Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I still like HW better than SB overall, but I did like that SB gets you back more towards the main story. The HW story is great, but the Dragonsong War is kind of its self contained little thing that just brings Ishgard into the fold after which isn't anything special (as far as their contributions after that). Agree that splitting SB up into Ala Mhigo and Doma doesn't help, plus the first two zones over in Ala Mhigo you only do half of before coming back later on for the higher level areas in those zones. Makes it feel a little off.

ShB has none of that (save splitting of a couple early zones into a low level area you visit early on only to come back to high level area later again).

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
the x.0 patch of Stormblood sucks ass especially. But I feel it doesn't help as it's just a super slow burn and pretty boring events with Ala Mhigo. The story ramps up pretty good when it leads into closing out and going into ShB buildup. Also the stormblood alliance raids, raids, trials etc are all pretty solid fights/mechanics and some of my favorites still. Hard to go wrong with the retro FF theme in the raids, fighting the phantom train etc.
Yeah Stormblood MSQ is meh, but I like Hien. And then Ivalice Raids, Omega Raids are both great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yda is the Kamala Harris of Eorzea?
Stormblood is literally about two women sucking Zenos' dick for power.

Also am I remembering wrong but didn't Fake Yda have a cockney accent and Lyse has a neutral accent? How does that work?

Malkav

French Madman
I wish we kept Yda instead of getting boring Lyse who somehow got promoted leader just because her father was. Fuck yeah nepotism.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Stormblood is literally about two women sucking Zenos' dick for power.

Also am I remembering wrong but didn't Fake Yda have a cockney accent and Lyse has a neutral accent? How does that work?
Full VA recast between ARR and HW?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Didn't they switch the recording studio also, that's the main reason why everyone got new voices and boy can you tell if you run Coils rofl..

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wow just did the first levelling dungeon in Shadowbringers (The village in Lakeland). This shit is fantastic, really enjoyed tanking it. Where did this rock soundtrack come from?

WoW Shadowlands dungeons are total trash in comparison and this was literally just a burning village being attacked by creepy monsters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Shadowbringers music is masterful. Holminster Switch has wonderful BGM. I am sad that with one of the patches they changed the smaller boss music to a track similar to the main boss music, Insatiable. Still a good track, but it takes away the oomph from Insatiable. For me at least, reaching that first dungeon end boss for the first time and hearing that melody and music for the first time blew me the fuck away. Those drums, dude. Holy shit. You know shit was fucking going down when those fucking drums kicked in.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wow just did the first levelling dungeon in Shadowbringers (The village in Lakeland). This shit is fantastic, really enjoyed tanking it. Where did this rock soundtrack come from?

WoW Shadowlands dungeons are total trash in comparison and this was literally just a burning village being attacked by creepy monsters.

The boss music in ShB dungeons is just amazing. There are some later tracks for certain fights that are even better imo, but don't want to spoil everything and basically all the ShB music is a masterclass. Crystarium at night is just unreal.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Just wait until some of the dungeons as you get closer to/get to 80. They really turn up the "holy shit" factor.

• 1Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For someone coming back to FFXIV after a long break, whats the best way to get back into it? I guess I need to buy old expansions. Will pre-ordering the new one in November fix that for me? When I look at their site, it seems like I won't get access to the current ones until the new one releases?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah if you preorder the next it doesn't unlock until launch which I found out after hah.

Just buy shadowbringers and you'll have the rest.

• 1Like

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider

Soken and the music team went hard with the rock theme for Shadowbringers, which i loved since it helped to add to the "Kicking ass and taking this world back" theme. FFXIV really helped show how background and theme music can really help elevate the game, so many good fucking tracks from ARR all the way to ShB.

They did an amazing job with Holminster Switch; having the twins storylines setup the bleakness and despair around you to then throw you to the wolves in the dungeon and go "Yup, shits fucked yo... Good Luck!" and then you go in there, kick some ass, and banish the Light from Lakeland in an awesome cutscene.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Soken and the music team went hard with the rock theme for Shadowbringers, which i loved since it helped to add to the "Kicking ass and taking this world back" theme. FFXIV really helped show how background and theme music can really help elevate the game, so many good fucking tracks from ARR all the way to ShB.

They did an amazing job with Holminster Switch; having the twins storylines setup the bleakness and despair around you to then throw you to the wolves in the dungeon and go "Yup, shits fucked yo... Good Luck!" and then you go in there, kick some ass, and banish the Light from Lakeland in an awesome cutscene.
Best bit is half way through you leave the forest and walk over the crest of a hill and suddenly see the burning villiage in the distance.

It was like something from a movie instead of just the usual straight dungeon corridors I'm used to.

Malkav

French Madman
Getting to that second boss in Holminster Switch hits hard too, especially if you're running it in a Trust with Alisae.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Getting to that second boss in Holminster Switch hits hard too, especially if you're running it in a Trust with Alisae.
Oh shit, I was waiting for that transformation scene after seeing it posted here when this first came out.

I guess I skipped the cutscene :/