Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
You guys bitching about your queues pfft. I've been 3102ed since yesterday afternoon. At least you can play
frown.png

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Crashed to desktop just after I started the quests for my second job and 1017'd now. Guess I'm out until early access.

Still, I'm hooked. Everything looks good, 3102s notwithstanding. This game might go places.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sad to say I am too. What little I got play I really enjoyed, but this bug going on 2 days is pretty ridiculous. They better get it sorted out by next week or I unsub out of principle.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Fate, Duty Finder, and Hunting Log, Levequests

You get an exp bonus as well. Let's say you have a 50 Pugulist, and want to level an archer. At level 1, you'll get a real gnarly exp boost because of the distance between the two levels.
Ahh excellent, good to know! I'm gonna try and get a character on Gilgamesh when it officially starts up, most likely going to steam line it for a paladin, or a white mage. I cant decide lol

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
So for those that had access starting on Friday does that also mean early access? I bought the game when it first released and don't really want to pre-order unless I don't get in on the early access.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
I never get 3102 but when i ever try to do anything that uses duty finder i get 9000'd when it tries to port me to the zone.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They said they're working on fixing it, but if they didn't they either a) don't want to force a maintenance when beta is already almost over b) haven't found how to fix it yet.

Anyway, finished alchemy to 20, and managed to HQ the lvl 20 arcanist book right before(so no wasted xp). I kinda like the crafting once you have a bunch of skills, pretty fun shit. Probably won't touch it until I'm 50 on live though. Comparing the stats to the ones on the FFXIVDB website, HQ gear is between Green and Pink quality, so it's pretty good considering the low % of actually getting a weapon for your class in a dungeon, and then the lower % of it being the right quality. Doubly so when you consider the fucking shit queues as a DPS, I guess if you static grind dungeons though you'd get a decent chance of getting a drop and probably shouldn't bother with crafting until endgame anyway.

Also sold a bunch of the shit I collected very quickly on the AH. There's very very little competition, at least on my server. I put like 80 Yew logs I didn't need anymore after farming HQ logs for the book and they sold in like 10mins for 50g each. Considering it only took like 10mins to get them though, and that was only a byproduct of farming HQ, I think it's pretty nice.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
so, for those that are able to get in and play, how is the actual game, what are your thoughts on it at this point?

Erie_sl

shitlord
Good, not great. Thought the only MMO that I've played to 20 that I would call great was star wars, which I quit playing about 10 minutes after I hit level cap and wondered wtf should I do.

Sidhe

<Banned>
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN

Tweets

FINAL FANTASY XIV ?@FF_XIV_EN 7m

If you're still unable to log in, we ask that you please wait and try again later as we work to address the issue for remaining characters.
Expand
FINAL FANTASY XIV ?@FF_XIV_EN 8m

If you have submitted your World/Character Name on the Error 3102 thread we created, please check to see if you can log in.
Expand
FINAL FANTASY XIV ?@FF_XIV_EN 8m

While recovery is not fully complete, we have been able to address a large number of characters that were affected by error 3102. #FFXIV
Expand

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
so, for those that are able to get in and play, how is the actual game, what are your thoughts on it at this point?
Well let's say, it's a decent mmo to play a couple weeks/months. It might be good on the long term assuming content generation is quick but that shit never happens so wouldn't hold my breath.

Things to understand:
- This isn't a new step for the mmo world, this isn't an evolution, this isn't new anything. This is the same old. It has quests, it has soloing, it has standard classes, it has a GCD target based combat similar to wow(but with a 2.5secs GCD), in fact it's very similar to wow, at least from a few expansions ago. If you didn't like wow, chances are you're not going to like this game. It has more group emphasis than wow does however, grouping is better xp, questing isn't as prevalent and in fact there's not too many quests, and there's also fairly good questlines for your class and story(every other quest is a collect bear asses type quests however).

- It has arguably the best art in any mmo, both in terms of music and graphics. However, it is a Final Fantasy, so it has a japanese feel to it, if you're alergic to anime, it'll be hard to enjoy this. It has catgirls and little kid-like beings.

- It has the worst account management and support possible, in typical Square fashion. Supposedly a new system that centralizes everything in an easy to use way is coming, but who knows when, or if it'll actually deliver.

- It's sub based. It also requires a box, if you haven't bought the original. It is however only 20ish bucks using GMG reduction, comes a free month and the sub can be reduced to 13$ a month if you give up your your additional char slots(not a big problem since a single character can be every class).

In conclusion, it's not something to get hyped for, but it's a fairly decent time waster, especially for people who don't mind current gen mmos and are altholics/final fantasy fans. It will disapoint you if you expect anything more or new.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Anyone that expects anything new out of any MMO ever will be disappointed. It's a stagnant genre. If you can be happy with what the games are, though, this is a pretty fun one.