Foundation

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Isn’t the chick on Terminus Salvor Hardin? I get confused by all the male characters they recast as females.

I swear I thought I heard them mention that name at the very end of the opening scene in episode 1.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
By the end of first episode it was pretty clear it was a different person, i assumed the different name, time skip, and ending dialogue were giveaways.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Fuck this gay shit

Fandom wiki
Salvor Hardin was one of the greatest mayors ever to rule Terminus. He was well-known for his masterful manipulation of foreign affairs and long-time record of five terms as mayor. While mayor, he attended the first Seldon recording in the Time Vault, revealing the unimportance of the Encyclopedia; in the resulting confusion, he overthrew the ruling council of the time and took power.

Some fag shit
Salvor Hardin is one of the main characters of Foundation. She is portrayed by Leah Harvey in the upcoming Apple TV+ series. Intuitive, with foxlike intelligence, Salvor is the protective Warden of Terminus. Known as the Warden of Terminus, Salvor Hardin rescues young colonist Poly Versiof after he attempts to approach the Vault.

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I think you have to expect gender swapping in a TV adaptation in this day and age. It's been a few decades since I read it but as far as I recall all of the main characters in the novels are male. Gaal was also male in the book.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I think you have to expect gender swapping in a TV adaptation in this day and age.

No, I don't have to expect nor accept it.

That is limp dick loser think.

"You should always expect a pile of shit on top of everything!"

What kind of pathetic fuck are you?

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 5 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The black chick just doesnt do a convincing mathematician. After 2 episodes its pretty grating.

Every time she talks about math its more like some mysticism or female intuition or some shit. Or The Force.

Compare this with a Beautiful Mind or even Good Will Hunting. This is a Womens Studies Major with a minor in Mindfulness or something, not a mathematician.

On re-reading this, I think I've undersold it. Its not just that she doesnt come across as a math geek. She just doesnt come across as smart or intellectual at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a valid point neverless. Many of the awesome novels we grew up reading had a primarily male cast and next to no kick-ass female characters.

Partly because of the mostly male audience, until recently anyway, and also a reflection of the times this stuff was written in.

Hell, Dune was written only a year after segregation ended in the States so it's fairly understandable there are zero black characters in it.

As to whether it's right to change characters from male to female to level out the gender balance I'm not so sure. I'm torn between being a purist and to making stuff accessible to newer audiences.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah, after all, women can't enjoy watching movies with male leads, just like men can't enjoy watching movies with female leads, and little black kids can only look up to black actors.

Thats why they cast so many of the Wakandans white and so many of the Handmaids male, it was important to make the material "accessible".

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
No, I don't have to expect nor accept it.
You either haven't watched any TV in the last decade, or you don't know what the word expect means, if you expect a show in 2021 to have an all male cast.

• 1Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, after all, women can't enjoy watching movies with male leads, just like men can't enjoy watching movies with female leads, and little black kids can only look up to black actors.

Thats why they cast so many of the Wakandans white and so many of the Handmaids male, it was important to make the material "accessible".
What's hilarious is that these POC actors are cast in ridiculous roles. Like that Bridgerton. I can't imagine that appealing to a black audience.

Even Wakanda itself is complete fantasy. In no version of Earth would there ever be an advanced civilization evolving out of Africa.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the gender bending shit is just SJWs coopting shit as theirs, since they have no creative bones in their body's and can't create their own stories. Instead, they just insert their horseshit into other people's work. Typical dinger behavior.

That said, I'm just watching for the cinematography (my favorite part about most movies/TV) and Day fucking shit up.

spronk

FPS noob
I wasn't a huge fan of Empire in the first 2 episodes, but I absolutely loved the trio in the third. Its soooo bizarre though, its like it was written specifically for me, someone much older than the average TV viewer contemplating their life and regrets while looking at their legacy. Outside of old fucks, who is gonna appreciate that?

And then everything to do with Salvor Hardin was weird as fuck. I've read all the Foundation books and know whats going on, and could barely understand whats going on, where they are, who is who, etc. I can't possibly imagine anyone new to the franchise is able to follow what the fuck is going on. Its so poorly written, so poorly shot, and so poorly staged/directed/acted. What on earth are they thinking.

A couple of podcasts (who do general TV) mentioned that they dropped off after just the 2nd episode, which I guess is good because the third episode might as well be in Hindi for all the sense most people will be able to make of the world. This is such extremely shitty world building, but I love the aesthetics, looks, tone, and Empire. Too bad the showrunner and writers so badly translated the story. Why they keep trying to make everything mysterious and the audience off edge instead of being straightforward with the story is so stupid.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, this drags on. I could board a colony ship, travel to Terminus, and touch the Vault myself before this show gets around to it. If this entire season is just a tease to the Vault and a black screen cliffhanger, people are gonna be salty.