Foundation

Qhue

Trump's Staff
In the 1940s they only had a rudimentary concept of faster than light travel so Asimov wisely chose to just ignore details like that most of the time. There were no ideas about jump-ships, most of that sort of notion only comes about in fiction after people are savvy enough to realize what a pain in the balls FTL is, and therefore choose to bypass it entirely via wormholes, folding space, hyperspace etc.

Is Lee Pace even in Foundation season 2? I'm guessing they set up the genetic dynasty concept in the show for that express purpose but it's certainly not the sort of thing Asimov ever wrote about.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

so appears they got the maths wrong all over the place (big surprise)
on show gaal says the 50,000 light-year trip will take 876 days, but it was supposed to be 1878 days, which comes up later on the ship when they have like 4 years left.
apparently goyer said early on, it was a 5 year trip and they were going 0.5 x speed of light. then at the end of the season said, they made an error and calculated the trip being 50 light-years.

even if they used 50ly in the 5 year trip, that would still be like 10x speed of light, dunno maybe they are going to have some other magic travel tech

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
one of the head writers mentioned in an interview he hates math so yeah, i wouldn't expect a whole lotta science in this shit

it'll be interesting to see what happens with The Three Body Problem, that chinese book series is like 100x all about math and i think netflix is adapting it right now

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya, but the math thing is what irked me more than it should have in the show. Shit just didnt make sense at times and then for the season to end based off a time difference like that.. it's like.. ffs can you at least get this shit right if you're going to have it meaningful to the story?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Show shouldn't have been called Foundation, as its loosely based on the books. The reason it was so long considered unfilmable was that there are no main characters, other than Hari Seldon, who is long dead (as the book spans 1000 years). To properly make Foundation would require an ensemble cast with no mainstay. The politics, religion, and worldbuilding was to be center stage. The writers on this current either misunderstood that or could not fathom a way to craft a show around that. Its unfortunate, as the sets, costumes, SFX, etc.. are all top notch. The one thing I DID think was handled very well, was the approach to Emperor Cleon, which gave them some sense of continuity in regards to character. They could have anchored with that.

The gender swapping of most of the primary characters also hurt this, as did the ridiculous subplots they wove around them. Gaal was a footnote in the book. Nothing more. Salvor was a shrewd politician that was able to see the big picture.

Lastly, the asinine way they decided to portray the vault made no sense at all.

The cast wasn't bad to be honest. The actors were handed a mess to manage and did their best. This was 100% bad writing by someone who had the hubris to think they could outwrite Asimov, but all they achieved in doing was highlighting how little they understood about Foundation.

• 1Like

Goatface

saw there was a teaser shown at comic con, but isn't online afaik. figured season 2 would be coming soon, but they finished shooting last month and is projected to start April 23

spronk

FPS noob
summer 2023

first season was really bad but Lee Pace was great. this looks just as bad.

Goatface

was hoping they were going to time skip and get rid of warrior chick. math chick was asleep for like 100+ years i think.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
summer 2023

first season was really bad but Lee Pace was great. this looks just as bad.
This show fucking sucks, but Lee Pace is amazing in it. Plus, I absolutely love the visuals.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

July 14th, season 1 sucked but it was tolerable in a MSTK bad scifi space opera way, just wait until all the episodes drop and binge if you really wanna watch. If you didn't watch I wouldn't recommend you start.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

July 14th, season 1 sucked but it was tolerable in a MSTK bad scifi space opera way, just wait until all the episodes drop and binge if you really wanna watch. If you didn't watch I wouldn't recommend you start.
I like Jared Harris and Lee Pace - both carried the show for what it was. I feel obligated to watch these types of shows in some way because I want to support the making of future shows like it. But man the start of this one just took me a couple tries to get into, but was tolerable once I did. Raised By Wolves at least had me interested from the very start. That show just left me confused all the fkn time, lol.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Never read the books but what's up with this show being full of "special black women" who are total retards?

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Never read the books but what's up with this show being full of "special black women" who are total retards?

I've been wondering this as well...with all the other shows on TV while on the topic.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dunno but it's a super racist trope and I'm astonished by the bigotry

• 1Like