Foundation

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So finally got around watching episode 3 and 4, much better than episode 2 which really feels like it didn’t belong.

i enjoyed both episodes, so I’m going to continue watching for now. It’s not great but it has interesting ideas that I’m curious about.

The fact that show looks amazing helps a lot too.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I got hallway through ep3 before turning it off...

Was Salvor Hardin a magical negro in the books?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
the books had no black people and only two women characters lol

but i mean, it shouldn't really be a shock, this is one of the executive producers and writers
As someone who didn’t grow up reading Asimov, I didn’t have any investment in whether this character spoke a certain way, which meant I was focused on getting [the show] from one emotional place to another emotional place. You always want that mix, or you’ll get no new point of view.”

That’s not to say Jackson is a cynic. He sees genre fiction like Foundation or Raising Dion as an opportunity to explore real-life ideas and injustices, and he always has. “I grew up on the Chris Claremont and John Byrne run of X-Men. I was a little kid reading superhero stories where one leader was explicitly a metaphor for MLK and the other was explicitly Malcolm X. That was my introduction to genre, and that was a much cooler way of understanding those concepts than watching the news,” he says. “It’s only recently that I’ve noticed these Gamergate reactionary cis-het-white dude bros saying you can’t be brown or a woman in genre. That’s a new thing for me. The idea of genre as a space to express these things was intrinsic. The idea of genre as an expression of revolutionary thought existed my whole life.”

• 2Barf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Jackson is a black man. He thinks of Covid-19 as just one of two pandemics currently ravaging society and his industry. “The first time a cop threw me up against a car for nothing, I was 14 years old walking to my super elite, super expensive prep school,”

Emma Grey Ellis is a staff writer at WIRED, specializing in internet culture and propaganda,

1631826887315.png

• 1Rustled

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Can I skip this shit? I'm a sucker for sigh fi, but I'm definitely pretty fucking tired of woke media. This definitely set off my gaydar, and these comments aren't making me feel bad about that preconception.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Can I skip this shit? I'm a sucker for sigh fi, but I'm definitely pretty fucking tired of woke media. This definitely set off my gaydar, and these comments aren't making me feel bad about that preconception.
You can skip everything. Nothing is required of you. And most importantly:

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's like two parts to this show. One good, one boring. Empire storyline is good, Terminus storyline is boring.

I havent read the books but I hear book reader write that this isn't a good representation of the books.

Other than that, I would say wait and see how the rest of the season turns out.

spronk

FPS noob
skip for now, a 4/10 show at best with a lot of cringe. still like 6 episodes to air

rewatching sopranos season 1 now (haven't seen a single scene since the show ended) and goddamn its crazy how much better TV used to be. not a race thing either, next rewatch will likely be The Wire and im 100% sure it will hold up as the best tv show ever made.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Empire is killing it. The rest is some variation of "meh" to downright boring. I haven't seen anything overly "woke"...yet...

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The killer being that the whole Empire stuff is new. I feel that the whole series is a reimagining of the original story.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I havent read the books but I hear book reader write that this isn't a good representation of the books.
The show is not really representing the books. I would say 90% of the subplots and even some of the main characters are made up for the show.
The only connection to the books are the names of some of the characters, and the main setting / overarching plot (foundation, empire, psychohistory etc).

The show is ok so far, I'm not really hooked on the Terminus storyline, but I do enjoy scifi and will continue with it. It's definitely not as enjoyable to me as raised by wolves (s2 when?) - to compare it to another recent big budget scifi show.

spronk

FPS noob
Its also a bit annoying that the show seems to be going out of its way to rewrite or misunderstand one of the core ideas of Foundation. That individuals cannot be predicted, but massive populations will tend to be very predictable in how they react to crisis.

The books went out of its way to talk about how hundreds of Foundation mathematicians took months and years to predict how Emperor Cleon would react when faced with the Hari Seldon crisis, and even then it wasn't a sure thing he would send them to Terminus. The show sort of talks about this but its mostly a throw-away line thats rushed over.

Its also super, super annoying that Salvor Hardin is some magical female that sees visions, is connected to The Artifact (which wasnt a thing in the books), etc. The entire point of Terminus/Foundation was that the galactic rim societies would behave in certain ways, and societies with advanced tech would be forced to react in certain ways. It certainly did not involve a singular person being smarter than everyone else, having some connection to a weird floating magic stone, and saving the day.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

The show is ok so far, I'm not really hooked on the Terminus storyline, but I do enjoy scifi and will continue with it. It's definitely not as enjoyable to me as raised by wolves (s2 when?) - to compare it to another recent big budget scifi show.
supposedly next summer

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

Its also super, super annoying that Salvor Hardin is some magical female that sees visions, is connected to The Artifact (which wasnt a thing in the books), etc. The entire point of Terminus/Foundation was that the galactic rim societies would behave in certain ways, and societies with advanced tech would be forced to react in certain ways. It certainly did not involve a singular person being smarter than everyone else, having some connection to a weird floating magic stone, and saving the day.

Getting some Michael Burnham STD vibes from it =\

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That individuals cannot be predicted, but massive populations will tend to be very predictable in how they react to crisis.
Salvor has a narration(maybe it's Gaal?)in episode 4 about this.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the only reason I watch this now is because it looks nice.

I mean, fuck this awful storytelling.

There's an expectation shields are going to drop so the defenders stand around in plain sight not hiding behind anything just waiting to be shot.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
latest episode, episode 5, is probably the second best episode of the series and hopefully things start improving again. Salvor Hardin though is really, really the worst actor and character on the show. She looks like fucking Grace Jones but acts worse than the main guy from The Room

and yeah the choices in the episode are just bizarre, no one feels real in any way just caricatures of people

i like the anacreon strategy, "ok once the shields drop, be sure to run in with guns blazing, hit nobody, and then just walk around and melee people. DONT ASK WHY WE ARE DOING THIS"

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
you guys like the sandsnake like girlfight?

lol

ya everything happening on terminus is just silly from a story standpoint and acting standpoint