Final Fantasy XV (PS4 / XB1 / PC)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After Ni No Kuni and Xenoblade, playing anything as inferior as Final Fantasy just hurts.
Weird. To me, Ni No Kuni had just about the worst party AI of any JRPG I've ever played, to the point where the game became unplayable the moment the party size grew to three, and Xenoblade was nothing more than dumbed-down inferior imitation of FF XII.

Edit: That's not to say that I consider FF the greatest or anything either. Last gen, it'd be a toss up between Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Persona 4, and this gen it's Resonance of Fate miles ahead of anything else.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Weird. To me, Ni No Kuni had just about the worst party AI of any JRPG I've ever played, to the point where the game became unplayable the moment the party size grew to three, and Xenoblade was nothing more than dumbed-down inferior imitation of FF XII.

Edit: That's not to say that I consider FF the greatest or anything either. Last gen, it'd be a toss up between Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Persona 4, and this gen it's Resonance of Fate miles ahead of anything else.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant was soooo good. Kind of crazy really how many more good RPGs there were in the two previous generations compared to this one. I have folders filled with PS1 and PS2 games, mostly RPGs. Both PS1 and PS2 had more RPGs than the wii, 360 and PS3 combined. Seems like this gen the majority of developers switched to handhelds. Guess it costs a lot more to develop for the newer gen consoles, but I hope this trend doesn't continue. I don't own any portable consoles other than a modded original fat PSP (filled with snes and PS1 rpgs). Kind of want a 3DS, computer still gives lag when trying to emulate that, I want to try Dragon Quest 9.

And as to action combat in RPGs now, .HACK still did that better than anything I've seen in any current gen RPG. EDIT: except Demon/Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma. There should be a Dragons Dogma 2.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
All this love for FFX battle system and no mention of X-2, which was tittays. Expand it to support more than three characters, and limit them to 2-3 jobs per character. For example, Auron was a tank type dude so he could be war/pal/sk roles. Give each character some flexibility or customization while maintaining their uniqueness and put it into a better battle system.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And as to action combat in RPGs now, .HACK still did that better than anything I've seen in any current gen RPG. EDIT: except Demon/Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma. There should be a Dragons Dogma 2.
There's definitely going to be a Dragon's Dogma 2, they hinted at it just recently.

Personally I think there's more than enough Action RPGs now and not nearly enough Turn-Based RPGs. Someone needs to bring back that style of gameplay big time.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Could not agree more.

Also, I can almost guarantee a Dragon's Dogma 2 even if that's not what it's called/takes place in a different setting.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Every time i see people praise IX i question humanity. Then again i feel the same way about the grid system and 2 sequels to a shitty FF title.

Games that need sequels:

The Last Remnant
Legend of Dragoon
Star Ocean 2nd story
Dragons Dogma(which still shits over the last 5-7 years of squeenix games)

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hate grid, i still prefer characters by role over everyone can do everything. However il stop there b/c people always hop on that shit when you say it asap!
I agree that characters that are single role, however, I enjoy being given the freedom to build those characters into the one role of my choosing. So instead of being able to build characters to do everything, I wish you only had the freedom to build them in a single way, but which way is up to the player.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't mind something akin to the system FF9 used for leveling:

equip an item that has the fire spell, level up and get experience enough and you can use it without the item in order to equip a better item with more powerful spells/abilities. limited slots that you can choose from to equip the abilities/passives you want to customize that character. gaining levels just gives you more ability slots, and maybe a bit of base stats. Some equipment slots open to all characters, others only useable by certain characters in order to create distinction between party members.
Yep, FFIX had a sick system. Honestly that game was so good and deserves just as much praise as VI and VII.

All this love for FFX battle system and no mention of X-2, which was tittays. Expand it to support more than three characters, and limit them to 2-3 jobs per character. For example, Auron was a tank type dude so he could be war/pal/sk roles. Give each character some flexibility or customization while maintaining their uniqueness and put it into a better battle system.
I don't see why you'd need X-2's system when you can have a big enough cast to each be their own role... unless they do FFV number of classes, which would be cool.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I agree that characters that are single role, however, I enjoy being given the freedom to build those characters into the one role of my choosing. So instead of being able to build characters to do everything, I wish you only had the freedom to build them in a single way, but which way is up to the player.
I agree with this, being able to "further" develop them into certain more specified areas of what they can already do, but suddenly having a fighter/sword user turn into a pro healer or some other rubbish just b/c everything allowed is not my ideal way to play rpg's and its one of the reasons i havent bothered picking up alot of the previous FF titles.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Games that need sequels:

The Last Remnant-Meh
Legend of Dragoon-Yup
Star Ocean 2nd story-Fucking wish more than anything that they'd make another GOOD Star Ocean
Dragons Dogma(which still shits over the last 5-7 years of squeenix games)-Meh
I'd love to see a real DQ sequel, ala DQ8.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I fully admit it may be because my JRPG experience is limited to games that shy away from the typical Japanese emo anime. While Xenoblade still had it a bit, it wasn't as bad as some others. Ni No Kuni I thought had a fantastic story and was very fun from a game play / pokemon style perspective. The combat mechanics in JRPG's really only go so far don't they? Aside from skill lines and abilities/class interaction in combat....

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'd love to see a real DQ sequel, ala DQ8.
Bro, DQ9 was amazing. Are you one of those people that didn't have a DS to play it? lol

I still don't get how people liked the last remnant, that game was gruellingly slow

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bro, DQ9 was amazing. Are you one of those people that didn't have a DS to play it? lol

I still don't get how people liked the last remnant, that game was gruellingly slow
I own DQ9 and love it. I just happened to really enjoy 8. My favorite DQ is still 5, though.

On a side note: bullshit that DQ4(the DS remake) is like 84$ for a boxed copy on amazon.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I still remember having to buy a copy of Lufia II online back in the day for $129.99 + S&H because that was the only place I could find it after months and months of searching.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

It was slow, but it was unique and a stab at something that hadnt been done combat wise and i greatly enjoyed it. It failed hard to do some technical aspects for whatever reason but i had alot of fun playing it.

Another Grandia would be good, loved the old one on Dreamcast.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was slow, but it was unique and a stab at something that hadnt been done combat wise and i greatly enjoyed it. It failed hard to do some technical aspects for whatever reason but i had alot of fun playing it.

Another Grandia would be good, loved the old one on Dreamcast.
I loved Grandia 1, but Grandia 2 was terrible. A sequel in the vein of Grandia 1 would be amazing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How about some more motherfucking Lunar. Silver Star Story is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Top 10 for sure.

Szlia

I wish it could be a mix between an action-RPG, a road movie and Entourage, with all the world building being done with the radio and the buddies babbling. It probably will not be as extreme as that, but it still looks very refreshing.