Final Fantasy XV (PS4 / XB1 / PC)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Come on, the sound effects and music in that are awesome so let's have a version linked without the opera scene music pasted on top...

I wonder why, in a series which has always had roughly 50% female characters, they have suddendly gone for all men? I heard that Japanese people don't have sex anymore (seriously like 40+%) so maybe they don't think that female characters will attract their male target audience anymore?

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I wonder why, in a series which has always had roughly 50% female characters, they have suddendly gone for all men? I heard that Japanese people don't have sex anymore (seriously like 40+%) so maybe they don't think that female characters will attract their male target audience anymore?
An interesting point but I somehow doubt it.
I think I've just learned to accept that Final Fantasy is a Japanese product and there will be weird shit involved. -_-

Stave

Potato del Grande
Hope to shit they release this on PC. If not, this might be the title that gets me to buy a PS4.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The PS4 plays blu-rays, right? I guess when this comes out I should upgrade from a launch PS3 to a PS4 player.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yea thinking of some of the FF6 characters, they wouldn't be emo.
Like... Cyan, Strago, and Umaro? Because of the rest of the dudes would have looked pretty emo. I'm sure it was mentioned in the other FF thread way back when, but the artwork of FF was centered around Yoshitaka Amano's style for the entirety of the first decade of games or so, and his successor tends to like his characters to look like Gackt. All of that means that FF males have primarily been kind of emo looking since the beginning, with the occasional "gruff" character thrown in. Hell, the boy band from FFXV apparently has their token rougher looking male character as well, so the trend since the beginning continues.

Type in some of your favorite characters into google and you'll see quite a bit of emo to go around.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
To continue this derailment, ffix had no emo boy band characters, and although technically they used sprites, they were pretty nice looking considering it was a ps1 title.

10 was my favorite though, despite the bad romance plot. I enjoyed the island/water past tech evil/future magic good theme a little bit more than the magic/tech dichotomy of most of the other games.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well yeah, the entire cast of 9 minus Garnet was fairly anthropomorphic. Well, and Steiner, but even he had eyeliner. Zidane and Kuja both had a lot more feminine artistic aspects than male aspects in their design. But really, that's just Japan. Artistically they favor the clean shaven young male look with fine features (bordering on feminine) and fairly effeminate makeup. FF has always had that sort of feel to it, it is just very difficult to show it when you have 16bit sprites vs. 3d rendered characters. In fact, I would argue that people started noticing the boy-band look of FF characters right around FF8, when graphics capabilities allowed them to actually articulate the art style to be more true to the source for presentation purposes. The cutscenes in 7 portrayed Seph and Cloud as fairly standard Japanese aesthetics as well, given the limited medium at the time.

Anyway! Back on topic, the game looks gorgeous but still looks like a mature version of Kingdom Hearts combat-wise to me. I guess when Zero comes out we'll get to test drive it and see if it plays as good as it looks.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The main character with his tail would have absolutely been a boy bander. The older knight wouldn't have been.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Back on topic, the game looks gorgeous but still looks like a mature version of Kingdom Hearts combat-wise to me.
Yeah, that's my big worry (even though I like the KH series). Call me old-fashioned, but I play most JRPGs and FFs for the traditional, turn-based gameplay.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think the era of turn based Final Fantasy games are over. This is probably due to the success of 14, though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
While some games w/ turn based gameplay are fun like D:OS - ive grown tired of it in FF series. I actually didnt mind 13's system but 13 itself was just pure shit to me. 15's combat looks rather fluid and dynamic with the other cast so hopefully they can deliver a good FF game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed the combat system of Resonance of Fate. Turn based, but still quite visual and active.

Mixing the active with turn based often makes it too... button pressy, not really tactical just "change paradigm at right time, press x for auto skills, change back, do it quick max star points!" . Meh.

Rather they then go full active with combat to match, reactive like Dark Souls / Dragons Dogma or Jade Empire for that matter, or take a more tactical route similar to Resonance of Fate.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'd like another "The Last Remnant",...they could name it "The VERY Last Remnant" for all i care.

I dont suspect we will ever get another Dragons Dogma, i am not sure what planet Capcom is on nowadays but im pretty sure its not ours. We will just keep getting SF and RE until they are bought out.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'd like another "The Last Remnant",...they could name it "The VERY Last Remnant" for all i care.

I dont suspect we will ever get another Dragons Dogma, i am not sure what planet Capcom is on nowadays but im pretty sure its not ours. We will just keep getting SF and RE until they are bought out.
Yeah, The Last Remnant also had a much better tactical part system than FF 13. If I am not completely mistaken, a few of the mechanics from Resonance of Fate were quite similar. LoS, tag team, etc. Been a while since I played either.

I do not understand why we do not have a Dragons Dogma 2 yet. Brilliant game with a combat that managed to be tactical as well as fluid, with what I still consider the best npc companion system to date. Great dungeon crawling.

Not sure if there is any other game I can say I would like a sequel to more than Dragons Dogma.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
DD? erection!

Luminous Studio

• The current version of the engine is version 1.40. When the Episode Duscae demo launches, it will be at 1.50. The final version of the game is planned to be 2.00.
  • There are about five million polygons per frame, witch each character made up of at max 100,000 polygons. The inner hair alone has about 20,000 polygons, which is five times the previous generation.
  • Character models have around 600 bones, which is roughly 10-12 times greater than what was seen last generation.
  • Data capacity for textures is also much greater than before.

Final Fantasy XV

• Battles against huge enemies are carried out in the same fashion as standard battles, but there will be some exclusive party co-op ctions for the bigger fights.
  • There will be several mini-games, including fishing.
  • Restalm (we called it Restaru, then Restarg, we were wrong twice ? it?s hard to play by ear sometimes) is being made in the image of the Bahamas.
  • Right now, the ropeway in Restalm cannot be rode. We might add the ability to ride it if there is time to do so.
  • The development team wants players to get a feel for the world and find it relatable not just through sheer visuals, but also through the characters.
  • In town, you can stay in hotels or go shopping.
  • NPCs in town are controlled by AI, and you can talk to them.
  • Restalm is a main town in the first half of the game.
  • Cindy shows up in different places throughout the game. Something happens with her at the start that shakes her up and gets her moving around.
  • While she?s not deeply involved in the story, she?s relevant because of her profession as a mechanic.
  • Players will have to fight Summon Beasts in order to be able to use them.
  • Summon Beasts in the game are a symbol of the power of stars. Only Noctis can actually summon them.
  • Combat-wise, the plan is holding down a button will start a set combo, but timed button presses are what will enable coordinated moves with other party members.
  • To parry enemy attacks, you have to match the timing of their strike. This is intended for expert players.
  • Magic isn?t what consumes MP, nor is the system akin to the Draw system Final Fantasy VIII had.
  • MP is consumed by using special actions, such as dodging and warping.
  • Weapons are equipped several at a time, with one main weapon. The main weapon has a corresponding ability, and it?s also possible to switch the main weapon during combat.
  • Combos are automatically formulated based on which weapon is currently being utilized out of the ones being equipped.
  • Abilities aren?t separate from a weapon?s given category and there are also weapons that have no abilities at all. Apparently not unlike what was seen in Captain Tsubasa 5, a game that Tabata apparently worked on back in the day.
  • Rare weapons that can be acquired from dungeons and other sketchy areas could potentially have some hack-and-slash aspects to how they?re used. The Phantom Sword, which floats in midair, will also be acquirable as a special weapon.
  • The battle system from the demo is planned to be fully featured.
  • After the Tokyo Game Show this year, the systems going into the demo were slightly changed as a result of fan feedback.
  • Players will also be able to run around in areas such as the mountainous areas where the Behemoths roam.
  • In the full version, you?ll be able to rent Chocobos.
  • Camps are inherently designed to be a safe haven, making them ideal headquarters when setting out to explore new areas.
  • There are bonuses that come with cooking ingredients purchased in towns and cities. You can also get ingredients off monsters in the wild.