Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well in P3 it was 20, I ended up being 22 by the time I did the GC quest but you definitely get it earlier. Could have gotten it this beta to be honest but I guess they didn't want people wasting their lvl 20 xp so there was only one lvl 20 story quest(which you didn't have to turn in either, I didn't at least, killed Ifrit for progress and stopped there).

As for PvP, I wouldn't put too much faith into it, at least for us europeans the ping is shitty enough that it wouldn't be worth doing, that or their netcode, but shit feels like way out of sync sometimes. I literally cannot cancel any 1s cast spell if I wasn't moving when I started casting it, shit will just finish regardless plus the melees don't have to stand still but pretty much every spell is 2.5secs cast so that makes it pretty stupid to try to kite anything and big hits interupt you, on top of stuns. Oh and they didn't remove limit breaks apparently which is pretty dumb. We'll see but yeah wouldn't count on PvP being worth doing at all.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
PvP will be a sideshow attraction if its anything like FFXI - they never balance it - there is no ladder or gear grind, its kind of for fun and it never impacts how bad ass your PVE abilities might be hurray. PvP not being important is the best thing to happen to an MMO in years. Ruins all the fun items and abilities.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Couldn't agree more, won't touch them as I haven't touched any pvp since the bazaar in EQ that had an arena that I could use while buying/selling. Arenas are the only pvp I miss. Rarely did people go there but it was fun if you got a bunch of different people going, you'd have like 10 lower lvls vs. a max level or something like that.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Just to chime in a few things that I read on the last page. You can change your Grand Company choice and probably will multiple times at high levels when new GC specific gear gets added. Like switching because this item over in this GC is better, etc. Also, PVP is going to have its own skillset. It doesn't right now, as they were just testing it in open beta, but I'm pretty sure Yoshi-P said 2.1 patch would add this. So no kneejerk balancing of classes based on PVP power which is nice. Myself I will be going Uldah GC just for the fact that I was a Bastokian for life in FFXI, and Uldah is FFXIV's Bastok. This game makes me feel like I need to have allegiance to my old nation, lol. That's how into this game I am. Crazy.

Needless

Toe Sucker
If i'm not mistaken, from what i read... those who had 1.0, but did not subscribe for 90+ days to obtain "Legacy" status, don't get the early access next weekend? also, the PSN version doesn't grant early access?

1.0 players receive: Free Copy of XIV, Phase 3 access, 14 day free trial.
1.0 CE players receive: Free Copy of XIV, Phase 3 access, 14 day free trial, Free CE in game items (WoL Helm, Coeurl Mount, Behemoth Barding, Baby Behemoth Minion)
1.0 Legacy players receive: Free Copy of XIV, Phase 1 access, 14 days free trial, Early Access, Lower Subscription Fee, Name in Credits, Legacy Chocobo
1.0 CE Legacy players receive: Free Copy of XIV, Phase 1 access, 14 days free trial, Early Access, Lower Subscription Fee, Name in Credits, Legacy Chocobo, Free CE in game items (WoL Helm, Coeurl Mount, Behemoth Barding, Baby Behemoth Minion)

ARR players receive: Game, 30 day free trial
ARR pre-order players receive: Game, 30 days free trial, Early access, Moogle Cap, Cait Sith Minion
ARR CE players receive: Game, 30 day free trial, Exclusive box, Art book, Seventh Umbral Era Movie, (WoL Helm, Coeurl Mount, Behemoth Barding, Baby Behemoth Minion), Special Soundtrack, Art Card Set, Security Token
ARR CE pre-order players receive: Game, 30 day free trial, Early Access, Moogle Cap, Cait Sith Minion, Exclusive box, Art book, Seventh Umbral Era Movie, (WoL Helm, Coeurl Mount, Behemoth Barding, Baby Behemoth Minion), Special Soundtrack, Art Card Set, Security Token

Digital Standard: Game, 30 day free trial,
Digital Collectors Edition: Game, 30 day free trial, (WoL Helm, Coeurl Mount, Behemoth Barding, Baby Behemoth Minion)
Pre-order Digital Standard or Collectors Edition: Moogle Cap, Cait Sith Minion

1.0 players who want physical item must buy the PS3 or PC version of ARR
1.0 players who want pre-order items can buy PS3/PC version of ARR or Digital version.
1.0 players who want both must pre-order PS3 or PC version of ARR.
Accurate?

Erie_sl

shitlord
Ya if you're a 1.0 owner, you have to spend money to get early access if you didn't get legacy. Either pre-order PS3 version to get code or upgrade to the digital collectors edition (I think for a reduced price?) for the EA code.

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
BARD question-
There was aReddit Postwhere someone claimed Bard switched out Conjurer and added Pugilist. The databases I have seen do not agree with that, and still show Conjurer skills.

I don't suppose any Legacy players noticed anything one way or the other over the weekend?

Thanks

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Current list as far as I know:

Jobs

Bard - Lv30 Archer, Lv15 Conjurer
Skill Set: Archer, Conjurer, Lancer

Black Mage - Lv30 Thaumaturge, Lv15 Arcanist
Skill Set: Thaumaturge, Arcanist, Archer

Dragoon - Lv30 Lancer, Lv15 Pugilist
Skill Set: Lancer, Pugilist, Marauder

Monk - Lv30 Pugilist, Lv15 Lancer
Skill Set: Pugilist, Lancer, Marauder

Paladin - Lv30 Gladiator, Lv15 Conjurer
Skill Set: Gladiator, Conjurer, Marauder

Scholar - Lv30 Arcanist Lv15 Conjurer*
Skill Set: Arcanist, Conjurer, Thaumaturge

Summoner - Lv30 Arcanist Lv15 Thaumaturge*
Skill Set: Arcanist, Thaumaturge, Conjurer

Warrior - Lv30 Marauder, Lv15 Gladiator
Skill Set: Marauder, Gladiator, Pugilist

White Mage - Lv30 Conjurer, Lv15 Arcanist
Skill Set: Conjurer, Arcanist, Gladiator

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any kind of confirmation about the appearance item being able to change your race? I went with the balanced hyur midlander because I figured it would be "ok" at any class, but after having played the game a while I much prefer the casting classes (and maybe interested in muskateer eventually), so would kind of like to change without giving up the 15 or so hours of leveling I've already done.

edit: Nevermind, I just watched the producer video and it used a female human into a male cat as an example. Guess it'll allow a complete change of anything similar to wow's $15 charge.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I want to hate this game and never buy it, but the urge to roll as a monk keeps coming back to haunt me. May have to scratch the old familiar itch.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm 20 and haven't spent any stat points out of fear I'll make the wrong choices and be unable to reset them.

Guess it's time to add GC's to the list.
Guilds are also created under the banner of one of the free companies. Last beta I made Ul'dah. For live I will be making ISIS under Limsa Limosa. It's possible that the battlegrounds may go by guild GC and not individual player, to keep guild groups together.

ixian_sl

shitlord
PvP will be a sideshow attraction if its anything like FFXI - they never balance it - there is no ladder or gear grind, its kind of for fun and it never impacts how bad ass your PVE abilities might be hurray. PvP not being important is the best thing to happen to an MMO in years. Ruins all the fun items and abilities.
If I remember correctly there will be PvP-specific abilities. Here's an interview I dug up:
Towards the end of the interview things got a little more exciting as Yoshida managed to slip us a few more details on PvP. There will be several types of PvP gameplay, and the Coliseum is one of these that involves 4 vs. 4 and 8 vs. 8 matches. This will be available to test in phase 4 of the beta test and introduced with patch 2.0 immediately after launch. A second PvP type is called Frontline.

"This is more like a RvR- Realm versus Realm. This uses whole zones - it's a large-scale PVP."

A frequent problem with PvP in MMOs is maintaining balance. Often, changes need to be made to the classes, skills, and abilities in order to make PvP fair. In turn, this can have a negative influence on PvE gameplay, too, so even those with no interest in PvP can be affected by complications caused by the system. However, it looks like the development team have found a cool way to keep the two completely separate, whilst enabling an interesting form of progression in the PvP experience that players are sure to enjoy.

By winning battles in PvP, players will earn "points" which can be exchanged for PvP specific abilities, skills, and equipment. These can then be used to help you become more effective in PvP. As you continue to be successful, you'll gain better and better rewards that are sure to be awesome in PvP, but don't damage the fun of PvE gameplay.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Steal the ideas that worked well for other games isnt a bad thing. I dont often hear many people complain about DAoC's realm points if ever.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I've been messing with the Benchmark tool, which also lets you create characters, which is kind of cool. At max settings, in 2560x1600 resolution, I'm scoring 6,500 which is "very good". I tried messing with a bunch of settings but nothing would push that score more than a hundred or so points. If I lower the resolution to 1920X1200 I shoot up over 11,000, which is way above the "excellent" score. Looks like I might just have to play in a lower rez if I want all the bells and whistles.

I also noticed some people messing around with SweetFX, the results are varying a lot based on user settings obviously, but they tend to mostly be an improvement. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has messed with these in the past, so I thought I would mention it. Here was the first example thread I saw -http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/enhanc...-visuals.1385/although there are probably better ones out there. I've played several games that REALLY benefited from the use of these in the past, like Skyrim, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, and Kingdoms of Amalur. I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones I really remember as being essential after I had them set up.

Also, what do you guys think, did I nail creepy on either of these?
rrr_img_41012.jpg

Porcelain Doll Cat Girl is definitely the better looking of the two imo, but something about Undead Toddler makes me want to play that. Decisions, decisions.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If any of you give S-E your money launch week you probably deserve what you get. At least wait until a couple weeks in.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I also noticed some people messing around with SweetFX, the results are varying a lot based on user settings obviously, but they tend to mostly be an improvement. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has messed with these in the past, so I thought I would mention it. Here was the first example thread I saw -http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/enhanc...-visuals.1385/although there are probably better ones out there. I've played several games that REALLY benefited from the use of these in the past, like Skyrim, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, and Kingdoms of Amalur. I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones I really remember as being essential after I had them set up.
I used it this last weekend using the settings that Vorph posted. The game looked much better with the tweaks + SMAA over the shitty FXAA that Square uses.