am thinking more range this time around. I always start with melee in these games so I want to switch it up.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
The advanced classes will be the same level as your base class (in this case the Marauder). So if you want end game right away level up Marauder. If you want to play as Dark Knight for leveling don't.

This is a bad example because Dark Knight could be put on Gladiator or even a new base class they patch in.
Or, if for some reason a Job comes out and your base class for it is maxed out, just go somewhere and level sync down (FATE, guildhest, dungeon) and then you can see what it was like at X level.
wink.png

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I played Gladiator the first time around and was bored to tears before level 11. The class itself wasn't that fun to me.

I already bought the game on sale so I'll be in for the first month at least. What are some decent classes? I usually enjoy being an evil bastard - usually melee but am thinking more range this time around. I always start with melee in these games so I want to switch it up.
I only really leveled Pugilist, dabbled in Glad and Thum but I would recommend giving Pug a shot, to me it felt more engaging since the animations synced so well with the GCD and you start getting a little haste early.

I was also pretty bored on the Glad (and the Thum, though I usually like casters)

Afaik Archer or a caster is your only ranged option.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Well fuck it , am going to do my usual and buy and try it just to play another fantasy mmo even if for month or two.

The Amazon deal is like 29 bucks but then a 5 dollar Amazon credit. Says it gets you a code for early access , that work for the next beta phase also or is it guaranteed open and just need to sign up for it ?

I just seem to remember SE seems to not have the most straightforward account process is reason am inquiring.

tower

I played Glad for a few levels and it was boring. Have heard bad reviews about THM also.

Marauder was fun and Archer seemed good too.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
So once phase 4 or whatever starts it's prime time for grind time because there's not going to be a wipe unless some huge dupe or whatever happens?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, so it makes me curious what "Early Access" really means if there will be an Open Beta that keeps your characters. I guess there will be some downtime between OB and Release, where only Pre-Orders get to continue.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I only really leveled Pugilist, dabbled in Glad and Thum but I would recommend giving Pug a shot, to me it felt more engaging since the animations synced so well with the GCD and you start getting a little haste early.

I was also pretty bored on the Glad (and the Thum, though I usually like casters)

Afaik Archer or a caster is your only ranged option.
Ok cool. Wonder if I can make an evil dark magic guy or archer.

(I know nothing about the job system or class structure - and when I was playing P3 I was clicking through a lot of things to see if the gameplay was solid)

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I should clarify one thing: we don't know if P4 will have literally everything content wise (storyline quests, etc.). Also, in P3 you were halted at the L20 range for the storyline, with a level cap of 35. They could very well still have that in P4.

So I wouldn't necessarily plan on trying for 50 on a class rather than use the time to set up for launch/EA when the guinea pigs flood out into the world.