Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Is the linkshell for forum members only?

As for the benchmark, the game seem to be gpu heavy, since I was able to get a fairly decent score on maximum with shadows off with a 660 GTX TI and a piece of shit core2quad cpu.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Wonder if they'll let you upgrade to CE at some point. Sort of regretting not getting it but at the same time i'm pretty sure i'll be bored of the game in a month anyway.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Na you're supposed to get in, then it has the start button greyed out and it says Wait for early access to start. If you're getting wrong id/pass, then it's another issue. Make sure your login ID is well that, instead of your email.
The funny thing is...I keep clicking the "forgot your password/id" button to reset, and the only thing it allows me to reset is my password. It doesn't even tell me what my ID is or was, or a secret question to receive my id or anything. I don't even believe I'm entering the wrong information because I already had this issue before and had to make an entirely new account just to get it to work. This is seriously the most infuriating account/registration service I've ever had the displeasure of having to deal with.

Saban_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_41423.jpg
The funny thing is...I keep clicking the "forgot your password/id" button to reset, and the only thing it allows me to reset is my password. It doesn't even tell me what my ID is or was, or a secret question to receive my id or anything. I don't even believe I'm entering the wrong information because I already had this issue before and had to make an entirely new account just to get it to work. This is seriously the most infuriating account/registration service I've ever had the displeasure of having to deal with.
Try logging in fromhttps://secure.square-enix.com/accou...n?cont=account

should have [JP] in the secure login thingy on the address bar. Shows you your square enix ID

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For once in my life I'm going to be smart and get to bed, so I can be up at 5am ready to go. I said smart!

i didnt play beta so yes i may sound like a newb but are crafters their own class here? like will there be newbs starting out as botanist or w/e? if so how the hell can they level their trade without a combat main? or is it like most mmos where tradeskilling is always a secondary skill

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wonder if they'll let you upgrade to CE at some point. Sort of regretting not getting it but at the same time i'm pretty sure i'll be bored of the game in a month anyway.
Yes, once the 27th hits, you can buy the CE stuff as an add-on for $19.99.

i didnt play beta so yes i may sound like a newb but are crafters their own class here? like will there be newbs starting out as botanist or w/e? if so how the hell can they level their trade without a combat main? or is it like most mmos where tradeskilling is always a secondary skill
Everyone starts as an adventurer class. Once you hit 10, you can change classes (technically it's a story quest that allows you to change, so don't neglect the story quest). At 10, you can technically pick up every single class there is. That's when you can grab the gatherer or crafting classes. You visit the guild and they'll give you the main hand item for that class, and boom...you can now be that class. To change you just switch weapons (or use the gear saves to switch entire gear sets).

I'm going to be irritated if I get up early and the shit crashes immediately. Will probably just sleep on the couch at that point.

ah sorry thought the crafting things were classes not jobs. makes sense.

edit: oh i see what you mean. you have to start out as a combat class. then at 10 you can become a crafter one
smile.png

still havent decided what im going to do. right now i have a few ideas

1. go archer than bard

2. go conj then white mage

3. go archer or conj then go crafter.

decisions decisions!!!!!

ranger/hunter always my fav class in most mmos. 2nd fav is priest/healers. so hard to decide
frown.png

i may just roll archer first time thru game. safe bet ill like the playstyle.

another question: would there be any reason to stay archer instead of going bard? like maybe the archer will still excel in some areas like dps over the bard?

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
- They are their own class, and yes,you can be a tradeskill(s) main if you want. You could start with tradeskills, adventuring, or any mix, in any order, stop, start, change, whatever and whenever you want. There will definitely be some who focus on this before adventuring, and it's totally viable if you're into that sort of thing. There are some monster drop trade skill components that you won't be able to get on your own, but it's not necessarily prohibitive. If you must obtain these, you could use the AH, friends/guildmates, or keep an adventuring class in the right level range and get them on your own.

- Gathering / Disciple of the Land (DoL) classes, which are Mining and Botany, can be leveled without adventuring classes due to a few things: They start you off in areas with gathering nodes that have only neutral/non-aggro monsters. Later on (I went to level 30 botany in phase 3), you can still avoid many monsters, even ones that are aggressive. Additionally, you will have a stealth mode on your gatherer, which doesn't cancel just because you collect from a node. This means you can navigate areas populated with aggresive monsters and still gather. As expected, you will have a movement speed penalty while stealthed, but can use your sprint abillity (all characters have sprint) to somewhat mitigate this. The game is not designed to have the player quickly switch between gathering and a combat class. When you switch from a gatherer to a combat class, your fighting abilities will be on a decent length (I want to say 90-120 seconds) cooldown. So they want you to either avoid monsters or use stealth.

- Gathering nodes are your own and not shared with other players, so you don't need to worry about competition for nodes.

- You can easily have both Disciple of the Hand (DoH), which are your standard production skills (Blacksmithing, for example) and DoL going on at the same time. You may go out and use mining to gather materials for Blacksmithing, for example, on your mining class, and then switch to Blacksmith and make a bunch of stuff to increase your blacksmithing level.

- DISCLAIMER: I have no authoritative info on end game/max level crafting, my experience ends in the L25-30 range for both DoH and DoL.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah Traak, sounds like you might like arcanist. Get to heal and DPS.

^ Just to caveat that last post, like I said, you still need to level a regular class to 10 to unlock class switching. And an example, I have both carpenter and botanist leveled close together. I'd gather 99 logs (on botanist) and immediately convert them to lumber right next to the tree I did last (switch class to carpenter, convert, change back to botanist). Then go grab some more.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ah sorry thought the crafting things were classes not jobs. makes sense.

edit: oh i see what you mean. you have to start out as a combat class. then at 10 you can become a crafter one
smile.png
Yeah you do have to start as a combat class and then level to 10(which only takes a couple of hours, maybe more if it's your first time) before you can become a crafting/gathering class. However from that point on, you don't need to level your combat class further if you don't want to, you can get lvl 50 botanist/miner/fisher while still lvl 10 combat because no combat is involved when gathering. While technically, you will get attacked, you cannot fight back anyway, because you cannot change your class in combat, and you can't fight while you're a gathering class(well you can autoattack for pitiful damage but that won't get you anywhere). The options to gather in areas that have monsters are to either run from the monsters when you aggro them(you can sprint away and get them to leash easily), or use the built in stealth which is basically invisibility, but slows down your movement speed. You can gather stuff while stealthed, so say you're in an area with a lot of monsters around the nodes, you can just stealth and keep gathering. Having a lvl 50 combat class wouldn't help you all that much cause you'd need to swap classes constantly and that puts your abilities on 30secs cd and empties your GP, which would be highly inefficient.

So the gathering classes are entirely independent from the combat classes in terms of leveling up. By extension, for the most part Crafting classes are too, however some recipes require monster drops while the higher level crafting recipes will require raid drops and shit like that to craft raid level gear, so obviously for that you'd need to have a combat class. But you can level both gathering and crafting to 50 without ever touching combat past lvl 10, if you were so inclined.

ye honestly never been a tradeskiller so thought id do something different.

Elurin i had thought about arcanist as well. you see, i have a thing for pet classes (hunter in wow) but i figured there would be an overwhelming number of summoners running around. damn dude, its like the first time i found p99. i think i made every class twice before deciding on a first main. thank god you can switch shit up on ff14
smile.png

i think my safest bet is still archer/conjur, just gotta decide between the two. i plan on playing thru kinda slow at first. i want to get immersed and enjoy the story.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tradeskilling is pretty entertaining in it. There were lots of people who said they normally loathe it, but ended up spending hours fishing.

And yeah, the ability to change on a whim is awesome. When I was leveling up my secondary classes, I could switch to whichever one was closest in level to FATEs that spawned nearby. Or if I saw tradeskill nodes, I could just stop whatever I was doing and grab a few. Or I just finished some quests and want to PL another class, complete them on my strongest class and turn in on a lower one (this requires the 2nd class to be able to receive the quest though, so you can't go too far apart in lvls...but for example, CNJ is harder to lvl than ARC ((at least, outside of FATEs where CNJ owns)) so I can turn in quests that my ARC knocks out really quick).