Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure why you guys are shitting on them after like 3 days of raiding. Give them a month and see where they are at. Sheesh.
Not sure why you care. Personally, I don't want to see the WoW world first race clown circus come to FFXIV.

Meanwhile Max promotes this "it's ok to boost, not learn about the game, its culture, and its mechanics, you can still succeed" mentality into the minds of a lot of his WoW ... let's just say "fans". And those people can fuck right off, because those are breeding grounds for what 4chan calls the "WoW metaslave parsetranny" PUG mentality.

At some point Square Enix will step in and ban the "darker shades" of the addons for FFXIV, e.g. the XivLauncher injection stuff and XivAlexander. Which, of course, they promoted without any shame to a wider audience. An audience that does not know anything about the FFXIV culture and the "Gentleman's Agreement" we had with Yoshi-P about addon usage.
INJECT XIVAlexande DIRECTLY INTO MY COCK.jpg

1629206293020.png

Injecting lots of cash via sponsorships and prize pools will breed that toxicity. And trust me, Square Enix will bring down the banhammer pretty hard once the PS4/PS5 players complain that they can't compete. They already did. And this will become a real culture shock for them:
1629205830902.jpeg

Also:
1629205904159.png

1629205955607.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
It's funny to see how different the approaches Max and Asmongold took to the game worked out. Both were seen as harbingers of doom and were being shit on when they first started. Asmongold embraced the story, reading all the dialogue out loud and spending a week clearing the ARR raids before moving on to the next xpac, got mired in Chocobo racing and Golden Saucer mini games and plays non-MSQ/alt jobs on his Zachrawr channel. Max comes in, boosts and immediately loads up xivlauncher.

The vibe has definitely changed away from hating Asmongold (except the usual extremist weirdos), but it doesn't seem to be changing for Max and co. They are pretty universally hated in the scene except for the few kumbaya, standardless omegas who can't handle anyone being mean.

There is nothing wrong with Max and his team, but this 'inclusivity is the only virtue' horseshit that's been going around leads to the complete death of any community's identity. If it's "gatekeeping" to correct new members of the community on the standards, expectations and values of the existing community, then gatekeeping is the only thing that will keep your community from becoming a complete wasteland.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could have every add on and weak aura you want, I guarantee you won't be getting Cutting Edge. Mythic is tuned around the world first guilds and then slowly nerfed / soft nerfed with player power mechanics. Even then, my raid group is comprised of some very good players, but consistently fail to get CE because they only want to raid twice a week.
Mythic is designed around those CE guilds running every conceivable add-on that will do everything short of playing the game for them.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's been bad enough recently that the WoW refuge's are starting too hit HW/SB trials and 24-man raids, it's gotten really ugly with the ass hat's who sit there and think this is still wow.

It's not WoW this game is different you don't need addons if you've played thru the story and the beginning mech's of the game you'd realize it.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
It's been bad enough recently that the WoW refuge's are starting too hit HW/SB trials and 24-man raids, it's gotten really ugly with the ass hat's who sit there and think this is still wow.

It's not WoW this game is different you don't need addons if you've played thru the story and the beginning mech's of the game you'd realize it

The new players are catching up in ShB too. Trying to level my other tank jobs and had one in Holminster Switch. Guy couldn't keep me alive with a single group of trash mobs and I'm rotating through all my cooldowns for full uptime. I've had healers sleepwalk heal me for wall to walls in pretty much every dungeon after ARR so it's getting to THAT point. Hell it's always been easy enough I get lazy on CD's when the healer is good.

I just don't understand why all the brand new players and their inbred cousins insist on playing critical roles like healers/tanks for their first job. DPS queues aren't 30+ minutes like in wow. Most of my DPS queues have always been 5 min or less. Sure tank and especially healer are faster, but they need to shelve their ADHD a little and figure stuff out first.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I fell into the same trap. Came back, wrapped up 5.0 quests and then needed ilvl to enter the next dungeon. Decided to max out crafting/gathering instead.

With self gathering and ishgard restoration (casual attire coffer$$$) I'm net positive gil and wrapping up a few facet quests today.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I mentioned that I'm levelling all the classes up simultaneously, currently at ~lv35. Seeing people post their job progress makes me think that a quick job review would be helpful for people just starting out.

Keep in mind I'm only just unlocking job abilities so some of this will change later on, also not reviewing lv50 and lv60 jobs. I am reviewing the 3 Heavensward jobs but they unlock at lv50 despite starting at lv30.

Tank:
S Teir: Maurader
A Teir: Gladiator/Dark Knight

These are all pretty similar in how they tank, turn on tank stance and mobs stick to you. Spam AoE for groups or a single target for bosses The difference is that Maurader has an ability which gives you 100% crits for a few seconds, it feels amazing. Tank queues are not instant but are quick.

Healer:
SS Teir: Arcanist
C Teir: Astrologian/Conjurer

Healers are boring to level up solo but fun in dungeons with instant queues, only level them up in dungeons don't waste your MSQ on it. Arcanist starts as a DPS job and at 30 splits into a Healer job Scholar and DPS job Summoner, which share the same exp gauge. Scholar also has a pet that auto heals which frees you up in low level dungeons for doing DPS.

Magic DPS:
SS Teir: Arcanist
A Teir: Thaumaturge

See above for Arcanist, it also has the highest DPS and most abilities early on (it's basically a WoW Warlock). Thuamaturge has early AoE which is important for fast dungeon clears but the rotation is over complicated in my opinion.

Ranged DPS:
A+ Teir: Machinist
A Teir: Bard

Bard is boring but it has one of the earliest AoE abilities for fast dungeons. Machinist feels better than Bard in every way and also has that AoE. If you want to kite and solo stuff at full DPS these classes are what you need.

Melee DPS:
B Teir: All of them.

They feel good to play but they lack early AoE with Pugilist the earliest getting it around lv30. Lancer has more life gain. Rogue has stealth and the easiest rotation to start, but at lv35 it suddenly gets complicated.

TLDR: If you like Tanking or Melee DPS play Maurader to start. If you like Healing, Casting or Ranged DPS play Arcanist to start. Follow this advice and you'll never suffer the DPS queue (except 1-30 for Arcanist, but that's quick levelling).

What I've posted will change as you unlock more abilities past lv35, but you can switch to other jobs quite easily, especially since some start at lv30, lv50 and lv60.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I really wasn't feeling Rogue/Ninja until I got the 2nd Ninja skill and unlocked Raiton and the Fireball, which was pretty much around the same as Death Blossom aoe. Syncing down to any dungeon I don't have either of those AOEs feels reaaaal bad. Still only 42 but I'm digging the ninjutsu weaving, barring when I get Slow'ed and don't notice the GCD increase and accidentally rabbit myself overcompensating.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Hit level 42 last night and unlocked summoner, still not sure what things I should focus on besides leveling.

But I hope to god the questing gets better after the base game or whatever its called.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hit level 42 last night and unlocked summoner, still not sure what things I should focus on besides leveling.

But I hope to god the questing gets better after the base game or whatever its called.
The questing gets A BIT better, but it's still questing. The story gets better so it makes the quest less annoying, but ultimately most quests are still "Go talk to that guy, kill a couple of trash mobs, talk to that other dude, eh here's a solo instance where you'll likely fight 3waves of trash enemies then a boss that's really easy" kind of stuff. There's less quests overall and less filler running around quests in the expansions though.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Just get the main quest done, it's much better in Heavensward.

If you outlevel the enemies the main quest presents you, level another class as there's enough exp from it to level more than one, especially if you do multiple dungeons.

Argarth

On the verandah
My 2 cents on leveling / questing / boosting etc, after more than 3 years away.

Last time I played, started with a MRD/WAR, and though the job felt fun/powerful even early on, I got to ~ half way through the ARR MSQ (I think) and really started to struggle. Anyways, short version, I story boosted to the end of Heavensward, and Job boosted the Warrior to 60. I realise the MSQ has been somewhat streamlined since then, but I've watched the story through to the end of HW on YouTube, so I feel pretty well caught up in that regard. No regrets.

Realised soon afterwards I didn't want to play Warrior anymore, leveled some other jobs into the 30s/40s, couldn't commit to any of them (50 RDM incl.), and then quit. Finally wanted to mention that PoTD/HoH for me is just not an option. I've tried it a couple of times, and never want to set foot in there again. The fact that it even needs to exist is an issue in my view.

So, this is what I've come back to, and determined not to spend countless more hours futzing around on low/mid level jobs trying to decide which one(s) to take to cap first. I've spent hours on YT, watched nearly all of WeskAlber's leveling series, among others, and finally settled on PLD / WHM / NIN.

Even with the Armory Bonus + 30% Novice Ring + Food, leveling pace (FATES) really starts to bog down in the late 20s, but it's fine with WHM obviously due to fast dungeon queues. No way I was going to start from scratch with the NIN, especially since my MSQ is already complete to the end of HW. Also a little concerned about my ping, but given that oceanic server(s) are on the way, I really wanted to find out what the NIN felt like with (nearly) the full toolkit.

Boosted the NIN to 70, and spent a good few hours on the dummies, in the field, keybinds/bars etc. Finally got some muscle memory happening, and memorising the Mudras/Ninjutsu combos, opener etc. and then it all finally clicked. Holy shit, this is just the most awesome melee DPS class I think I've ever played in an MMO. The ability effects/animations/sounds as things go off are just amazing and feel so impactful. It has a quazi-ranged side to it that adds even more flavour. No idea what it was like before the latest re-work, but I'm in love.

Couldn't have possible guessed it was going to feel this good, even after all the research I did. Equally, I could have hated it I suppose, and after running through some lower level content where several abilities go missing, it really feels quite different and just doesn't flow the same way. At worst it would have been a few dollars lost and a ton of time saved.

Probably boosting a PLD next at some stage, but I'm going to keep spamming dungeons on the WHM, so I get to see them all, and re-do all the big fights. When I finally get the WHM to 60, I'll share around the remainder of the MSQ to 80. And then there's also the Trust system from 71 to 80. Apparently pretty good for leveling as well, haven't tried it out yet.

To borrow from Gordon Gekko... Boosting is good. Boosting is right. Boosting works. Boosting clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of perhaps your next favourite job. I also really like how seamless Level Sync is in this game, another helpful tool. Just wish that FFXIV had something like the Class Trial in WoW.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
To borrow from Gordon Gekko... Boosting is good. Boosting is right. Boosting works. Boosting clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of perhaps your next favourite job. I also really like how seamless Level Sync is in this game, another helpful tool. Just wish that FFXIV had something like the Class Trial in WoW.

Do PoTD to floor 50(This is all you need to do) .

Unlock Job you wanna play around with, go to PoTD 51+ , You'll start at lvl60 inside the dungeon you can run it over and over there is no penalty for it just you're lost time, there You're Class Trial that's been in the game sense Palace of the Dead was released.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
I've boosted a few jobs over the years, because sometimes fuck leveling some alt jobs for a role you already know. I started tanking in SHB with Gunbreaker and boosted WAR/PAL/DRK because i didn't want to subject myself to dungeon spam.

Only exception is healer, since I've never played healers in MMO previously, I decided to level WHM the old fashioned way to actually learn it progressively.