First World Problems

Nester

Vyemm Raider
People getting mad at you for asking for ID when they've written on the back of their cards, "SEE ID" "ASK FOR ID" etc
How about this....i had a store not accept my Visa because I had "SEE ID" on the back, I had my Drivers license in my hand at the time to show them, but they said they could not accept the card since it did not have a signature on the back...

wtf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Getting my dad (a retired chef) to text me instead of call when he has a plate of something in the fridge for me to grab on my way to work.

Molten Core Raider
How about this....i had a store not accept my Visa because I had "SEE ID" on the back, I had my Drivers license in my hand at the time to show them, but they said they could not accept the card since it did not have a signature on the back...

wtf
The reason they are supposed to ask to see id is to compare signatures on the card to signatures on the ID. Last time I looked through the credit card info from visa/mc they recommended turning down cards with no signature. Defeats the whole purpose.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
The reason they are supposed to ask to see id is to compare signatures on the card to signatures on the ID. Last time I looked through the credit card info from visa/mc they recommended turning down cards with no signature. Defeats the whole purpose.
Also on the credit card itself it plainly states "Not valid unless signed" - SEE ID isn't a signature for anyone that I know of, unless your name is See Id. It's not terribly uncommon for some establishments to refuse them as invalid if that's on there.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
But i have Goverment issued PHOTO id, fuck signatures, look at the photo

Siliconemelons

If the purpose of the signature was @ POS to compare signatures of card v ID then fine- but it's not... it's only for comparison of the signatures you sign when using the card as credit and you sign the box on the POS machine- and also used for dispute claim.

See ID is a common, yet very un-official "ask me to see my ID and compare" customer invented tactic- but TECHNICALLY it is not valid, nor is a blank back... but honestly it's a thing of old technology.

Used as debt or chip-pin your PIN is your proof of ID/ownership and dispute rather than the signature- again the signature is nigh useless.

However 9 of 10 times the "see id" thing will work as "intended" and of that one of ten, half the time they won't even look or care- and the other half of the time they just want to be dumb and rustle your jimmy.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
If the purpose of the signature was @ POS to compare signatures of card v ID then fine- but it's not... it's only for comparison of the signatures you sign when using the card as credit and you sign the box on the POS machine- and also used for dispute claim.

See ID is a common, yet very un-official "ask me to see my ID and compare" customer invented tactic- but TECHNICALLY it is not valid, nor is a blank back... but honestly it's a thing of old technology.

Used as debt or chip-pin your PIN is your proof of ID/ownership and dispute rather than the signature- again the signature is nigh useless.

However 9 of 10 times the "see id" thing will work as "intended" and of that one of ten, half the time they won't even look or care- and the other half of the time they just want to be dumb and rustle your jimmy.

Oh I get it, but it is dumb and less secure imo.

IN Canada for the last 5-7 years 95% of retailers have had pin/chip POS machines so its not much of an issue, its just the retarded mom an pop shop that did not upgrade and lost my business that day a few years ago.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why you wouldn't sign the card along with putting See ID? It just adds an extra layer of security. While all of this is pretty unfeasible for your standard stolen credit card, it is still one step easier if they steal your card (which you left unsigned) and then create a fake ID with the same name. Now all they have to do is sign both of them and they match, and they can sign all day long with a matching signature. But if you already signed it, they have to try and copy it on the fake ID (sure, can be done digitally now, but used to be a lot harder), and have to practice enough to get it right in the event they need to do it in front of someone.

Like I said, pretty extravagant measures for someone to go through, but it just sounds like you were the one that screwed up and were looking for someone to blame. I've always signed mine and then added the See ID part, and I've been doing it for almost 30 years.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Since we are chatting =D

Funny enough, the last CC i had i did not sign the back or even put See ID on it. I left it blank for a year before i noticed. Never once was it an issue. As i mention in Canada we often dont even give our CC to the retailer, we often are handed the POS, insert the CC then put in your pin, for the most part the card never leaves my hand. I only noticed it when visiting the USA and the retailer pointed it out, i signed it infront of him and similed and handed it back.

I guess this is the reasoning behind not understaning the security of a signature, that and online shopping that does not require it. Seems like a very outdated practice.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
The signature on my cards is in perfect cursive script. My signatures on receipts are an illegible scribble.

The biggest problem I have is my bosses put my nickname on both my business cards, so I have to explain to some retailers that it's a nickname and my bosses are idiots.

Siliconemelons

Since we are chatting =D

Funny enough, the last CC i had i did not sign the back or even put See ID on it. I left it blank for a year before i noticed. Never once was it an issue. As i mention in Canada we often dont even give our CC to the retailer, we often are handed the POS, insert the CC then put in your pin, for the most part the card never leaves my hand. I only noticed it when visiting the USA and the retailer pointed it out, i signed it infront of him and similed and handed it back.

I guess this is the reasoning behind not understaning the security of a signature, that and online shopping that does not require it. Seems like a very outdated practice.
I was just explaining... eruo and Canada are all chip pin and have been- the US is just now going chip pin- the signature thing is really dumb and yes very insecure... and when was the last time a dispute was done where the cc company didn't just say "okay, your funds will be credited back in a few days".. and actually used signature matching to deny a claim...and that's to assume the stolen card was recovered for them to use as a case...if not they will just use history of signatures anywho so it's moot.

Yes it's dumb, it's a dumb technicality and a old system of very outdated check and balance- like old "technically it's a law" that if your cousin in Florida has 5 ducks you can marry one in trade for a turtle, or some stupid thing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
However 9 of 10 times the "see id" thing will work as "intended"and of that one of ten, half the time they won't even look or care- and the other half of the time they just want to be dumb and rustle your jimmy.
Hang on, are you saying that the cashiers look at the back of your card 9 out of 10 times?

I am beginning to doubt you have a credit card. Been using credit cards for 20+ years now and have never signed the back. No one has ever questioned me on it.

Edit: Wait, where do you live? You're a euro?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>

wtf
That's actually the law.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Jesus this is a dumb derail.

A credit card without a signature is not valid per the rules issued to merchants by every creditor in the US. If a charge is disputed an unsigned card can be used as proof that the transaction violated the terms a merchant is required to follow. It's unlikely to get a legitimate charge reversed but "can" be a huge headache and shitwillroll downhill until it hits the cashier who processed the transaction.

When someone used debit fuck if I cared because if a PIN# is used the card holder is accountable not the merchant. When someone ran any card as credit I asked to see ID signed or not, however if it was signed I did compare signatures. Got pissy I asked or didn't have your matching photo ID? Too fucking bad, go fuck yourself, and not my problem. There's two banks within walking distance. Doing that and obtaining approval from my manager to run any suspect transaction kept my ass for being fired when some bitch tried to claim fraud one day. "Taloo you ran a $1,500 transaction that the cardholder claims they didn't make." "Yeah it was the mid 20's latino woman two weeks ago wasn't it and I told you it seemed fishy before I ran the charge and you gave me approval." "I don't remember..." "MOTHERFUCKER CHECK THE TAPES." "*queue video of me comparing card and ID and speaking to manager prior to running transaction*".

Don't want your card declined? Sign the shit the same way you signed your ID. No one's fucking fault or problem except yours if you don't. Anyone who gets pissy at someone for doing their damn job correctly deserves to die a painful, lingering death and face it alone after being abandoned by every person they valued.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Don't think I've ever signed a credit/debt card and I've never been turned away for not having done so.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Don't think I've ever signed a credit/debt card and I've never been turned away for not having done so.
Neither have I and it means absolutely fuck all. Neither of our cards are valid. They can be and "should be" refused as a method of payment as a result.

Can you do 5 over for the rest of your life without getting a ticket? Maybe. Will your card never be refused as a result of not signing it? Maybe.

Don't want it refused sign it. But don't get pissy and act like a child if you don't and someone does their job.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Don't want it refused sign it. But don't get pissy and act like a child if you don't and someone does their job.
Don't think I'd ever get pissy unless I was having a rather bad day. I probably just go buy whatever I was trying to buy from someone else. Or I'd let me internal troll come out and sign back of the card right in front of them, "what now bitch?".

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Don't think I'd ever get pissy unless I was having a rather bad day. I probably just go buy whatever I was trying to buy from someone else. Or I'd let me internal troll come out and sign back of the card right in front of them, "what now bitch?".
So... in other words get pissy and act like a child? Good to know it's justified if you're having a "rather bad day" to take out your frustrations on a clerk who can't tell you to go fuck yourself without being fired.

How does it feel to be subhuman trash?