Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
REGION ERROR mother fuckers, not error 3. after you get your code and bypass error 3, you go to apply the code to your account and get another error message saying the code is not for your region.
Yea that's why I'm waiting till they sort this shit out. Tried twice, didn't work and seems everyone else is getting different kinds of errors. I figure if it's Friday and this shit is still going on, then I'll start bitching.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea that's why I'm waiting till they sort this shit out. Tried twice, didn't work and seems everyone else is getting different kinds of errors. I figure if it's Friday and this shit is still going on, then I'll start bitching.
It seems the pre-order redemption code was incorrectly linking all accounts to the EU region, which still wasn't working. Think they should have the shit sorted out shortly.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I notice a big recurring theme with Japanese companies and really terrible network / web implementation... Could this be a direct result of being somewhere behind darkest Africa when it comes to broad adoption of the internet on anything but a phone?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It seems the pre-order redemption code was incorrectly linking all accounts to the EU region, which still wasn't working. Think they should have the shit sorted out shortly.
What's weird is the eu and the na account pages for my account show FFXIV as registered. The SE account page shows the region as 'the americas'. When I log in to the FFXIV main page and go to account settings, it goes straight to the eu page. I think that is where the problems are. I wonder if the people in eu actually succeeded getting in?

velk

Trakanon Raider
As a quick aside to Botanists when you get the chance to harvest Maple Sap (lowish level, it's near Gridania) spend the time to harvest loads of it. It's needed for some key, easy recipes for Culinarian and Alchemist and as it's an easy synth they need a metric fuckton of it. It sells fast for a high price on markets once people know what's what.
It's sold by the culinarian supplier in unlimited quantity for like 4 gil.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't know that, cheers. Wonder if they will remove any of these cheap as chips vendors for live.
They're there to make the first 15 levels of crafting not a complete pain in the ass. There's plenty of that in the next 35 to more than make up for it, do not worry!

velk

Trakanon Raider
What are your thoughts on the tanks? Clearly paladin is going to be the favored main tank for bosses, but can warriors do it well enough to not be a second rate tank? It really seems to me that it's set up to become a bit like EQ's warriors vs. knights, the latter only being good for tanking adds and one-group content while the former is universally the main tank of everything to the point where you wouldn't even bother trying to raid without a warrior MT. I'm really leaning towards making a warrior, but if it's gonna be the reserve tank that nobody really cares about, I'm not gonna bother. With the gigantic difference in defensive properties, it's kind of looking that way; paladins justh ave so insanely superior mitigation and EHP that either there's no way warriors will be able to efficiently tank the same things or paladins will be easymode due to overqualification.
Paladin vs Warrior seems the same kind of setup as WoW DK vs Pal to me - Pal gets 20% damage reduction and chance to block, War gets 25% extra hp and the ability to create damage shields as part of their combo. That could easily swing either way depending on player damage relative to hp at 50 with good gear. The other consideration is that block is useless against magic damage and, I think, ranged damage. My guess would be that they are tweaking numbers with the intention of them being equal - whether that is the case remains to be seen.

( FYI 20% reduction is exactly the same as 25% hp for EHP - with 10k hp, the largest hit you can survive as paladin is 12500 ( x0.8 = 10000 ), largest hit you can survive as a warrior is 12500 )

There's obviously a potential mana efficiency difference, but it's also too early to say if that makes any practical difference - i.e. do healers reasonably run OOM over a fight ? Do they spend 80% of their time overhealing to cater for damage spikes ? etc. etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't see why they'd remove them, you only get the first 2 tiers at the shops, and while the first tier is like 2-4gils for the mats, the 2nd tier is already like 20-30gils for a lot of stuff, which you can already undercut and sell easily if you've been leveling gathering on it. I collected abnout 300cotton balls when I was lvling Botany and I used up all that getting to lvl 20 weaver, iirc balls are 8gils each(they're fairly cheap in comparison to some other stuff) so that's a decent amount. Tiers after that you can't get at all other than gathering so that's when the prices go up. During the last day I sold my excess of Yew logs, which is lvl 20 botany shit and it sold at 50g a piece, made 4000g out of like 10mins of farming shit for HQ mats. I also sold one fo the book I failed to HQ, lvl 20 one, vendors stop at lvl 15 weapons, it sold for 800g even though it took like 40secs to craft and only used maybe 150g worth of mats.

There's definitely big bucks to be made on crafting/gathering I think but I probably won't bother too much. Also if you want to really high lvl craft, you probably don't want to sell mats. You need an insane amount of items to craft to unlock the achievement for the best crafting weapon. Basically it's like 50 1-10 items, 300 11-20 items, 750 21-30 items, 1000something 31-40 and like 3500 lvl 41-50 items. Not sure about the numbers but it's that sort of shit, so at the very least you'll want to keep everything past tier1. I wonder if quick synth counts though, could probably just buy a ton of cotton and quick synth it then resell the yarn for cheap to recoup a few of your costs.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No shit. The lvl 10 gathering quest for botanist was 99 of some logs. I was like, shit, I wish I'd not used those up for carpentry.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I'm 2 boxing and actually really enjoying it. It makes the combat abit more interesting and allows me to work on havest/crafting while i'm doing story mode/instances on the other account. The crafting definitely is going to be abit of chore if you don't have a gatherer. I hit 15-20 on all crafting but alchemy/cullinary and have my other acccount do the gathering so its balanced out. I'm torn, I really wanted to at least focus on weaving or blacksmith to keep up while leveling to 50 to keep materia attached to new gear on my own and fill in weak gear slots with HQ at least for my tank but fuck....I think i'm just going to power rush the BLM & WAR to 50 and gather along the way on the other account when doing story mode/instances so I can power level the crafting after 50.

WAR vs PAL....i hit 20 on both base classes and I was going to go gladiator but after the expereince I am switching to marauder. Its the wrong decision because I still think gladiator is going to be the better raid tank but for the level up I like the marauder play alot better, mainly because of overpower. I'll get PAL up later, i'll be raiding on my BLM anyway unless I need to pinch hit so I'm not overally worried. If i was a person planning on MT for the guild I'd go gladiator even without knowing the general end game raid mechanics nor having played it just based off the last 13 years of MMO raiding and their skill sets on paper.

Lastly, am I the only one confused that a game being developed and ran by a self proclaimed hard core gamer has such fucking shitty communication? I mean seriously, they have done such a horrible job on communicating issues such as when beta 4 was going to be, to the 1302 error, to this pre order shit. There just isn't an excuse when you know you have 500,000 nerds spamming the confirm button over and over for 12 hours not to get communication out sooner. Its just sad because they have such a great game going for them and a great level of polish. How they can fail the simple things is beyond me but they need to learn fast those are the things that can drive paying customers away.