Final Fantasy XV (PS4 / XB1 / PC)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't either. It was fun enough but I had some bad fps drops. And that is just running around some forest or house, don't even have a full party all fighting with multiple spell effects, etc...

Siliconemelons

Final Fantasy XV: High Level Combat and Magic - IGN First - IGN Video

looks pretty sweet - seems there is a wide area fog spell too.
I suppose I really am outside the targeted and even fringe demographics for FF games now, this looks turrble... and I have not been excited for any of it sans the fact the title says FF 15. And that's okay- for what it is, it looks good and I am sure a buncha folks will enjoy it.

I will just replay some old RPG's and take my kids through Lunar SSC- and enjoy being a old dusty crotchety RPG gamer.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Shrug - i liked all but 12 and 13, i feel they were the absolute worse of the series so far. Some people just hate the shift away from turn based gameplay.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think XII is by far the best of the series and thoroughly enjoyed all of XIII, and even I expect XV will be terrible. The demo did nothing to change that opinion either.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I've played 'em all from VI to present except for 13-3 and and 10-2 the only one I didn't enjoy was 13-2. 12 was indeed awesome, but I never beat it.

13 wasn't great, but I enjoyed the combat.

Siliconemelons

Shrug - i liked all but 12 and 13, i feel they were the absolute worse of the series so far. Some people just hate the shift away from turn based gameplay.

A lot of it is the turn away from turn based game play - and also the reason behind it "no one wants it, it wont sell well" - well BD + 2nd has shown it can and people still like it. I wonder if the FF7 remake still being turn based outsells 15 if maybe they figure things out...

Also their story telling has changed, but that is mostly due to medium advancement - "anime syndrome" has always been a thing where stuff is lost in translation or we are just not used to "getting" a story the way anime typically does it- anime conveys tons of stuff in pure visuals and assumed character interactions - two people look at each other, one blinks...the other nods...they stand in the rain. That's like epic! in that way of story telling - refer to the FF15 big scene with the kid standing there and his father and their interactions... the west typically wants dialog / text, voice over and narration. Back when games could not produce the visuals etc. they were forced to use more text and imo it was "better" for the western market to attach to - now that the medium has advanced and they can tell their stories in the true "anime" way of doing things...to me it does not strike home the story and plots as much as it used to.

But is it a pretty game? yeah, those are awesome visuals and it looks great. Will it sell - I am sure, and it will be successful no doubt excluding all old cods like me. No one has taken my old games away, and sometimes there are some new games that hit home to me and others - I just wish FF was one of them more often.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A lot of it is the turn away from turn based game play - and also the reason behind it "no one wants it, it wont sell well" - well BD + 2nd has shown it can and people still like it. I wonder if the FF7 remake still being turn based outsells 15 if maybe they figure things out...
Last I heard the remake is not turn based.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
12 suffered from the same problem as 7, they had to rush the ending and the finale to the story was shit. They did great things with gameplay but couldn't take the time to make a complete game. Well, since FF15 has been in development since the PS3 freakin' came out I'm expecting them to fix that error.

joz123

Potato del Grande
i didn't give a shit that 12's story was worthless. The gameplay was worth it. I just wish they would make a remaster of it with the zodiac edition, never got to play that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
just started playing 12 for the first time today, and fuck i can't believe i'm 10 years late on this game. so good so far. first FF i've played since X, its kind of sold me on Square taking liberties with the traditional FF combat system.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
just started playing 12 for the first time today, and fuck i can't believe i'm 10 years late on this game. so good so far. first FF i've played since X, its kind of sold me on Square taking liberties with the traditional FF combat system.
IZJS? If not, stop immediately and get it instead.

Well X and X-2 Remastered are now on steam.
Good ports too, aside from being locked at 30 fps (which is pretty meaningless for them anyway).

Probably the best part of playing X on PC is that someone already made a AHK/AutoIt script that does the 200 lightning dodges for you, because fuck that shit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
not IZJS. really wanted to play it in the comfort of my living room, and my hardware situation is pretty abysmal right now so no way to get it running in my living room on a PC.... so i dusted off my old PS2.

i really don't think i'll have a problem playing this game twice, tho. if i start to run out of steam on the completionist shit on this playthrough i am definitely going to hold it off for my eventual IZJS playthorugh some day.

edit -- hm actually if i mod my PS2 and get a copy of IZJS...

Needless

Toe Sucker
Between this and SO im going to dump hundreds of hours into playing.
Oh shit, just realized SO is almost out. Maybe i should hold off on starting TW3 and just wait for that. I want a single player RPG to play so badly thoughhhhh

Their magic system in FF15 looks cool as fuck to me, maybe a little tedious eventually? but the effectiveness of the spells seems like it's worth it. Freezing everything with blizzard is so sick

spronk

FPS noob
Isn't FF15 only supposed to be around 50 hours tops? I thought I remember the director saying that, and usually that tends to be a bit optimistic.