Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't think they'll ban over that, that'd go against what they usually do. Although Cactbot and such are beyond the scope of what the devs explicitely said they don't care about, as long as they're not actively harassing other people with them or obviously cheating, I don't think they'll do anything and they really shouldn't.

I checked the stream for like 5mins of that maximum guy though and it was pretty weird, like he was trying to figure out how much he'd have to call out as a "raid leader" and was lamenting that in wow he has an addon that lets him makes memos on screen so he can do better callouts but in XIV he can't do that and ppl were telling him ppl don't really do mechanics the same way, like you don't get a boss skill and you call x y and z you go stack for that and pop a cooldown, you just say the mechanic is coming and people are expected to know who goes to stack and if they need to pop a cooldown or not, and he was like "oh wow that's gonna be so easy wow is so much harder to raid lead". Like if you've done any savage, people will paste those diagrams shit and you call your spot and you basically know where you have to go and do for every mechanics just with that and the voice calls really only matter if shit's going wrong and you have to adapt.

But do people really need to be told to use their defensive cooldowns when soaking some big dmg skill in the first place in wow? World first raiders at that? Seems kinda weird to me but haven't really checked wow raiding, surely tanks know how to press their buttons to survive big hits without someone telling them though right? I get losing track of the big hits that's why the raid lead calls the mechanics out, but after that I feel people should know how to resolve them?

In XIV on cutting edge content, tanks and healers will plan their cooldown usage with their co-tank/healer for a given fight(so you don't overheal with oGCDs or overmitigate and such) but people kinda know what they need to do on their own.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how it goes tbh, because on one hand I don't think it'll go too bad, raids really aren't that hard especially if you have someone with cactbot calling all the mechanics ahead of time, but on the flipside it'd be pretty funny if it did go poorly even with cactbot.
FF14 is more consistent in base mechanics so you get better at raids the more of then you do.

For example most bosses past a certain point have a tank buster and unavoidable raid wide AoE as gear/skill checks for the tanks and healers. So when tanking I always look up the name of the tankbuster so I can pop a cooldown before it.

WoW every boss is different so there's no core skillset you gain other than doing your rotation.

FF14 has different mechanics on each boss too, so it's a hybrid of dealing with new mechanics and dealing with base mechanics.

So these WoW raiders are used to being told what to do by raid leader/mods, they lack the base skills.

Then you have red mage girl who can't do her rotation either and is out damaged by the healers lol

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
But do people really need to be told to use their defensive cooldowns when soaking some big dmg skill in the first place in wow?
There is this one clip where a weakaura goes wrong and constantly blasts an airhorn, which led to a wipe. It was a tank PoV. Can't find it though, because I didn't care to download it.

Watch this for a minute to get a feel to what great lengths the WoW guilds go with their addons:

Also, I don't know if its true, I don't even know who Paprika is, but:

1628758788099.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Cactbot definitely goes against the statement of them going in blind though.
Oh yes absolutely, I think at this point it doesn't look like they're going in blind though if they're already looking into cactbot and ACT triggers, but maybe they just want to set them blank to do their own triggers, which I guess is ok. I just don't know how much the "casuals" in the party are prepared to do blind raiding though, while I'd say XIV raiding is pretty easy, blind raids still take a ton more effort than watching a guide or two and I'm not sure if everyone's going to be willing to put 14hours a day wiping and stuff.

Personally I don't care if they watch guides, that'd be fine in my book and it's be probably a lot better anyway, less whining about the chat spoilers and whatever else and then the drama of one guy looking up a mechanic and trying to pretend they came up with it or whatever, just check the guides and do the raids, especially with less skilled players you already have a handicap.
FF14 is more consistent in base mechanics so you get better at raids the more of then you do.

For example most bosses past a certain point have a tank buster and unavoidable raid wide AoE as gear/skill checks for the tanks and healers. So when tanking I always look up the name of the tankbuster so I can pop a cooldown before it.

WoW every boss is different so there's no core skillset you gain other than doing your rotation.

FF14 has different mechanics on each boss too, so it's a hybrid of dealing with new mechanics and dealing with base mechanics.

So these WoW raiders are used to being told what to do by raid leader/mods, they lack the base skills.

Then you have red mage girl who can't do her rotation either and is out damaged by the healers lol
Sure I guess but I mean in his example he used a specific mechanic in the last Shadowlands raid, some "chains" shit that from what I understood is basically stack markers and you split 3x2 people on each marker and pop some cooldowns(not too sure what cooldowns mind you) and I felt it was weird cause you'd just maybe call like "group 1 and group 2 you take the markers" instead of individually calling each of them, and then people should be expected to pop their cooldowns on that specific mechanic because... they always pops their cooldowns on it anyway so that's why I'm not sure why they have to be told to do it. And then I don't know about doing such a complex call anyway in XIV, since mechanics just usually come one after the other, or if there's a break it's usually because the next mechanics is going to require quick thinking to resolve instead of an early call, which is why people pre-assign stuff prepull. Like on E10S if you try to call the balls groups instead of just following a preset pattern, you will just wipe because the ability is resolved in like a second and everyone has to position properly.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No add-ons is one of the top things I like about 14. Having a game being tuned to some 3rd party shit is horrible.

Now I'm no raider and the default ui could probably evolve a little but I like it the way it is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, you litterally have to be on the ball for E9S balls. I sure don't think Cactbot can even tell you what to do in this case, you have to figure it out for yourself. That's my point about personnal responsibility earlier : from what I've seen of Naguura and depending on the other "casuals", I honestly think this kind of thing it may be a real struggle for them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, you litterally have to be on the ball for E9S balls. I sure don't think Cactbot can even tell you what to do in this case, you have to figure it out for yourself. That's my point about personnal responsibility earlier : from what I've seen of Naguura and depending on the other "casuals", I honestly think this kind of thing it may be a real struggle for them.
Yeah cactbot doesn't do balls, it's not that hard since you just follow a priority system or just follow your healer if you have no idea, it was more like while you know balls is coming a while before, you basically can't call anything besides "get ready for balls" cause they spawn in random spots and you have to go stand in specific spots. And a lot of mechanics are like that, they either happen too fast one after the other so you can just call the mechanics, or they resolve too fast with some randomness so you can't call any specific thing besides what was pre-decided. I guess you can remind ppl which group they're in by reading the macro again but that feels pretty redundant.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Tank @maximum - GM/RL of the world #2 guild <Limit> (Dark Knight)
Tank @Naowhxd - MT in the world #1 guild <Echo> (Gunbreaker)
Melee @Awesome2daMax - Fury Warrior for world #3 guild <Pieces> (Ninja)
Ranged @JFunkGaming - Windwalker Monk for top 100 world guild <Humble> (Bard or Dancer, he hasn't decided yet)
Caster @LimitKams - retired <Limit> Warlock (Summoner)
Caster @Naguura - lmao (Red Mage)
Healer @DatModz - only known for playing ARPGs like D3 and PoE (Astrologian)
Healer @DGLumi - married to Kams, the retired raider (Scholar)

Meanwhile:
View attachment 366522

View attachment 366524

4chan being 4chan:
View attachment 366526

View attachment 366525
DatModz is a mythic raider in WoW and has played WoW since its release. Can still catch him streaming classic WoW on occasion. Never seen him do a healer however so that will be interesting.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Do these plugins work like GINA, just monitoring the combat log file, or are they actually grabbing the data from running memory?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Do these plugins work like GINA, just monitoring the combat log file, or are they actually grabbing the data from running memory?
Both. The basic ACT plugin can monitor network traffic, or can read the memory of the game. This is read-only.

XivLauncher plugins inject themselves into the memory of the game, complete with their own UI.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
GINA/GamParse are pretty unoffensive since they just do audio alerts/overlay based on combat log entries that are being written out to disk through normal client behavior. Sniffing network / reading memory starts to cross the line into 'third party' grey area.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, from what I read somewhere it's capable of reading boss abilities ID from the network traffic and can point out which version of the ability it is (some mechanics have the same name while being casted but have different effects depending on the boss animation, but all of them have a different ID).

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Nevermind the fact that there are some mech that don't show themselfs in the combat log tell it's too late...

See E9S and her ability too "buffer" mechs they don't even show up in the log till she starts the motions for them and by that time if you're not in the correct positions it's a fucking wipe, the tells come from her body...

Yes there is alot of callouts for 14, but if you know the fights, and how mechanics work you'll have no problem.. I wonder if they'll try E8S Light Rampant would tear them apart for weeks *laugh*

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Is there some secret bonus storage that the MLG big dick players know about that I'm missing? Only ones i know about atm are the 4 bags of 140 slots + 70 slots in the chocobo saddlebag. Was thinking maybe I could dump stuff on a retainer but not actually list it on the marketplace? Running into invnetory issues atm as I try to get all my gather/crafters up to ~40.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there some secret bonus storage that the MLG big dick players know about that I'm missing? Only ones i know about atm are the 4 bags of 140 slots + 70 slots in the chocobo saddlebag. Was thinking maybe I could dump stuff on a retainer but not actually list it on the marketplace? Running into invnetory issues atm as I try to get all my gather/crafters up to ~40.
Retainers have additional inventory yeah, it's kinda the first option iirc? They have a bunch of bags each, they're basically your bank. You can also list some of the items(10 per retainer) at high price to get a few more "slots" but that's a fair few slots with the inventory, chocobo slots, retainer slots(70 each? forgot) and then armory for all your equipment, or well up to like 24items per slot.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I'm a bit confused on how to make my squadron better. I'm stuck on the level 40 mission to rank them up or what not, but I don't have any combination of dudes to hit all three requirements. This is the closest I think I've gotten, so I'm not that far off (and I know I still need to get people to level 40 first), but what the heck do I do to actually get them more raw stats? Leveling up doesn't seem to do anything in that regard.

ffxiv_08122021_232121_686.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's just levels, get more levels and they'll get a few more stats and eventually you have enough. If you add up all their stats you'll see your 41 has a few more points than 39 and 38 a couple less than these. Your squadron rank is maxed(280/280 on the top right) so nothing left there for now. If you have the squadron mission thing where you do dungeons, iirc that shit's kinda fast to level them up and you can use it to level your own chars too.