Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ARR was season 1 of a TV show writing. It pays off in season 4. People like HW because it's when they learned from their mistakes and started trying to make it flow better but now you have dragons and shit. Stormblood got flack because it split between two opposite sides of the world rather than focus and develop one. For some people shinryu normal sucked balls to clear to so they were real bitter as a finale.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Ok, so I wanted to watch Asmon kill Ifrit extreme... I'm watching these attempts. WTF is up with Vulnerability only lasting like 5 seconds?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
The Vulnerability debuff that normally lasts for a minute on anyone it is applied to, seems to be only lasting for 3 seconds on these guys in Amson's group? I dunno, been a while since I did sync'd ARR primals, but I thought any time you got hit by Vulnerability debuff it lasted for a minute and stacked.

Edit: Vuln being the stacking debuff that increases all damage taken.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The Vulnerability debuff that normally lasts for a minute on anyone it is applied to, seems to be only lasting for 3 seconds on these guys in Amson's group? I dunno, been a while since I did sync'd ARR primals, but I thought any time you got hit by Vulnerability debuff it lasted for a minute and stacked.

That short timer you see after the mass rez in Asmon's video is the Transcendent buff which makes you immune while rezzing.

If you look at the other tank, you can see his first debuff - that's the debuff from being rezzed. It reduces Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Mind by 25%.

Healer Level 3 LB doesn't give Rez sickness.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider

Ifrit Ex's vuln stacks (from destroying nails) were always just a few seconds in duration. There's no shenanigans here. Most times you're right, they last longer than that, as a "you got hit by something you shouldn't have" mechanic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

he has mutiple vuln stacks you can get, the short buff is a "blaze debuff" from breaking his Nails.

The other vuln you're thinking is ones you can get the fuck out of the way of, the minute long(or longer) ones.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Doing the Castrum Delibium or whatever it is is fucking cancer. I rather farm the PoTD for the low drop rate Artifact pieces. Last run was one healer in the entire raid and it is so unfogriving with the Doom shit I just clicked off the computer and walked away. First time I've rage quit in years. Piece of shit dungeon. :p

Malkav

French Madman
You mean Delubrum Reginae? It usually depends on how many people in there run correct essences. Obviously, you have to run essences/lost actions yourself too. I always go in there with a Cure equipped, can't beat healing myself.

Aside from that, mechanics are easy once you know them and don't tunnel vision too much.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

You mean Delubrum Reginae? It usually depends on how many people in there run correct essences. Obviously, you have to run essences/lost actions yourself too. I always go in there with a Cure equipped, can't beat healing myself.

Aside from that, mechanics are easy once you know them and don't tunnel vision too much.
Yea that's the one. I just feel it's not worth the effort. It's too annoying when you get zero healers and low amount of essence users.

I'm old and the reward is not worth the work for me at least. Rather just keep level alt jobs and get timeless stuff there.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
After you know it, it is easy. And fun to see beginners die again and again. Granted i am a AST so heal is not a problem, but just equip one heal and you are gtg.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Was explained but basically everytime you kill a nail, everyone gets a very short vuln. This means you can't just mindlessly kill all the nails at the same time, or everyone just dies. It also means for the last nail phase with the big nail, you have to make sure you clear the small nails, then top people off AND wait for vuln to drop before you pop the big nail(or the other way around iirc it also works but makes it somewhat harder). People being fucking retarded about killing different nails at the same time was a good source of wipes back in the days, especially if people killed 2(or worse 3) right before the tank ate a tank buster, which as the old fights used to do, isn't telegraphed it just kinda happens.

This was one of the first use of vuln stacks iirc and they've evolved into something somewhat different in more modern fights, they're basically a badge of "mfer you fucked up" and last a while. These short vulns were somewhat replaced by magic def down debuffs and element vulnerability and such, where you have to do things in order or not too fast to make sure people don't die.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Hold onto that and keep going.
Honestly not very optimistic. When I say the Warriors of Darkness had a thread of potential, I'm referring to the general idea of an "opposite" to the hero's party. Like, if you've ever played or watched dungeons and dragons, often times groups will all have good aligned characters and pretend to be good, but in reality their deeds are usually pretty fucked up. They are psychopaths and murderers and thieves and they just pillage and loot wherever they go, even if they don't RP it as such. I always thought it'd be cool to have an NPC party come along trying to hunt them down because in reality the player party are the true monsters.

I thought they might go somewhere along those lines. Not necessarily that the player or scions are monsters, but something. Instead they had "cliche dark" characters. If these people are just doing the best they can, for their world, why do they act so fucked? I get having a chip on your shoulder or being sarcastic or dark or more pragmatic, but the warriors of darkness were just kind of cringey "evil" for the sake of it, until suddenly they weren't, because, surprise! they're actually good and have no choice!

It was really bad, but had great potential. I guess they'll be coming back, but I'm not very excited unless the writing changed dramatically.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Shb 5.0 actually does have drastically changed (good) writing, from someone who thought the rest of the story was bad to mediocre. It falls off a cliff again after 5.0 though.

(There’s a few other decent bits - drk story, archer 1-30 story, etc).

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Honestly not very optimistic. When I say the Warriors of Darkness had a thread of potential, I'm referring to the general idea of an "opposite" to the hero's party. Like, if you've ever played or watched dungeons and dragons, often times groups will all have good aligned characters and pretend to be good, but in reality their deeds are usually pretty fucked up. They are psychopaths and murderers and thieves and they just pillage and loot wherever they go, even if they don't RP it as such. I always thought it'd be cool to have an NPC party come along trying to hunt them down because in reality the player party are the true monsters.

I thought they might go somewhere along those lines. Not necessarily that the player or scions are monsters, but something. Instead they had "cliche dark" characters. If these people are just doing the best they can, for their world, why do they act so fucked? I get having a chip on your shoulder or being sarcastic or dark or more pragmatic, but the warriors of darkness were just kind of cringey "evil" for the sake of it, until suddenly they weren't, because, surprise! they're actually good and have no choice!

It was really bad, but had great potential. I guess they'll be coming back, but I'm not very excited unless the writing changed dramatically.

Like he said, keep going. Shadowbringers covers a lot of this - To the point where you start finding understanding in why the antagonist does what he does and the reasoning he has based on his position.

• 1Faggotry

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is why Paladin is the most underrated DND class to play as. It lets you RP as a complete and total asshole at all times. Especially if you follow total dickhead Good deities like Helm in Forgotten Realms.

It also creates tons of hilarity as you sabotage your more level headed party members ambitions for phat loots for the Greater Good.

• 1Solidarity

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol what a joke.

I knew when they tossed the eyes of Nildhog off the bridge that they'd be back. That was so dumb. I really, really hate idiot plots. Where characters do things that nobody with even the slightest semblance of common sense what do. It is incredibly lazy writing and it really takes me out of it. When they tossed the eyes off the bridge I literally laughed and typed in my FC that I'm sure that was a good idea, and it wouldn't come back to bite everybody in the ass.

I'm sorry I'm not trying to rag on this game, but after being told over and over how good the story is, it's hard not to rant about it when you experience the opposite. I'm still having a ton of fun playing the other parts of the game and some of the story is okay, and I'm really glad the game is succeeding, but wow I sometimes feel like I'm in the Matrix with everybody sucking the story off and all I'm seeing is really bad, lazy, cliche writing with hugely inconsistent voice acting and out of place voice acting and blah blah blah.

• 1Dislike

Malkav

French Madman
That's why everyone hate plot nitpickers at parties.

It's not an issue with the game if the story is not to your taste while the vast majority enjoy it.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
That's why everyone hate plot nitpickers at parties.

It's not an issue with the game if the story is not to your taste while the vast majority enjoy it.
We should strive for better. This is why people don't take video game story seriously. Just allowing the bar to sit so god damn low. There is literally no excuse for writing this lazy. Why? Why not strive to do better? You enjoy it, but how much more would you enjoy it if it was more realistic? I'm not talking Game of Thrones type realism, I'm talking basic human condition shit and basic human behaviour.

Oh, look, we got the bad guy's super powerful super evil weapon! We can just sort of drop that anywhere, right? We shouldn't go to any effort to properly hide/guard/destroy it? Oh, look, the bad guy almost killed me, but I got a lucky shot in! It's probably fine if I turn my back on them while they are right behind me, right? No reason to make sure they are dead?

This is not nitpicking. These are serious, huge flaws that are very, very lazy. Nitpicking is saying you're sick of stories about dragons, you want something new! Nitpicking is complaining about a side character that you don't identify with personally. Nitpicking is complaining about differences in taste. I don't think it is some weird niche taste complaint to want writing that isn't lazy. How is tossing an evil, very dangerous powerful weapon that you don't want to fall into enemy hands off a bridge not lazy? The whole reason you write it that way, is so you can very easily use it later. Without any real effort or development. The problem is, these characters are supposed to be intelligent heroes, not morons.

God damn the average gamer truly is a degenerate. I guess nobody reads books anymore because nobody seems to care about good writing. It's the same with a lot of modern TV/Movies. Just lazy as all hell.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 5 users