<WoW Guild Officer>
This restaurant sus

20220119_210638.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The wife and I both play controller, I'm always interested to see how others set theirs up. My wife's was so bad before I helped her, she just left everything where it automatically slotted itself as she was leveling, was missing some abilities from her bars all together. She has become a much better player since, still getting better, which is definitely a good thing. I feel like I do really well playing with controller, but I main Samurai, so not exactly rocket science.

I play on PS5 but have a wireless keyboard connected up. Beyond chat I just use it for the F keys when healing/targeting for Shirk/Intervention etc.

I really don't ever want to heal by tab targeting/cursor scrolling ever again.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
On pad you can set soft targets, you just use up and down to move the selection to the target, hit an oGCD and it'll go to that without losing your main target. With mouse, you can use janky macros, or you have to switch. With the fairly long GCD though it's not really a problem imo. Also A LOT of the oGCDs you use in raid settings are just aoes anyway, so don't need to target shit. Every now and then you need to oGCD the tank, so clicking them or using target of target for macros/targetting is good enough. Can also use focus targets or just click the enemy in the encounter list, everyone has their own ways to do it. I think there's some plugin for wow-like mouse over not sucky targetting too if you really can't get into the XIV way, but honestly there's not that much targetting in most fights.
I have a few macros that do the same ability with mouseover > focus target > target of target > target > self as the priority. The issue with queuing seems to be more with things that are important to keep rolling like dps GCDs. Things like Shirk, Cover, Intervention, TBN, etc all seem fine to have in a macro. The only annoying part is that when everything is a macro you lose the tooltips.

I guess I was wondering if oGCD heals work fine in mouseover macros. I'm still not 100% how the macros interact with queuing. Is it just that you can't hit them 25% prior to the GCD being up and have them fire? Seems like queuing is a non-issue for oGCDs?

Malkav

French Madman
I have a few macros that do the same ability with mouseover > focus target > target of target > target > self as the priority. The issue with queuing seems to be more with things that are important to keep rolling like dps GCDs. Things like Shirk, Cover, Intervention, TBN, etc all seem fine to have in a macro. The only annoying part is that when everything is a macro you lose the tooltips.

I guess I was wondering if oGCD heals work fine in mouseover macros. I'm still not 100% how the macros interact with queuing. Is it just that you can't hit them 25% prior to the GCD being up and have them fire? Seems like queuing is a non-issue for oGCDs?

There is absolutely no queuing for macro.

On top of that, macro activation is finicky and may have activation delay. If used on oGCDs, you have a higher risk of clipping it into your GCD while using a macro.

Chris

Potato del Grande

I had all that macro shit in Stormblood, but you can't be losing 0.5s on starting casts all the time.

I only have macros on ground targeting (cast at target, otherwise cast at me) and Afflatus Misery (WHM DPS spell that's procced by healing spells), since ground targeting or swapping targets on those will be a time loss anyway.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I only use macros for crafting. I tried them for combat, such as target 2, shirk, but it's too unreliable. I'd have to button mash the macro to make sure it went through. Found it easier to just F2 shirk.

Even for stuff like announcing when you use superbolide, I had to put a delay in the macro before doing the actual announce, since I had to button mash to make sure the invuln went off I didn't want to spam the group as well.

Malkav

French Madman
I only use macros for crafting. I tried them for combat, such as target 2, shirk, but it's too unreliable. I'd have to button mash the macro to make sure it went through. Found it easier to just F2 shirk.

Even for stuff like announcing when you use superbolide, I had to put a delay in the macro before doing the actual announce, since I had to button mash to make sure the invuln went off I didn't want to spam the group as well.

To make them more reliable you can put the action line a bajillion times in the macro like:
Code:
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>
/ac Shirk <2>

But yeah, at this point if you want true mouse over/target keybinds might as well use plugins.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've main and offtanked everything in Endwalker other than Savage and never used Shirk once lol. There is a tank swap on Trial 1 and Provoke works every time.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I've main and offtanked everything in Endwalker other than Savage and never used Shirk once lol. There is a tank swap on Trial 1 and Provoke works every time.

Shirk isn't to shed aggro to the 2nd tank. Shirk is what you cast after they provoke so you don't overtake them again with your superior DPS

Being a controller player I guess you don't have that problem though ;)

• 6Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 7 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Shirk isn't to shed aggro to the 2nd tank. Shirk is what you cast after they provoke so you don't overtake them again with your superior DPS

Being a controller player I guess you don't have that problem though ;)
No, I just did it all as a Paladin which I think is the lowest DPS tank.

I'll keep that in mind if I do anything on Gunbreaker thanks (or if I level one of the others), however I vastly prefer Paladin as it feels very safe to have that penalty free invincibility and healing spells.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I always toggle off tank stance as well, is it necessary once swaps happen if you shirk in between? I've randomly gone from OT to MT enough times that I just practice an abundance of caution. Playing PLD but usually outdps the other tanks because I am a melee dps at heart.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I've had a few tank swaps on zodiark where I would taunt, and the other tank (usually a WAR, thanks to their insane aggro) would pull aggro back 5 seconds later and die because they still have the debuff on.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I always toggle off tank stance as well, is it necessary once swaps happen if you shirk in between? I've randomly gone from OT to MT enough times that I just practice an abundance of caution. Playing PLD but usually outdps the other tanks because I am a melee dps at heart.

Unless the other tank is a drooling retard you don't have to toggle off no.

On Zodiark it matters because if you take aggro back after he casts Ania on you he'll oneshot you.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it matters on every fight you have to tank swap for, some you don't really have to(for example P1S) so it kinda doesn't matter, just annoying with the boss flipping around and what not.

That said even if you're PLD you can pull aggro up after a provoke depending on when it happens on your rotation and the other tanks. If you're doing big sword shit and the other tank is doing 123, you'll do more damage at that point. You shirk to solidify the tank swap and there's no fuckery. You can turn off your tank stance though that does pretty much the same thing, but you then have to remember to turn it on every time you need to swap back again, and if you forget it leads to bad shit especially if the other tank is also not shirking. I've also had cases where I tried to turn my tank stance off but it doesn't work right away(GCD rolling and what not), so I press it again but then it worked, and the 2nd press puts the tank stance back on, and now you have to wait 10secs to turn it off again. Shirking is easy and simple and unless the swap happen more often than the cd, there's no reason to not shirk.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

P1S(is not required though, hell you can skip the need for swapping tank over all.)

P4S has one though but my static thinks it can be skipped not too sure as we haven't done much playing around with Hesperos in phase 2. We just kill the fool...

E12S has one that is needed though even at 90.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the help guys. I've gotten so much better based on the feedback here over the last 8 months or so.

I'm now max pulling and using mitigation as a tank AND doing dps as a healer!

I also deleted most of my macros, I remember having every defence cooldown on one macro when I was a fresh lv80 lol.

Goonsquad Officer
There's a deceptive complexity to a lot of the jobs, given how simple they are on paper. or how rote their rotation can be.

Goonsquad Officer
I thoroughly enjoy how a fight illustrates people who don't do mechanics so well. Puts the burden of staying alive on the players themselves rather than unavoidable damage for healers to shovel

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user