Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah i think i realized that after when i was watching singsing play it. He would drop pretty far away from where he actually wanted to land and glide over there without circling around like a dumbass lol

Also to get to ground faster, position over low ground (flat ground, water, dusty divot), your glider opens a set height from the ground below you. So you can aim over low ground and glide to a rooftop/hill etc faster.

I was diving over Dusty Divot and gliding to Retail Row, as an example. A lot depends on bus trajectory too. Try to avoid being over hills/mountains or your glider opens much earlier

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've won a lot of games on PS4. Here are some of my top tips (in order from start of match to Victory Royale)

1) Change your control scheme to Builder Pro. It's like putting a cheat code into the game.
2) Use the pre-match lobby to start planning your drop spot and pre-edit your building pieces. I like to change the roof to a more fort-friendly design.
3) Drop a minimum of 1 square away from your intended target and try to have your glider deploy over the lowest elevation possible. This will help you hit your drop target quickly.
4) Learn your chest/floor loot spawns at each location and develop a "loot route" to maximize your efficiency. Always try to target an initial drop spot that has the possibility of spawning 2-3 chests in a small area. Examples: The Lodge at Lonely Lodge, the main Church at Haunted Hills, the Disco at the depot northeast of Flush Factory, etc. This will drastically increase your chances of getting a strong starting weapon and shields.
5) Speaking of shields, ALWAYS drink shields as quickly as possible, ALWAYS try to have 100% shields, and ALWAYS try to have shields in your inventory.
6) And speaking of shields again, when considering what to hold in your inventory (given that you are at 100% shields already), the order is: Chug Jug > Small Shields > 50% Shields > Med Kits > Slurp Juices > Bandages
7) When in open ground, assume you will be shot. This will keep you on your toes, ready to build at a moment's notice. Run in zig-zag patterns and mix in jumps.
8) When you get shot, build. Train your brain to press "O" on PS4 and start building. Walls, ramps, roofs... doesn't matter. Anything is better than your naked ass standing around in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out where the bullets are coming from.
9) Use sound. If you're not playing with a decent set of surround headphones, you're doing yourself a massive disservice. 25% of my kills come from hearing my opponents before they hear me.
10) Learn to build a 1x1 quickly. That's 4 walls and a ramp in the middle. Spend a few matches just practicing.
11) Don't be afraid of the first few storms. Too many players freak out about the storm and end up under-equipped or in bad position after the initial storms close. Feel free to spend some time in the first and even second storm. I'll gladly trade 30-40 damage in exchange for the opportunity to loot additional chests. I'll take even more damage if I have healing.
12) Always seek high ground. And, as each new circle is defined, check your map for elevated locations near the center of that circle. You should make your way towards those locations and try to be the first one to reach the top. If the final few circles close on that spot, you have a significant advantage, especially if you're skilled at building.
13) Learn to push with ramps. It's the key difference between good players and great players. Always try to push a player that's in the process of building a fort. They are usually distracted and the sound of their own building will mask the sound of yours.
14) Rockets are king during end-game. Do not pass up the opportunity to grab a launcher.
15) When looting after a kill, build at least 2 walls. If you're going to stick out like a sore thumb, at least protect yourself a little bit.
16) Don't wait to get position in the final few circles. If you wait too long, other players will swoop in and claim the superior elevated territory.
17) In a 1v1 final, pressure is key. Never give your opponent an opportunity to breathe. If you have rockets, launch them. If you have a ton of AR ammo, never stop shooting. Rockets and bullets will slip through panic building. Harass, harass, harass. Constant pressure will cause players to make mistakes, and that will be your opportunity to strike. The only exception to this rule is if you're low on supplies, in which case the opposite is recommended -- be as sneaky and low-key as possible and pick your spot to strike very carefully.
18) Never stand still.

I could list a hundred more... which is probably why I love Fortnite so much. There's just so much depth of strategy here. I'm constantly learning new techniques and tricks to improve my game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
If anyone wants to duo look me up : Ravishingx

There's a Play matches with friends challenge and I have no friends. :(

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Someone keeps trying to brute force my account, I assume it's due to the popularity of this game. Jokes on them though because I don't play this shit.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Someone keeps trying to brute force my account, I assume it's due to the popularity of this game. Jokes on them though because I don't play this shit.

Yeah make sure to two factor your account. I went to work one morning and 3 hours into my shift I had over 30 emails from Epic with IPs from many different countries giving me my two-factor login code.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I've been playing a bunch of survival/crafting games lately, and I remembered that Fortnite used to be one.

I have absolutely no desire to play Fortnite BR, because the building aspect seems retarded to me, but I also can't find any fucking information about the original Fortnite anymore.

Did they just scrap it altogether now that they're raking the money in from BR?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I've been playing a bunch of survival/crafting games lately, and I remembered that Fortnite used to be one.

I have absolutely no desire to play Fortnite BR, because the building aspect seems retarded to me, but I also can't find any fucking information about the original Fortnite anymore.

Did they just scrap it altogether now that they're raking the money in from BR?

It actually isn't that bad. In terms of BR gameplay fortnite is hands down better. Third person view aside. Original fortnite you can still play around with for free. Seems to be some kind of horde survival game. Fortnite is some good shit. Going in hot is actually fun because looting and equipping is much better and item drops are generally more fair. Shotguns are SUPER deadly though,. BEWARE.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It actually isn't that bad. In terms of BR gameplay fortnite is hands down better. Third person view aside. Original fortnite you can still play around with for free. Seems to be some kind of horde survival game. Fortnite is some good shit. Going in hot is actually fun because looting and equipping is much better and item drops are generally more fair. Shotguns are SUPER deadly though,. BEWARE.
The PvE isn't free still, right? I paid last year and can still access, so not abandoned, but still no desire to slog through it. I don't know how much dev time goes toward it, doesn't seem like much. Afaik the end area is still unfinished.

The PvE is fun for maybe a day, but you soon realize the many flaws.

First starting area is way too easy. There are about 3 different grinding systems, and other layers of bs strapped on top of what could be a decent game

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Save the World is not free but there was a bug that allowed some people to login one time but typically once they logged out it was done.

I still enjoy StW and I didn't put a ton of time into it when I first got it. Devs usually add or adjust something weekly. It was pretty bad around the 3.0 patch but since 3.2 the dev team seems to have their shit together. Supposedly plans coming for adding more skill points, handling AFK/low level leachers, and this week we are getting the ability to adjust the stats on our guns. Obviously it'll cost new mats and shit but its a pretty nice QoL change as long as the requirements aren't fuck all ridiculous. They also have events they are fairly rewarding and have a lot of quests associated with them, some with unique maps.

Its still grindy as fuck and has some annoying people/QoL problems, but the devs are definitely trying.

Item recombobulator

faille

Molten Core Raider
I can't get a handle on the shooting in this game. Feels so random most of the time. How the fuck can people take me out when I only have a pixel to aim at and no idea how much the bullet drop is?
As for building, don't think I'm ever going to be good at it which puts me at a massive disadvantage.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
If you're on PC you really have to play with it and dedicate certain keybinds to for walls, floors, and stairs (not F keys). The easy mode noobie way is just at the beginning of each round press Q, switch to your stairs and it'll stay on the stairs when you switch back to building. So you get into combat, press Q and its already on the stairs, start building steps and running up them and once you get the height advantage you rain down bullets. Try to build to layers side by side so they can't just tear down your structure. If you're on PS4, switch to the Builder Pro controller layout which is not the default.

Practice sniping to see the weapon drop, its not a lot really.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I can't get a handle on the shooting in this game. Feels so random most of the time. How the fuck can people take me out when I only have a pixel to aim at and no idea how much the bullet drop is?
As for building, don't think I'm ever going to be good at it which puts me at a massive disadvantage.

What games are you use to? PUBG? Overwatch? CS:GO?

FortNite does feel "unique" compared to other FPS but it really isn't bad after a while. I find myself hitting shots that would seem near impossible for me at some long distances.

Basically a few things to work on:

Mouse Sensitivity. Lower the better. I forget what's the rule of thumb, but I think 1 swipe across my pad is about a quarter turn for my character.

Cone of Fire/Bloom: Yes, FortNite has an RNG element, but there are ways to decrease it. Stand Still, Crouch, Aim Down Sight. Do a google search and you can find tips. Here's a reddit post:
Cone of fire: This is how far away from your point of aim a fired round can potentially deviate (AKA bullet spread). The diagram illustrates why weapons are less accurate the further away their target is.

The weapons in Fortnite have a minimum (starting/first shot) cone of fire that varies depending on the state of the character firing the weapon. The smallest (most accurate) cone of fire is for a character that is crouched and stationary. Standing increases the size of your cone of fire and moving increases it even further (this is why strafing back and forth while firing is the least accurate way to shoot.) While firing the cone of fire increases again because of the bloom mechanic.

Bloom: Bloom is how much the weapons cone of fire increases with each consecutive shot fired. This is why firing quickly makes the weapons less accurate. Pacing shots and allowing the cone of fire for the weapon to reset is key to landing shots outside of close range engagements.

Gun Rarity decreases Bloom. Higher rarity means more accuracy, as well as damage

Shotguns are King early game and close quarter fights: a Blue Pump can 1 shot anyone, even with 100shield/100health. Shotguns are so good because even open field fights often turn into close quarter battles where you try to build above opponent and shotty them in the head.

Building is the MOST important aspect of the game. After about a week now I'm finally starting to "Build before Shoot" in my games. I still have keybinding issues during tense fights where I want a floor but click a wall, or whatever, but it just takes time to get it all down. Definitely improving! For myself I put Floor on Tab, Wall on Q and Ramp on E.
Also I completely unbound Rotate because it was screwing me up a lot. Default is R and if I was in build mode but thought I was in Weapon mode, I'd R to Reload and instead flip my stairs around and completely get f'd. There's practically never a time I want to rotate anything. I want all my stuff facing forward. A trick I've seen is to preset the Roof tile as a backwards ramp if you really want to so you can ramp DOWN if necessary... but in most cases you can just use Floors.. like down a cliff just put a floor every 2 tiles you fall.

Also to get better: (after ninja can turn off as its random highlights)

Also this: (9.5 min of random highlights after Ninja)

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The PvE isn't free still, right? I paid last year and can still access, so not abandoned, but still no desire to slog through it. I don't know how much dev time goes toward it, doesn't seem like much. Afaik the end area is still unfinished.

The PvE is fun for maybe a day, but you soon realize the many flaws.

First starting area is way too easy. There are about 3 different grinding systems, and other layers of bs strapped on top of what could be a decent game
Well this post basically sold me on not trying it.

I mean, I guess at this point I'm waiting until it's F2P, since it'd be dumb to pay for it when it could be released soon. But even then it doesn't sound super awesome.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Well this post basically sold me on not trying it.

I mean, I guess at this point I'm waiting until it's F2P, since it'd be dumb to pay for it when it could be released soon. But even then it doesn't sound super awesome.

Yes I'd never recommend the PvE game to anyone. Unless it's free.
I'm really baffled at their design decisions tbh. The amount of progression is astonishing. And it's all just massive grinds.
It's like they were trying to figure out how to add hooks and couldn't decide on just one or two, so they added them all. It's gotta be like 5 different "grindy" progression things.

Heroes
Weapons/Traps
Survivors (People)
Research Points (Time based, can accumulate offline too)
Skill Points (winning games)
missions: send out some of your spare heroes to do missions to acquire more loot/mats.

All this not even counting playing the actual mission-centric game and doing Storm Base Defenses, and grinding for mats/Lightning in a bottle/etc

Beyond that, the first entire area is braindead easy and takes about a week to get through it all before you start hitting more challenging stuff.

Also not sure how populated the PvE is anymore which could be an issue, as the more challenging stuff is better/easier with a team. Otherwise you need to over-level yourself and go back to do stuff that won't reward you with much, other than quest completions.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
One of the biggest issues for me in PvE is your power level (survivors) and how much it take to increase it. I've made it to the third zone and i'm power level 46. The problem is you usually have to grind out your required power level before you can move on because you've finished the quests way before. In addition, since people run into this problem, they join higher level games because they don't want to grind which hurts the group. Nothing sucks more than spending 30min using your materials to make a badass defense but still fail because some leaves the game, using a low level character / bad character, or just doesn't have the required damage output to defend the fort. They tie your quest/daily progress to completing matches but failing a game nets you nothing. You lose any quest progress and what ever materials you've spent in the game. It really sucks to lose a game.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Patch 4.2 tomorrow, supposedly bringing Epic/Legendary Burst AR.
If stats are correct, 1 burst to head = 198 dmg.

faille

Molten Core Raider
What games are you use to? PUBG? Overwatch? CS:GO?

FortNite does feel "unique" compared to other FPS but it really isn't bad after a while. I find myself hitting shots that would seem near impossible for me at some long distances.

Basically a few things to work on:

Mouse Sensitivity. Lower the better. I forget what's the rule of thumb, but I think 1 swipe across my pad is about a quarter turn for my character.

Cone of Fire/Bloom: Yes, FortNite has an RNG element, but there are ways to decrease it. Stand Still, Crouch, Aim Down Sight. Do a google search and you can find tips. Here's a reddit post:

Gun Rarity decreases Bloom. Higher rarity means more accuracy, as well as damage

Shotguns are King early game and close quarter fights: a Blue Pump can 1 shot anyone, even with 100shield/100health. Shotguns are so good because even open field fights often turn into close quarter battles where you try to build above opponent and shotty them in the head.

Building is the MOST important aspect of the game. After about a week now I'm finally starting to "Build before Shoot" in my games. I still have keybinding issues during tense fights where I want a floor but click a wall, or whatever, but it just takes time to get it all down. Definitely improving! For myself I put Floor on Tab, Wall on Q and Ramp on E.
Also I completely unbound Rotate because it was screwing me up a lot. Default is R and if I was in build mode but thought I was in Weapon mode, I'd R to Reload and instead flip my stairs around and completely get f'd. There's practically never a time I want to rotate anything. I want all my stuff facing forward. A trick I've seen is to preset the Roof tile as a backwards ramp if you really want to so you can ramp DOWN if necessary... but in most cases you can just use Floors.. like down a cliff just put a floor every 2 tiles you fall.

Also to get better: (after ninja can turn off as its random highlights)

Also this: (9.5 min of random highlights after Ninja)

Cheers for the tips. Battlefield series is my main FPS which I"m pretty good at.

I guess I'm not terrible at fortnite since I've managed to get a few wins in the week I've been playing but just can't get a handle on the long range aiming. Probably because there's so few chance to practice. I tend to camp it up, so its rare I come across another player and when I do, I might get one open shot at them. My favourite item is the bushes by far :)