Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

rad

Lord of Guk
I've put in about 300 total games in the last month, 3 wins out of those, so by no means a master and yet I never tilt regardless of how many top 10s I lose. Compare that to Overwatch and Im rage quitting after 1 game. My only explanation is after each death I can normally reflect on what I should have done differently. Finding far more enjoyment that's for sure.

Brother in law just informed me my nephew has it hard for FN, so I'll probably start duoing with him which should be fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've put in about 300 total games in the last month, 3 wins out of those, so by no means a master and yet I never tilt regardless of how many top 10s I lose. Compare that to Overwatch and Im rage quitting after 1 game. My only explanation is after each death I can normally reflect on what I should have done differently. Finding far more enjoyment that's for sure.

Brother in law just informed me my nephew has it hard for FN, so I'll probably start duoing with him which should be fun.

I'm on day 3 of my return to FN and finally won a Solo last night. I agree that for some reason I'm just not raging at the game at all. I rage at OW/Hearthstone something fierce though.

I actually streamed my win but sound was muted... oops.

The Win felt amazing as it was NOT an easy game at all. Felt like a worthy win. Only 6 kills but I almost died like 10x. Also ran across 1/2 the map.

Short recap, I'm landing at Haunted Hills to try and finish the chest challenge... immediately get into pickaxe battle, find only grenades at first.
2 Kills at Haunted Hills (1 with nades, then shotty)
Need to run to circle, very far run.
Run through Pleasant Park, avoid fire from a roof camper.. no idea why he's there, storm is coming
Keep running past Tilted Towers, get stuck in storm for about 13 seconds (13 health), make it to circle
See a fight up a hill
I get engaged on from behind, I have terrible aim, but win it
I run for next circle, leaving whoever was on hill there
Guy hiding on a cliff shoots at me, gets me down to 8 health
Luckily get away and find some bandages (currently have had 0 health in inventory, just holding 5 weapons)
Guy engages me before I can heal to 75... I'm at 54 health 0 shield when I engage back.
Barely squeaked out the win there, 1 shot and im dead.
Circle is closing in, I enter Dusty Divot, still 54 health, 0 shield. I get to the zone but feel like I'm so screwed. 11 left
I check next zone... it's so far. fml
I get to Retail Row and enter some houses looking for bandages people may have left behind
I see some but also hear footsteps in/around a house I'm at
Storm is closing fast
I sneak to bandages, no idea where he went, heal up and am deciding what gun i want... then the Storm gets me... Iaccidentally take the grey shotty over a green hunting rifle, other option was blue semi assault... oops
Down to 45 health when I get to the zone and find cover to heal to 75... 6 left
I see a fight and tons of loot... I want the loot!
1 guy there after he kills 2 others, 4 left in the game. I engage and get high ground. I almost blow it by not switching to my Gold Assault fast enough but other guy was worse and I take him out.
A campfire gets me to 100 health, 0 shield, 3 left
I take out a guys fort with rockets and see last 2 from afar, I'm popping them with the assault, 1 guy is killed by the other, and I take off about 50 shield from last guy. I build a fort around a chest landing zone.
Final guy rushes me and I manage to land a winning shot.

WOooooooo what a rush of a game... I'm terrible but in 3 days have improved quite a bit with the building & shooting.. I probably need to adjust mouse sense more, have it at 0.13 right now, was 0.24 day 1, also have changed hotkeys for building. Mimicing Shroud by putting Wall on Q and ramp on E... changed Use to F. (tried Tab too). Might mimic Shroud more and put guns 1-5 and move pickaxe to something else, right now pickaxe is still 1.

Getting hotkeys/mouse sense and then building muscle memory is so important. The micro in this game is crazy

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Also, Thanos mode in game now

Fortnite’s Avengers: Infinity War event is here, learn all about Thanos’ power

Here is your list of abilities:

• Ability 1 — A mighty punch that knocks enemies back and destroys structures.
  • Ability 2 — Thanos flies towards the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
  • Ability 3 — Harness the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
  • Ability 4 — A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
  • Thanos has both shields and health. When he eliminates another player, his shields regenerate. His health never regenerates.
  • Thanos doesn’t take fall damage.
  • Thanos does not build, use weapons or things like launch pads. He has no need for such petty human devices.
WHAT LOOT WILL BE GIVEN TO FIGHT THANOS IN FORTNITE?
Thanos may be powerful, but the new loot table is going to give players a fighting chance to take him down. This is how the field will look in terms of loot:

• Only Rare, Epic and Legendary weapons will be spawned.
  • Increased chances of treasure chests spawning from 50-70 percent to 80-90 percent.
  • Increased chances of ammo boxes spawning from 65-80 percent to 85-95 percent.
  • Floor Loot spawns nearly 100 percent of the time.
  • Launchpad spawn likelihood greatly increased.
  • Harvesting resources doubled.
  • Resources found in loot increased from 30 to 60.
  • Chug Jug, Port-A-Fort, Boogie Bomb, Slurp Juice, Bush, and Remote Explosives drop rate increased.
  • Regular Grenade, Shield & Bandage drop rate lowered.
So shields will be easier to find, as will explosives and sneakier items. Resources will be plentiful with harvesting doubled and resources found in loot going up.

We’ll see you inside.

--------

Thanos has 300 Shield & 700 Health

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
After just playing with Thanos, it's not "i win" but it's pretty close if you have any idea what you're doing. Your punch and landing damage will almost one shot anybody.

Szlia

Thanos is actually pretty well balanced as all his moves are impossible to cancel and have long wind up (the jump), long recovery time (the aoe drop punch) or long duration (the laser). If you are clever, it's actually pretty difficult for Thanos to kill you. Eat a crystal and time jumps properly for instance. Or set up base on a hill side. Etc.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good points earlier.
I've never gotten mad in Fortnite either. Same thing with BF4 mostly. Probably the reason i still play the shit out of it.
Ask anyone that played Destiny with me. I'm a rager. :/

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanos mode is hilarious. Everyone's IQ seems to have dropped 50-100 points. I essentially have carte blanche to run around murdering people -- players just stand around staring at Thanos as he jumps around. Just killed 9 people in about 3 minutes without even trying particularly hard.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Think I got 12-15 kills with him, not sure how many I had before so /shurg. Building a base as defense does nothing as his slam just demolishes everything. I would just clear houses as the circle got smaller just so people couldn't hide and it's stupidly easy to just jump and then run around and punch a whole building or house down. Biggest issue when playing Thanos is not having people close around to kill to keep up the shields and getting caught on cliffs were people can pot shot you as you slowly fall down.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I've never enjoyed a game so much that I'm so terrible at.. Fortnite is so much fun!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I couldn't get the Gauntlet even though I played the mode for over an hour.
People are getting better with acquiring & using him.

The strategy about 1/3rd the lobby uses now is parachute early and only land after Gauntlet spawns. So you get about 30 people rushing it. And because it's usually outside towns, the person that gets it has free reign to rack up kills against people with no weapons, and the lobby shrinks quickly, and he dies less often. If he dies even once it's kinda miraculous.

Playing normally, every time I get good enough loot to want to hunt him down, I ended up dying beforehand. Had a damn bush camper snipe me right after I won a 4-man battle. UGH. I only ever fought against Thanos once because I rushed to him early with poor loot.. I just wanted to see him once lol. I maybe did 200 damage before he killed me.

Also, because loot is much better quality in this mode, dying early while playing normally is a bit easier (when you're as bad as I especially).

It's a fun mode but a little disappointed at the cheap strat I noted above. Maybe spawn should be later or there shouldn't be an initial circle telling you the area it'll spawn in. I tried the delayed chute strat once and it was like the dumbest shit ever lol. Chance of being 1st to the gauntlet is so rare. You may as well land and hope meteor lands next to you... because with being in the sky, you need to be the 1 guy that is luckily the closest, and be able to get feet on ground first. And if you aren't, good luck getting a weapon.

Also seems like they changed his health quickly.. its 200 shield and 800 health now, was changed pretty early yesterday from 300/700.

Cybsled

Shroud kept getting the gauntlet last night. He tried the rush meteor strat, but kept losing. So instead he just landed normally, got some weapons, and headshot the shit out of Thanos lol

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Shroud kept getting the gauntlet last night. He tried the rush meteor strat, but kept losing. So instead he just landed normally, got some weapons, and headshot the shit out of Thanos lol

Yea the streamers play normally, but they are capable of carrying games anyway so only makes sense. I saw Ninja, Sypher, Dakotaz all get him fairly easily by killing him. My problem is surviving with weapons and then actually being able to engage him, never had the chance last night. But I was playing like shit too.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Re: Popularity

I think what was said above pretty much nails it. It has 3 main things:
  1. low barrier for entry (free)
  2. non-toxic (very limited talking contributes to this)
  3. Fast games (the average game for somebody is probably 5-10 minutes and then you can quickly just jump into another game)
A fourth point that probably gets overlooked is there's no advancement in terms of ranks. You have the battle pass which is for just cosmetic stuff but unlike games like Overwatch/CSGO/etc., there's not an advancement system. I think a lot of rage comes from losing time/losing rank especially when your success is somewhat dependent on who your playing with. Fortnite removes that aspect completely.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Re: Popularity

I think what was said above pretty much nails it. It has 3 main things:
  1. low barrier for entry (free)
  2. non-toxic (very limited talking contributes to this)
  3. Fast games (the average game for somebody is probably 5-10 minutes and then you can quickly just jump into another game)
A fourth point that probably gets overlooked is there's no advancement in terms of ranks. You have the battle pass which is for just cosmetic stuff but unlike games like Overwatch/CSGO/etc., there's not an advancement system. I think a lot of rage comes from losing time/losing rank especially when your success is somewhat dependent on who your playing with. Fortnite removes that aspect completely.

+1 to the Rank/MMR point.

It's really a big reason I'll rage in those other games. No obvious ranking system in FN eliminates rage... but if you REALLY want to be ranked, there is fortnitemaster.com and also the Leaderboards in-game. Some people may strive for a high Win% or kills or whatever, but without it being some rolled-up number in your face, most people can just ignore it and won't think about it.

I do wonder if matchmaking has a hidden MMR.. or if you can truly get bad/new players in same games as the "Master" players.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
+1 to the Rank/MMR point.

It's really a big reason I'll rage in those other games. No obvious ranking system in FN eliminates rage... but if you REALLY want to be ranked, there is fortnitemaster.com and also the Leaderboards in-game. Some people may strive for a high Win% or kills or whatever, but without it being some rolled-up number in your face, most people can just ignore it and won't think about it.

I do wonder if matchmaking has a hidden MMR.. or if you can truly get bad/new players in same games as the "Master" players.

I'll be honest, I've been playing this game for a few months now and I've probably visited the leaderboard 3-4 times at the most. Sometimes I'm curious how many kills I have but other than that I don't see much point to it. If there is a hidden MMR, Epic has designed the game to make that inconsequential. I know in some games once you get to the last 10 it's pretty obvious the skill level of players vs. when you initially jump in. The game is simple enough where my 11 year old can play it and she doesn't play shooters but takes a long time to master.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I tried this game finally, seems pretty fun.

I have no fucking idea how you actually land faster when your paraglider pops open? either way, my very first game; i had some potato kid trying to shoot me and i just cleaved his ass down with my mining pick which was pretty fucking funny then immediately died

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
There's no way to land faster with the glider as everybody goes the same speed once it opens. You just need to get used to the map and where you need to jump from to make yourself land on your target without having to circle around forever while the people that do know this land and take your loot.

Needless

Toe Sucker
There's no way to land faster with the glider as everybody goes the same speed once it opens. You just need to get used to the map and where you need to jump from to make yourself land on your target without having to circle around forever while the people that do know this land and take your loot.

Yeah i think i realized that after when i was watching singsing play it. He would drop pretty far away from where he actually wanted to land and glide over there without circling around like a dumbass lol

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah i think i realized that after when i was watching singsing play it. He would drop pretty far away from where he actually wanted to land and glide over there without circling around like a dumbass lol

Yeah, initial tip is you want to aim below where your target is and then pull up once your below the horizon of your target. Sometimes you come in too low but you get the hang of it afterwords. Depending on the the bus route you can also get tricky ones where you have to go over or around a hill (mainly Tilted but then you get to hit the towers anyway) but those are few and far between.