Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Friend who is a noob was party leader so we could run through his defense and other missions. Somehow he queued us up for a mission where everything was level 19. Most fun we had all night, lol. We're all between 3 and 15, and were facing shit we've never seen before (Smashers, some tall AOE guys, and some leaper/flyer/floater things).

I'm not even sure how to do that again on purpose. We were a party of 4, so not like it jumped us into some other high level person's game.
There's a bunch of missions that are outside of your recommended range, in Plankerton, I've got access to some 34-40 areas and I'm only 20. Smashers, Takers and Blasters are all good fun, unless your solo. =D

Rime

<Donor>
A friend gave me the free-digital copy of this that comes with the higher tier purchase, guess I will download it over the weekend and give it a try, despite my hesitance, I figure at least I am not paying for it!

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I really wanted to pick this game up...but this smells so strongly of shitty mobile pay to play model. I hope I am wrong, but...

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I really wanted to pick this game up...but this smells so strongly of shitty mobile pay to play model. I hope I am wrong, but...
We've been over this a dozen fucking times now.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEND A CENT TO PROGRESS, BUILD SHIT, SHOOT SHIT AND HAVE A GREAT TIME DOING IT.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
A friend gave me the free-digital copy of this that comes with the higher tier purchase, guess I will download it over the weekend and give it a try, despite my hesitance, I figure at least I am not paying for it!
I have been hoping this happens to me

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There are some serious issues I see right now with advancement that revolve around certain loot drops.

TLDR is that pure rain drops are fairly uncommon rewards needed to "star up" anything at low stars, and unlike XP when you nuke an item/person you don't get them back.

Since level of all the squad and survivor members directly affect primary "level" (power), the obvious inclination is to use your most powerful things. Unfortunately, since exp per level scales with quality, this doesn't actually seem to work out as a benefit. That is to say that a level 20 green dude is worth more than a level 12 epic one, despite the fact that the epic one costs way more to get there.

The problem is that if you want to get over that hump were you are capping most things at 1 star, if you blow all your rain on greens and blues, you'll be screwed farming for longer down the road, but if you want to just work on the best items, you need more of everything so you're stuck farming low level missions for a shot at them as they're quicker.

I don't really like this system, it's counterintuitive and disadvantages everyone just at different times.

The trick, of course, is that you can buy your way out of this conundrum by just using your best stuff while shoving exp and rain into them gotten from loot llamas. Yeaaaa...

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
TLDR is that pure rain drops are fairly uncommon rewards needed to "star up" anything at low stars, and unlike XP when you nuke an item/person you don't get them back.
For once, you've made a great point. You don't get back the sub materials that go into evolving heroes and schematics. I however consider it part of the progression system, I'd 2-star'd all my blue heroes and a few greens before I got my first legendary hero. So now I'm back to needing a boat load of Rain to get them back up to speed. However, had I NOT spent that time getting those original blues and greens up to 2-star, I wouldn't have had an easy time on a few missions. Two steps forward, one step backward. So it's a personal choice, you can wait, and delay the upgrades or you can "spend money to make money" and upgrade those heroes to get you to the next heroes, or you can blow a fuckton of real life cash so you can avoid playing the game.

... and before some shitfuckle decides that "spend money to make money" means buy loot boxes, just fucking stop it. I'm talking about Drops of Pure Rain.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
For once, you've made a great point. You don't get back the sub materials that go into evolving heroes and schematics. I however consider it part of the progression system, I'd 2-star'd all my blue heroes and a few greens before I got my first legendary hero. So now I'm back to needing a boat load of Rain to get them back up to speed. However, had I NOT spent that time getting those original blues and greens up to 2-star, I wouldn't have had an easy time on a few missions. Two steps forward, one step backward. So it's a personal choice, you can wait, and delay the upgrades or you can "spend money to make money" and upgrade those heroes to get you to the next heroes, or you can blow a fuckton of real life cash so you can avoid playing the game.

... and before some shitfuckle decides that "spend money to make money" means buy loot boxes, just fucking stop it. I'm talking about Drops of Pure Rain.
The progression system is not very intuitive at all, and it will become a grind fest eventually, but I'm level 18 and doing level 29 stuff right now, mainly because I've been upgrading my weapons as high as possible and I just try to position smartly. As long as you can do damage then you can progress. I do forsee having to do some grinding soon. I'm on page 4 of plankerton atm

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Yep, I'm on page 4 as well, at level 20. The sniper shotty (orange) I have has been great, I back that up with an energy assault (purple) and a small assault (blue). Gives me good coverage on ammo and targets, I use the shotty on the big shit and things I need to die in one hit, like the Lobbers.

Caliane

the progression system is totally shit. And its a grindfest from minute one.
It took me like 2 days to get from 4-5...

All our game experience is also fucked from "foundation" packs/dailys etc. hell, the free 15 llamas they gave everyone in EA the other day.
I went from level5, to level 19 yesterday, from those free llamas. A mythic team lead, 5 epic team leads, +epic survivors.
the mythic team lead increased my tech level from 8, to 64.
Weapon schematics mostly blues, a couple ok epics.

Anyone entering after this period will have an even worse grind..

There is a fun game in here somewhere, buried under an insane UI, monetization, and grindfest.

Should be able to do the first town in one day. not 2 weeks. Beyond stupid how slow that is, to allow new mission types, access to squads, etc.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
the progression system is totally shit. And its a grindfest from minute one.
It took me like 2 days to get from 4-5...

All our game experience is also fucked from "foundation" packs/dailys etc. hell, the free 15 llamas they gave everyone in EA the other day.
I went from level5, to level 19 yesterday, from those free llamas. A mythic team lead, 5 epic team leads, +epic survivors.
the mythic team lead increased my tech level from 8, to 64.
Weapon schematics mostly blues, a couple ok epics.

Anyone entering after this period will have an even worse grind..

There is a fun game in here somewhere, buried under an insane UI, monetization, and grindfest.

Should be able to do the first town in one day. not 2 weeks. Beyond stupid how slow that is, to allow new mission types, access to squads, etc.

Maybe not a DAY as there's only 4 towns, but I get what you're saying. The problem really is that pretty much a significant portion of advancement for the F2Ps is the various slottable people (i'll call them minions) for which there is no source besides llamas.

You do get a couple (and I do mean a couple) of useful minions from the quest chain but not nearly enough. I have never gotten any from a match chest (in map or final reward) either, so they are either so rare as the not matter or don't drop period.

I currently am 16 and have 11 survivors slotted, 2 base defenders and two mission defenders so far. You probably won't even have that many as an F2P, much less good or "right stats".

To top it off, the missions give maybe 500-1000 minion xp in Stonewood most of the time and that's enough for on average one level. So just to level the guys up, if you ignored everything except minion xp you'd have to run maybe 200 matches. Then you'd need another 200-300 matches to farm pure raindrops, followed by another 500 matches of minion xp farming to get them into the teens/ a few to level 20.

To put it bluntly, no one who is F2P is going to play this for long because you get crushed by the game right away with the risk v reward being so skewed and relying on a huge grind for incremental minor stat increases.

Caliane

baffling design choices.
Theres effectively 3 different passive stat trees.

commander exp gained from matches. leads to one skill tree.
A separate exp/hour offline tally(research). which leads to ANOTHER skill tree. both effectively do the same thing. passive stats, unlock squad/defender slots, and backpack/storage.
There is little to no reason for those two to be separate trees.

Then, those two both feed into what is essentially a hidden third passive tree, in the form of squads. THIS tree, is effectively just slots in those previous trees, which you place the survivor cards in. survivors effectively being passive stats.

Matters are made worse here. With team leads, and survivors.
And then Defenders, which while LOOK very very similar to the squad survivors, are an entirely different mechanic.
Oh, and "survivors" used in squads, are also a totally different mechanic and thing to "survivor" which is a currency for expeditions...

So, defenders and survivors look the same, but are two entirely separate mechanics.
And survivors and survivors are named the same, but are two entirely separate mechanics.

Why do expeditions even exist? Expeditions and research. two offline app game mechanics in this thing...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't mind expeditions. Atm what you get them might be small compared to just playing, its done passively while I either play or don't play. So not going to turn down some materials every 8-20hours. I would think the higher ones will start to give better materials, but atm I just do it for the free silver ore and other oddball stuff I don't naturally collect.

Yeah not sure why they called both the people you slot for squads and the currency for expeditions, survivors. I don't even bother with defenders, I collection/retire them all for hero exp. I could see someone using them if they play a lot of solo and like to plop down a post to help complete a mission or base defense, as the extra firepower would probably help a lot(since you can give them the guns you use) as long as they are positioned correctly.

@a_skeleton_03 I have seen a survivor(saw a hero as well) as a reward for completion on one missions in plankerton but it was the timed things, where they are up for like 5-6 hours then they change randomly to another mission and another reward.

Just make sure to do every mission that gives free bucks and/or coins and turn around and use them(but keep 1k bucks saved for the occasional super llams that pop up on the daily deal thing).

My group has slowed down a bit, as we read/heard that canny valley has no story/quest line to it and supposedly no upgraded loot/materials to it yet, ie it's not remotely done except to have some missions to run over and over for exp. So we are just casually going through plankerton now, and should last us to 30/35 power level.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
baffling design choices.
Theres effectively 3 different passive stat trees.

commander exp gained from matches. leads to one skill tree.
A separate exp/hour offline tally(research). which leads to ANOTHER skill tree. both effectively do the same thing. passive stats, unlock squad/defender slots, and backpack/storage.
There is little to no reason for those two to be separate trees.

Then, those two both feed into what is essentially a hidden third passive tree, in the form of squads. THIS tree, is effectively just slots in those previous trees, which you place the survivor cards in. survivors effectively being passive stats.

Matters are made worse here. With team leads, and survivors.
And then Defenders, which while LOOK very very similar to the squad survivors, are an entirely different mechanic.
Oh, and "survivors" used in squads, are also a totally different mechanic and thing to "survivor" which is a currency for expeditions...

So, defenders and survivors look the same, but are two entirely separate mechanics.
And survivors and survivors are named the same, but are two entirely separate mechanics.

Why do expeditions even exist? Expeditions and research. two offline app game mechanics in this thing...

I actually like it, there's 3 progression skill trees:

1) Time (research)
2) Commander XP/play time (skill points)
3) Loot (survivors)

My main problems with them are 1) There's no actual explanation of how much each stat point does or what it effects in practical terms, 2) the SP cap for research points is really low (you have to log in very frequently or else you lose them) and 3) the loot based one isn't very well optimized yet and relies more on purchases than anything else.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
@a_skeleton_03 I have seen a survivor(saw a hero as well) as a reward for completion on one missions in plankerton but it was the timed things, where they are up for like 5-6 hours then they change randomly to another mission and another reward.
I haven't played this game or posted in this thread. Too busy in EQ, did you accidentally tag me?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
/Utnayan on

got a free code so I'm playing on PC. independent game launcher is gay.

game is fun but you can tell VERY early on that the entire progression is based around spending real $$$. i've heard some twitch streamers mention that Epic has addressed this but we'll see...

BrikkerLive if anyone wants to party. At level 12 atm

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One thing this game is really missing is a way to play with friends at various power levels. Doesn't need to be top tier rewards, but should at least give something and a way to offset durability loss on weapons with mats you can't even find at some levels.